Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to get rid of the politics Mega Thread

Options
  • 02-09-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

Well boys and Girls , With the election fast approaching is it time to get rid of the politics Mega Thread and return the forum to normal discussions?

Is it time to get rid of the Politics Mega Thread 30 votes

Yes most definately
    0%
    No, leave things as they are
    100%
    dougalJamboAnnasopraAdMMMBardsTrick of the Tailcurly.bertsouthBaby4johnnykiloDr. Baltarec18THEIRISHMOB[Deleted User]CantGetNoSleeplongshanksLuckycharms_74Marchandirerobtriallthedoyles 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Bards wrote: »
    Well boys and Girls , With the election fast approaching is it time to get rid of the politics Mega Thread and return the forum to normal discussions?

I would've thought one thread on politics is enough for a local forum, and let discussion about politics/elections in Waterford go there.

There's a politics forum for talking about politics generally.

I've got this as one of my followed forums, and I don't follow the politics forum. So I'd just as soon not be bombarded with, or have my feed spammed by, political threads in what's supposed to be a local forum.

I do think there should be more threads for politics. This is the Waterford discussion forum and as long as threads aren't intentionally malicious then discussion should be allowed. I have would find it suspect that a mod is involved with a political party and does that create bias when it comes to moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Things have cooled with the new format,it was horendous and nearly unbalanced the whole Waterford section with the heat generated by the constant negativity . No thanks for a return.

Lads there's only, what, 10 or 15 people who post with any great regularity in the forum, and I'd say it is a subset of that who are firing out this conspiracy about political modding.

Firstly, sad and all as it must be, to be a mod of a relative backwater, how sad would he actually have to be to be politically modding it?!

Secondly, how do other local forums navigate these treacherous waters?!?!

(Thirdly, how sad are the people who are actually exercised over this.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

There are too many stickies in this forum, it just leads to automatically scrolling down part them. It's not like the forum is busy either, losing some stickies could generate more threads.

• Advertisement

I was here on the Waterford forum years ago on my old account that I closed and this forum was so much busier years ago. People like Seany/abouttobebanned kept the place going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

yea need to open the windows lads let the fresh air in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Lads there's only, what, 10 or 15 people who post with any great regularity in the forum, and I'd say it is a subset of that who are firing out this conspiracy about political modding..)

No conspiracy. It was obvious certain people who should know better using the forum to pimp Fine Gael and smooth over the the disgraceful treatment of the city by the government. Cabaal was in the habit of accusing us of "Tin Foil Hat" stuff for suggesting the series of events around the hospitial was driven by political parochialism. Subsequently confirmed by the national media! I suppose they are paranoid conspiracy nuts as well? Practically all the criticisms of Fine Gael, Phil Hogan and Brendan Howlin that have been levelled at them with regard to WIT and WRH have been discuused here before the media got hold of them.
    Firstly, sad and all as it must be, to be a mod of a relative backwater, how sad would he actually have to be to be politically modding it?!

This is the second busiest regional forum. Its almost as busy as the Dublin City Forum.So hardly a backwater.
    Secondly, how do other local forums navigate these treacherous waters?!?!.)

Not by a Megathread.
    (Thirdly, how sad are the people who are actually exercised over this.)

How sad are the people who think its sad?:rolleyes:. How sad are the people who feel the need to stifle debate? It only affected at three or four threads consistently such as the University upgrade. So their was no need for it. Forgive us for giving a ****!

Don't worry Bards! I expect normal service will resume when FG/Labour get kicked out:D It will be OK to criticize the government again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Political discussion on the interwebs is of zero interest to me personally so happy with things the way they are here and I can pass it by painlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

as elections approach a lot of stuff will be wanted to brought up. I think get rid of the thread for the time being and put in a sub forum for just politics to keep all the threads together so multiple threads are not opened up on the same issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No conspiracy. It was obvious certain people who should know better using the forum to pimp Fine Gael and smooth over the the disgraceful treatment of the city by the government. Cabaal was in the habit of accusing us of "Tin Foil Hat" stuff for suggesting the series of events around the hospitial was driven by political parochialism. Subsequently confirmed by the national media! I suppose they are paranoid conspiracy nuts as well? Practically all the criticisms of Fine Gael, Phil Hogan and Brendan Howlin that have been levelled at them with regard to WIT and WRH have been discuused here before the media got hold of them.

This is the second busiest regional forum. Its almost as busy as the Dublin City Forum.So hardly a backwater.

Not by a Megathread.

How sad are the people who think its sad?:rolleyes:. How sad are the people who feel the need to stifle debate? It only affected at three or four threads consistently such as the University upgrade. So their was no need for it. Forgive us for giving a ****!

This is exactly the type of immaturity that resulted in the mega thread. The answer to the question is answered with this idiotic post.

Aside, I'd be in favour of taking down stickies to see it if made a difference posting wise but it's worth noting there probably the most active threads on the forum so I wonder is it them being stickied that results in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Please don't take politics out of the megathread. Before it came along every single thread became a dick measuring contest between those affiliated or fans of the various political parties.

If a bloody dog went missing they'd find a reason to blame each other.

Surely one megathread and the whole dedicated politics forum is enough for anyone.

Sully wrote: »
    This is exactly the type of immaturity that resulted in the mega thread. The answer to the question is answered with this idiotic post.

Ah Sully! The very man! Immaturity is it? Perhaps but some might say it was there so FG supporters like yourself who co-incidentally are also moderators did not have to experience the embarrassment of seeing the governments role in issues like the hospital downgrade and endless other issues being discussed. It was not politics that was being discussed it was FG's role in it that was the problem. It simply isn't possible to discuss a hospital downgrade without also discussing the role of politicians who were the major impetus of said downgrade. Why is this so hard for people to understand? To try and change that is to create a level of censorship that would make North Koreans blush.
    Aside, I'd be in favour of taking down stickies to see it if made a difference posting wise but it's worth noting there probably the most active threads on the forum so I wonder is it them being stickied that results in that?

This obfuscation aside there was only a few threads where politicians were open to criticism for their involvement. The claim that every thread was descending into a political d1ck measuring contest is a bollix. No pun intended. If you look at the list of threads there are only about 10% of them that consistently discussed the role of the government which was completely on topic. Again it begs the question why anyone would fear such discussion? It didn't seem to be a problem when FG were in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I'd also like the word 'definitely' to be spelled correctly.

I'd also like the word 'definitely' to be spelled correctly.

Thank God it's not just me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm pretty sure i speak for quite a lot of people when i say i couldn't give 2 continental fooks about politics. At the end of the day, it's one rich guy trying to get richer by making other rich guys richer. And the odd local issue sorted to keep the voters voting. There is a specific forum for politics, keep it there. There's already too much political talking in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I say keep it where it is as the other threads don't get jammed up as much as they used to. Having it free for all means it also gives an excuse for people to have a pop at Sully which is not really fair as everything get turned into a FG bashing thread when he joins in he is an easy target. I am not defending him as I wouldn't agree with some of what he may post or what he may believe in and I would not go attack him just because of his political affiliation which unfortunately seems to happen alot so having just one thread for all things politics keeps the other threads someway on track. The only thing id like to see on the Waterford forum (and others) is more sensible modding by a certain mod but that is another story that we will never be allowed talk about.........too quick to close is what I say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

obezyana wrote: »
    I say keep it where it is as the other threads don't get jammed up as much as they used to. Having it free for all means it also gives an excuse for people to have a pop at Sully which is not really fair as everything get turned into a FG bashing thread when he joins in he is an easy target. I am not defending him as I wouldn't agree with some of what he may post or what he may believe in and I would not go attack him just because of his political affiliation which unfortunately seems to happen alot so having just one thread for all things politics keeps the other threads someway on track. The only thing id like to see on the Waterford forum (and others) is more sensible modding by a certain mod but that is another story that we will never be allowed talk about.........too quick to close is what I say :D

ah modding in general is pretty poor on boards but then again if that was sorted i wouldnt have people to be arguing with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Annnnnd he's back.:D

• Advertisement

I say keep it where it is as the other threads don't get jammed up as much as they used to. Having it free for all means it also gives an excuse for people to have a pop at Sully which is not really fair as everything get turned into a FG bashing thread when he joins in he is an easy target.

Hmmmmm. I wonder why?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

7upfree wrote: »
    Annnnnd he's back.:D

If you have something constructive to add then by all means post away, otherwise let's have less of this type of nonsense

7upfree wrote: »
    Hmmmmm. I wonder why?:rolleyes:

Because some people just love to piss and moan, and are as biased in their views as the people who tow the FG party line are in theirs...?

Hence I favour the pissing and moaning being restricted to one thread where I don't need to see it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Bards

The main reason for setting up this poll was to point out the unfairness of the Waterford City Forum. originally the mods set up the Mega Thread to calm down Waterford City Forum (which I think has served it's purpose) for a few months, but to think this censorship has gone on for almost the full term of the present Government just proves it was not to settle down the Forum but to Censor disent of The main Government Party - How else can it be defended?

Please people wake up and demand equality for the Waterford City Forum and allow free and open debate on the issues affecting waterford, it used to be a great forum but over the last number of years the life has gone out of it.

VEC gone to Wexford, The breakup of the hospital network, WRH now an outpost of Cork UH, Water Charges and Property Taxes are here, but hardly a debate on this forum. this is not good for democracy. Would the other Regional Forums put up with this form of censorship? So why are we?

The main reason for setting up this poll was to point out the unfairness of the Waterford City Forum. originally the mods set up the Mega Thread to calm down Waterford City Forum (which I think has served it's purpose) for a few months, but to think this censorship has gone on for almost the full term of the present Government just proves it was not to settle down the Forum but to Censor disent of The main Government Party - How else can it be defended?

Please people wake up and demand equality for the Waterford City Forum and allow free and open debate on the issues affecting waterford, it used to be a great forum but over the last number of years the life has gone out of it.

VEC gone to Wexford, The breakup of the hospital network, WRH now an outpost of Cork UH, Water Charges and Property Taxes are here, but hardly a debate on this forum. this is not good for democracy. Would the other Regional Forums put up with this form of censorship? So why are we?

The fact that you think water charges or property tax an issue suitable for a regional forum is exactly why there needs to be a politics megathread...

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah modding in general is pretty poor on boards but then again if that was sorted i wouldnt have people to be arguing with

You cant argue with anyone anyway as some mod will ride in on his bike and shut it down. But back to matter at hand.....keep the politics thread :)

You cant argue with anyone anyway as some mod will ride in on his bike and shut it down. But back to matter at hand.....keep the politics thread :)

do what i do, continue the argument with the mod via pm

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    do what i do, continue the argument with the mod via pm

That I would not bother with as it will get you no where anyway. I don't see how debates/differences of opinion cannot be left in the open.

I don't see how debates/differences of opinion cannot be left in the open.

probably doesnt agree with the charters opinion!

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you have something constructive to add then by all means post away, otherwise let's have less of this type of nonsense

Annnnnd he's back too. Sully calling for reinforcements again? I suppose with an election pending he'll need them!:D

Advertisement