Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM didn't give me money but money is gone from my account

Options
  • 01-09-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I tried to take money out of an ATM in Cork yesterday, after a longer than normal delay the machine returned my card without giving me money, I tried a second time from the same ATM and again I got no money.

I tried another ATM and card got returned saying it was damaged (I have since used it and it is fine). 

I immediately went to the nearest BoI Branch and informed them about what had happened, I was told that the money should reappear in my account within a few days.

However, I went back this morning to the bank (not BoI) where the ATM was located to inform them too.  They said that I should have filled out forms in BoI regarding what happened, I wasn't asked to fill out forms so I'm wondering is this issue being actively pursued by BoI with a view to resolving it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi OnlyWayIsUp, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie. 

When you make a withdrawal at an ATM and the funds are not dispensed but still appear as a debit on your account, this will generally rectify itself once the ATM recalibrates and this normally takes one working day.

If this does not happen, please call Bank of Ireland Direct on 0818 365 365 where a representative can request a retrieval of the withdrawal on your behalf over the phone. 

We hope this helps and if we can assist you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

Elaine,

This happened yesterday at 2pm, the amount involved was quite substantial and I need the money.

It is not my error so I should not be out of pocket as a result.

Thanks.

Hi OnlyWayIsUp, 

Thanks for coming back to us and apologies for any inconvenience.

If you contact our customer support team they will initiate a retrieval from the bank in question as soon as possible. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

48 hours after my money has gone missing from my account nothing has happened.

48 hours after informing BoI that a substantial amount of money has gone missing from my account nothing has happened.

I have no access to the substantial amount of money which has disappeared from my account.

A temporary overdraft has been asked for but not provided as I was told that my local branch could provide a temporary overdraft quicker than could be done over the phone. 

My Branch were meant to ring me yesterday... this has not yet happened.  My Branch were meant to ring me today... this has not yet happened.

No information has been given to me about the money disappearing but it seems to be accepted by BoI that this is an error.

All I know is that a large sum of money has been taken from my account, maybe it's time to contact the Gardai about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

48 hours after my money has gone missing from my account nothing has happened.

48 hours after informing BoI that a substantial amount of money has gone missing from my account nothing has happened.

I have no access to the substantial amount of money which has disappeared from my account.

A temporary overdraft has been asked for but not provided as I was told that my local branch could provide a temporary overdraft quicker than could be done over the phone. 

My Branch were meant to ring me yesterday... this has not yet happened.  My Branch were meant to ring me today... this has not yet happened.

No information has been given to me about the money disappearing but it seems to be accepted by BoI that this is an error.

All I know is that a large sum of money has been taken from my account, maybe it's time to contact the Gardai about it.
    Hi OnlyWayIsUp,

Thanks for your post. 

We're very sorry to hear this and we would like to help you resolve this. If you would like to send a Private Message to us here with your name, contact number and account holding branch we will be happy to request a representative to call you in order to investigate this. 

Please click on the link in my signature below to send us a private message, you will need to have signatures set display in your Boards settings. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement

Hi OnlyWayIsUp,

Thanks for your post.

We're very sorry to hear this and we would like to help you resolve this. If you would like to send a Private Message to us here with your name, contact number and account holding branch we will be happy to request a representative to call you in order to investigate this.

Please click on the link in my signature below to send us a private message, you will need to have signatures set display in your Boards settings.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    But the call to a representative in my Branch went in early on Tuesday afternoon marked 'URGENT' and as of yet nobody has called me.

Meanwhile, I have run out of money, I have NOTHING in my account, €500 has gone missing from it, and BoI won't even provide me with an emergency overdraft to cover their error.

To recap:

Monday afternoon - €500 goes missing from my account after I try and withdraw that amount from ATM.
    I immediately drive to closest BoI Branch to inform them. I'm told money could be back in account within 24 hours.

Tuesday morning - I go back to the bank (not BoI) where the ATM was situated. I'm told they don't own their own ATMs, instead they're operated and owned by another company even though the bank's logo is written all over the ATM.
    Tuesday afternoon - I contact Banking365 to try and resolve situation. I ask for emergency overdraft and get put on hold. BoI employee comes back onto me and informs me that I will get the overdraft quicker if my own Branch applies for it. I inform the agent of the urgency of the situation and that I am close to running out of money. Agent tries to contact Branch but is unable to do so. Agent sends urgent message to my Branch. I am told that I will get a call back from the Branch by close of business... no call is made to me.

Wednesday morning - I contact BoI first thing in the morning and much the same process happens, agent tries to contact Branch, urgent message sent, guarantee I will get a call back in the morning... no call arrives. Wednesday afternoon - I ring again, ask to speak with manager from Banking365. Manager tells me that even though my query was marked urgent and I had run out of money due to banking error there is a turnaround time of at least 24 hours to return calls. Manager says leave it with her and she will contact Branch and someone will call me back to organise solution. I express disbelief at what she's saying as this is the third time I've been told this. Manager states that call is recorded and she guarantees she will ring me back shortly to update me. Manager rings me back, she's been through to my Branch and someone will 100% call me by close of business to offer a solution. Guess what... no call came from my branch and I'm no closer to a solution.

Thursday morning - Almost 72 hours since a banking error has caused €500 to disappear from my account I am no closer to resolving it. I have now run out of money. I am only looking for a temporary overdraft on my account to cover the banking error until this issue is resolved.

I fully accept that mistakes happen, and I have no problem with this mistake, but the lack of solutions and the lies are sickening. The utter contempt that BoI are showing for me and family as we have now run out of money is disgusting. Being ignored in this instance by your Bank is disgusting. I'm not looking for anything unreasonable here just a temporary overdraft until this issue is resolved.

ALl I know at the moment is that €500 is missing from my account, BoI have not given me any info as to why it's gone missing or even if it has really gone missing, time to call in the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi OnlyWayIsUp,

We sincerely apologise that you have not yet received a call back from your branch. 

As Sarah mentioned above, if you could please send us a private message with your full name, phone number and the name of your account holding branch so that we can advise your branch to contact you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Sharon

Update:

I have made contact with my Branch.

BoI have refused me a temporary emergency overdraft to cover the €500 that BoI have taken from my account.

Insane stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

To be honest BoI support is most useless there is,if you need to speak to someone in branch they give you a phone instead to talk to someone on the other end and its usually f all they can do besides saying wait 2 days or so.Because they cant even bother to check your account for errors or say double charges.Had something like that happen online with double charge and they couldn't bother to sort it out,as it wasn't cleared-while clearing process with BoI takes up to 3 days,got lucky when company only realized mistake,and did immediate refund in less than a minute.

Now i have worked in retail store in the past OP and situation like yours would happen quite often-firstly when it takes longer then usual-its usually signs there isnt enough notes,now dont know did you get error or not on the first go,but usually when people try again they get message ouf of service and it means there's isn't enough cash in the atm,thus its out.

Anyway in any instance it would happen the first thing we would advise is to check with the bank or wait 1-2 days,but since atm was AIB most cases any fail in Withdraw would result in automatic cancellation thus no funds would be touched,and never had any customers come back,to claim otherwise.

Update:

I have made contact with my Branch.

BoI have refused me a temporary emergency overdraft to cover the €500 that BoI have taken from my account.

Insane stuff.
    Hi OnlyWayIsUp,

We have sent you a private message. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Advertisement

Hi OnlyWayIsUp,

We have sent you a private message. 

Thanks,

Sharon

Thanks Sharon.

I've decided that a sit-in in Douglas BoI might help resolve the situation.

Hi OnlyWayIsUp,

We have spoken with our colleagues in your branch this evening with details of how this matter can be resolved in your favour. 

We are so sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you, if you need any further help, please send us a private message and we'd be happy to help you. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

That's an absolute disgrace.

I will be taking my business elsewhere too.

OP: You need to actually call Joe Duffy or something similar to create a storm about it. Otherwise, they're probably not going to do anything.

The sit-in in Douglas BoI worked, the issue has been successfully resolved.

For 3 days it was my problem and nothing was done about it.

For one hour and seventeen minutes it was someone else's problem and it was fully resolved.

Apologies to staff within the Branch but I was calm, measured and respectful to them at all times.

Thanks to the one particular staff member who took the problem on and sorted it so quickly, sincere apologies to her.

Thanks Sharon,

I'm glad to hear that my Branch were talking to you. It's a pity they didn't see fit to liaise properly with me, their customer. 

If they did then it would have prevented my sit-in at your Douglas Branch and could have been resolved earlier and without the hassle to me and to your staff. 

Hi OnlyWayIsUp, 

We're delighted to hear that this is now resolved for you and we apologise again that this has taken so long. 

We appreciate your feedback and we will ensure that your comments are forwarded to your branch. 

We hope you enjoy your weekend and if we can assist with anything else here in the future, please don't hesitate to post again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Completely unacceptable from BoI. If they actually cared about you as a customer they would have credited your account immediately over the phone, and sorted it out on their end when they got around to it.

Isn't it funny how quickly things get resolved when staff can't for the problem off to someone else and a specific person is responsible.

Advertisement