Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to the country?

Options
  • 15-10-2017 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    We are thinking of relocating to Wexford/ Wicklow. We are currently renting in Dublin and would live to buy but most houses we like are out of our range. We own two apartments that we bought in 2006/2007 when we were single and they are now is massive negative equity which affects our borrowing power. We are now married with three children aged 3,2 and 1 and think a move to the country would benefit everyone. I have the option of redundancy and my husband doesn't mind commuting to Dublin city centre daily.

My question is- does that commute get worse over time. We are looking at properties close to the N11/M11.
    Also if I am to become a full time mum is there baby groups and places for toddlers to go? My eldest son is due to start school next September so would like to move sooner rather than later.

Have any of you moved? How was it?
    How is the commute from Gorey and South Wixklow? My husbands employer is fairly flexible regarding start time etc so he could tailor his day around traffic etc.

Any advice would be great? Or we absolutely mad? Should we stay in Dublin close to all family and friends?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

We moved from Dublin to North Wicklow a few years ago. We thought we would like a more rural way of living. We are in Greystones at the moment but moving back to Dublin soon. We both work in west Dublin. We both find the commute on m11/m50 a total pain. It takes me over an hour even leaving at 0715. Community quite friendly, my husband loves it. There is quite an active cuidu group and other mummy groups.
    In terms of things for kids, it's a great spot. Lots of clubs etc.
    As for being a SAHM and leaving work, I found it far away from family and friends when I was on maternity leave and missed being within walking distance of shopping centres but that's not for everyone.
    I certainly wouldn't want to live any further south for commuting/ proximity to family, hospitals, cinema etc I feel we are too far out but this has taught me I'm definitely a Dub!
    If you want more details PM me.

Advertisement