Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reporting potentially dangerous building work?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭

haven't had much luck with the relevant local authority on this; but then again, they're utterly useless, and have given patently false information before.

where's the best place to go to report/seek advice on building work which is causing a potential danger to a friend's property? it's a development in a housing estate which will share a boundary wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Start witht the building control office of your local authority.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

or the HSA inspector.

Building control only get involved once the job is complete and they check to see if its done to their standing. I dont think they'll get involved in health and safety during construction

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kearnsr wrote:
    or the HSA inspector.

Building control only get involved once the job is complete and they check to see if its done to their standing. I dont think they'll get involved in health and safety during construction
    Its a bit of a grey area between HSA and BC. My understanding is that BC and HSA intervention can be sought regardless of what stage the construction is at. The problem being that the HSA will inspect if there is a danger posed to the on-site workers or the public whereas the BC dept will inspect only to check compliance with the bldg regs. One authority may well try to redirect the problem to the other.

Advice to the OP: Start with the building control dept. You may then ask the HSA to have a look. Failing all that you or your friend will have to go down the private route where you will need an engineer and solicitor.

And before you ask we dont offer legal or structural advice here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

muffler wrote:
    Its a bit of a grey area between HSA and BC. My understanding is that BC and HSA intervention can be sought regardless of what stage the construction is at. The problem being that the HSA will inspect if there is a danger posed to the on-site workers or the public whereas the BC dept will inspect only to check compliance with the bldg regs. One authority may well try to redirect the problem to the other.

Advice to the OP: Start with the building control dept. You may then ask the HSA to have a look. Failing all that you or your friend will have to go down the private route where you will need an engineer and solicitor.

And before you ask we dont offer legal or structural advice here.

Your right in what you say but I think when its undercontruction and there is H&S issues the HSA will deal with it. If it doesnt confirm to building regs the Building Control will sort it. Building Control dont have powers to inforce H&S issues only the HSA does.

Thats my understanding anyways.

Advertisement