Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house wiring.

Options
  • 14-03-2011 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hello, a friend of mine is in the process of getting his house wired and asked me to take a look at the work so far . the electrician has finished the first fix and i have a few concenrs about the job.
    he has screwed the socket boxes into the chases instead of using a bit of bonding to hold them in place. they are not plumb or level so i presume switces and sockets wont be level when the plastering is done.
    he has a bunch of wires running from upstairs attic down through the hotpress hollowcore into the utility room where the fuse board will be . should these wires be left exposed in the hotpress or should he have them covered in trunking .
    any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

Personnally, I would be enclosing them in a rigid PVC trunking and maybe your friend's electrician will do this when it comes to the 2nd fix. As far as the ETCI regs are concerned, I can't think of anything in the regs which says cables in a hotpress need to be fully enclosed, but it's best practice in my view and I wouldn't accept it otherwise.

As regards securing the flush boxes with screws instead of bonding, I have used both methods and both can be done to the same standard. A good level base is needed when using the screws so this comes doen to whoever is chasing the walls leaving a good flat surface to fix boxes onto.

My preference to use screws, as the bonding can be messy and sometimes if a conduit needs to be moved, for whateveer reason, the box moves off-square or out of position also. I will be wiring my house in the next 2-4weeks and will be using 5x30's woodscrews, 2 No. per flush box and a laser level.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

You can also concrete the boxes in position instead of using bonding.

Advertisement