Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SecureWatch Alarm System Engineering Code

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Turbo33

Hi,

I was away for the night and a neighbour contacted me to say my house alarm went off, when i got back to house i had a 'No Rkp Comms' flashing on and off on display. The fault LED on the keypad panel is on contiunously as yellow no flashing, just steady on yellow LED. The alarm is 8 years old and I rang the installer and he said most likely the battery, so i got a new one and connected it and still the same error comes up?

Any help greatly appricated. Reading here looks like i need a new keypad panel, any idea the cost of keypad panel ( i dont see pricing on their website ) and is it a simply replace procedure or will it need programming from HKC?

thanks
    T.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Turbo33 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was away for the night and a neighbour contacted me to say my house alarm went off, when i got back to house i had a 'No Rkp Comms' flashing on and off on display. The fault LED on the keypad panel is on contiunously as yellow no flashing, just steady on yellow LED. The alarm is 8 years old and I rang the installer and he said most likely the battery, so i got a new one and connected it and still the same error comes up?

Any help greatly appricated. Reading here looks like i need a new keypad panel, any idea the cost of keypad panel ( i dont see pricing on their website ) and is it a simply replace procedure or will it need programming from HKC?

thanks
    T.

Hi Turbo33,

This is telling you the keypad is not communicating with the panel. First thing to do is down power the alarm by removing the mains and battery. As always be careful as there is live mains inside the panel. Wait 10 seconds and power it back up. If it still says the same remove the keypad off the wall and wire it into the control box on a small length of cable to rule out a problem with the cable. When removing the keypad be careful not to cross the cables as there is a fused 12v supply to the keypad. If after that you still have the same problem it could be the keypad is gone faulty.

The keypads cost €70 plus vat.

Another thing to note is if the keypad is ID on to the alarm you will need the engineer code to delete it to put a new keypad onto the alarm, but hopefully this wont be the case and swapping them out will solve the issue for you.

Any problems, you know where we are..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Also check that the red led on the board in the control panel is flashing.
    If it's steady the software has crashed.

Thanks Alter and Jnealon for your help.

I tried power down the alarm and removing the battery for 20 seconds and I still get the 'No Rkp Comms', I didnt try checking the wire as I am assumming this has never been touched for 8 years in the house.

Anyway a friend of friend is lending me a keypad to try, the only thing is how do I know if i need to get the engineering code, where do i get the ID for the keypad? if so is it diffcult to get engineering code from the system?

thanks
    T.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Generally a lot of installers are not too happy about giving out engineer codes.
    Have you tried defaulting the system?
    Who Installed it?

• Advertisement

Hi koolkid,

how do you do a 'default system'? Can you explain to me the importance of this Code from the installer point of view after the warrenty has expired on the alarm system.
    Also once the warrenty has expired, should the installer come back and remove this code ( is there a charge involved for removing this code ) ? so as to allow other installers/engineers to fix the system? I dont want to be in a position to always go back to the same installer after the warrently has expired.

I dont think the board will allow me to put the company's name up as to who installed it? i think it would be classed as advertising, which is not allowed.

cheers
    T.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To default the system:
    1. Turn off the mains supply at the fuse board & disconnect the battery in the panel
    2. Remove the factory link marked LK1
    3. Wait 30 seconds & power up the panel by reconnecting the battery
    4. If system powers up armed enter default user code 01111 . If the system disarms it is unlocked. Enter the default engineer code 04567
    5. Close up the panel
    6. Turn back on the mains supply from the fuse board.
    If the above does not work then the system is engineer locked.
    The engineer code protect the vital settings programmed into the system.
    Various installers have differing views & policys regarding engineering codes.
    This is my view of them?:
    I belive all systems should be engineer locked. If a panel is not it can be quickly disarmed using the above method. All company's must install an alarm system to standard EN50131. That standard would be valid for a year. No reputable company is going to stand over an installation where the user has access to engineer menus. If you are claiming a discount on your home insurance policy for having an alarm installed to EN50131 that standard must be maintained by having the system serviced every year.
    If that is the case the company certifying your system will again not certify the system if the end user has access to engineer mode.
    Should the company come back & unlock a panel after a year? No.
    What other household appliance would you expect this for?
    Should they charge to unlock your panel? That depends on the situation.
    Under normal circumstances I would not. However why should alarm company A call out to unlock your alarm for alarm company B when Alarm company B should be well capable of doing this themselves.
    It is a misconception that if a panel is locked no other company can service it. If an installer says that they are either too lazy to reprogramme the panel or do not have the knowledge or experience to unlock it themselves. Either way you should not employ them to look after your alarm system.
    With regard to mentioning a company name there is no problem, providing you are not posting unsupported negetive comments etc.
    However posting engineer codes on thread would not be acceptable.

Turbo33 wrote: »
    Thanks Alter and Jnealon for your help.

I tried power down the alarm and removing the battery for 20 seconds and I still get the 'No Rkp Comms', I didnt try checking the wire as I am assumming this has never been touched for 8 years in the house.

Anyway a friend of friend is lending me a keypad to try, the only thing is how do I know if i need to get the engineering code, where do i get the ID for the keypad? if so is it diffcult to get engineering code from the system?

thanks
    T.

Your welcome Turbo33,

Thats the best thing to do, not all installers ID the keypad on to the system so hopefully replacing the keypad will do the trick meaning you wont need the engineering code.

I would only try to default the control panel if you are confident that you will be able to reprogram the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

hi all
    anyone out there know how i should connect my heating to my alarm.
    i have relays in place to control the heating side i just want to know how does this connect to the alarm panal . i have a hkc sw812 with digi modem and a gsm-m dialler with 4 outputs on the gsm unit. i know i have to install a transformer next to d relays to reduce to 12v. any help would be great.

thanks again koolkid and Altor for your help, much clearer and better understanding now :)

• Advertisement

There is no need for a trafo. What you need is a relay with a 12VDC coil and 230 volt contacts with a current rating higher than that of your heating

ok tanx
    wel the relay wil only be turning on a pump for a heating zone. what output do i connect it to on the gsm unit so i can control by text

hi all
    anyone out there know how i should connect my heating to my alarm.
    i have relays in place to control the heating side i just want to know how does this connect to the alarm panal . i have a hkc sw812 with digi modem and a gsm-m dialler with 4 outputs on the gsm unit. i know i have to install a transformer next to d relays to reduce to 12v. any help would be great.

Hi seanwindle22,

If it is a hkc GSM you need to default the GSM to home automation mode. This will change the output 2 to heating for you. With this you can text the panel to turn the heating on or off the same with lights or even set up a time you want it to come on or go off. You will need a relay connected to output 2 of the HKC GSM for this to work.

hi altor many tanx for your reply
    yes it is a hkc gsm unit i have which has 4 outputs i already have relay in place for heating to be connected to output 2 as you say. just wondering u mentioned about defaulting d gsm unit for home automation how do i do this , also is it possible to control heating on 1 output and lighting on another. again many thanks

hi altor many tanx for your reply
    yes it is a hkc gsm unit i have which has 4 outputs i already have relay in place for heating to be connected to output 2 as you say. just wondering u mentioned about defaulting d gsm unit for home automation how do i do this , also is it possible to control heating on 1 output and lighting on another. again many thanks

Your welcome seanwindle22,

In the GSM service menu go to number 8 (load defaults). When you default it for home automation it will be set up as follows output 1 lights, output 2 heating, output 3 for gates. There is no need to change the outputs around, just connect lights to 1 and heating to output 2.

Any problems let us know..

many tanx again altor
    where is the gsm menu is it in the main engineers menu ya i have a hkc 812 panal with digi text modem connected to a gsm unit.

It's in the serial menu.
    Do you need a copy of the manual

many tanx again altor
    where is the gsm menu is it in the main engineers menu ya i have a hkc 812 panal with digi text modem connected to a gsm unit.

When you put in the engineering code go to the serial port menu. With the GSM only added it will bring you into the dialer menu to program the GSM.
    The digi text modem is for receiving texts through your phone line and will not be needed if you are just going to use the GSM as you can get texts for alarm activations plus control the lights and heating through the HKC GSM.
    Was the HKC GSM you have just used for monitoring the alarm ?

hi again altor
    yes i was using the gsm all along for monitoring the phone output was connected to the line input on the digi modem do i need to add the rs485 comms cards if i remove the digi modem i have a pair n all. i also have the installation manual and as u said when the gsm is only connected i can enter the gsm menu.

hi again altor
    yes i was using the gsm all along for monitoring the phone output was connected to the line input on the digi modem do i need to add the rs485 comms cards if i remove the digi modem i have a pair n all. i also have the installation manual and as u said when the gsm is only connected i can enter the gsm menu.

Thats correct, if you need any more info let us know.

• Advertisement

Jnealon wrote: »
    It's in the serial menu.
    Do you need a copy of the manual
    tanx for the reply jnealon
    do u have a copy of the manual i already have one but its not up to date its 3 years old.

tanx for the reply jnealon
    do u have a copy of the manual i already have one but its not up to date its 3 years old.
    sorry jnealon ya i have the install manual for hkc 812 and d digi modem but i have no programming menus or manual for the hkc gsm unit . if you have one it would be great for me to have a look at it
    many thanks jnealon

altor wrote: »
    Thats correct, if you need any more info let us know.
    sorry altor to keep bothering u
    i was only wondering whats output 4 for if it is a standard output can i use it to control a second zone for heating or can i programme outpuit 3 to control a second zone. Thanks again

I've sent you the manual by PM.

sorry altor to keep bothering u
    i was only wondering whats output 4 for if it is a standard output can i use it to control a second zone for heating or can i programme outpuit 3 to control a second zone. Thanks again

Its no bother, always happy to help.

Output 4 is for the cabinet tamper, you could change this to aux -ve and use that as a second zone for the heating. Output 3 is for gates so that would be no good for you.

Do you know what version GSM you have ?
    You will need version 2.04 for the home automation feature. If you where just using the GSM for monitoring i would say it is only version 1.13.

To check, go into the GSM service menu, then into GSM overview. It will tell you in there what version it is. If it not the proper version you will need a software upgrade to get the home automation feature.

hi altor
    thats great yes the gsm unit was workin on 2.02 version. i took out the panal and sent it to hkc and they flashed it with the new software 2.04 .i sure this wil do d job now
    thanks again im goin to install on tues

Jnealon wrote: »
    I've sent you the manual by PM.
    tanx jnealon
    but i have trouble opening it it say 'invalid attachment specified '

hi altor
    thats great yes the gsm unit was workin on 2.02 version. i took out the panal and sent it to hkc and they flashed it with the new software 2.04 .i sure this wil do d job now
    thanks again im goin to install on tues

Thats good, you need that version for it to work properly.
    I sent you a pm with regard the manual.

altor wrote: »
    Its no bother, always happy to help.

Output 4 is for the cabinet tamper, you could change this to aux -ve and use that as a second zone for the heating. Output 3 is for gates so that would be no good for you.

Do you know what version GSM you have ?
    You will need version 2.04 for the home automation feature. If you where just using the GSM for monitoring i would say it is only version 1.13.

To check, go into the GSM service menu, then into GSM overview. It will tell you in there what version it is. If it not the proper version you will need a software upgrade to get the home automation feature.
    hi altor many tanx for email
    im only wondering where do i change the o/p of output 4 from +ve to
    -ve so i can use it for the second zone for heating

• Advertisement

hi altor many tanx for email
    im only wondering where do i change the o/p of output 4 from +ve to
    -ve so i can use it for the second zone for heating

Sorry my mistake, it should of read "Output 4 is for the cabinet tamper, you could change output 1 to aux -ve and use that as a second zone for the heating"

You can only change output 1 and 2 this way if you need the two zones for the heating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement