Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Service Card

• 03-04-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I received a letter today from my local welfare office instructing me to present myself tomorrow week in order to obtain my card. All this was news to me because I have never claimed any social welfare that I am aware of, other than a bus pass that I didn't request in the first place and have never used (can't even find it!). I tried an Internet search to try to find out what all this was about, but as far as I can see I am obliged by law to present myself for something I am not sure that I want or need, or I might lose my bus pass wherever that is now!

As it happens, there is no way that I could present myself at the time required, so I tried to telephone the local office for clarification. The number endlessly responded as engaged or simply didn't answer.

The letter I received was dated one month ago, so I assume it was a mass circulation exercise that suggests that even if I could attend the appointed office I would find myself in a crowd of half the population of the county, all of them wondering what in God's name they were there for:rolleyes:

I accept that there is a need to combat welfare fraud in this country, and I support that, but could someone enlighten me on why I need a card for something I never applied for and don't need? I ask this question on Boards because I don't doubt that someone out there knows what this is about, since I really don't have the time to spend on it at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My wife got one of these today too and the only social welfare payment she's in receipt of would be the childrens allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

ART6 wrote: »
    I received a letter today from my local welfare office instructing me to present myself tomorrow week in order to obtain my card. All this was news to me because I have never claimed any social welfare that I am aware of, other than a bus pass that I didn't request in the first place and have never used (can't even find it!). I tried an Internet search to try to find out what all this was about, but as far as I can see I am obliged by law to present myself for something I am not sure that I want or need, or I might lose my bus pass wherever that is now!

As it happens, there is no way that I could present myself at the time required, so I tried to telephone the local office for clarification. The number endlessly responded as engaged or simply didn't answer.

The letter I received was dated one month ago, so I assume it was a mass circulation exercise that suggests that even if I could attend the appointed office I would find myself in a crowd of half the population of the county, all of them wondering what in God's name they were there for:rolleyes:

I accept that there is a need to combat welfare fraud in this country, and I support that, but could someone enlighten me on why I need a card for something I never applied for and don't need? I ask this question on Boards because I don't doubt that someone out there knows what this is about, since I really don't have the time to spend on it at the moment.

The bus pass costs the state (taxpayer) money even if you don't use it.

At the very least you should write back and ask them to cancel your bus pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

ART6 wrote: »
    could someone enlighten me on why I need a card for something I never applied for and don't need?

I think the plan is that everyone will receive a PSC in the same way everyone receives a card with their PPS number and name today (I can't remember the name of it though). The card will be a standard way of proving your identity when interacting with the government. Right now, that's limited to people getting money from DSP but in the future it will be used for other things.

God knows why they're enrolling people who don't need it when there are people who do need it and still don't have it,
    Godge wrote: »
    The bus pass costs the state (taxpayer) money even if you don't use it.

Each year DSP pays a fixed amount to CIE, Luas and a small number of other companies in return for accepting free travel passes. The amount paid doesn't seem to have a strong link to the number of passes in circulation - the head of the DSP admitted recently that they don't know how many are out there. Their last figures were from the 1990s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Ridiculous that the Govt is paying for free travel for people.

The amount of scumbags i see evrey day flashing a "pass" on the bus,sitting down the back and drinking cans at 8am is disgusting.

I spend well over 2000 euro per year on bus fares and i find it galling to see the transort network being subisdised so certain people can make drug connections at the state's expense.

They also seem to be immune from normal sanctions...when an inspector gets on,they rant and rave until they're allowed to proceed or forced to wait on the next bus...free gratis....no fines for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

chopper6 wrote: »
    Ridiculous that the Govt is paying for free travel for people.

The amount of scumbags i see evrey day flashing a "pass" on the bus,sitting down the back and drinking cans at 8am is disgusting.

I spend well over 2000 euro per year on bus fares and i find it galling to see the transort network being subisdised so certain people can make drug connections at the state's expense.

They also seem to be immune from normal sanctions...when an inspector gets on,they rant and rave until they're allowed to proceed or forced to wait on the next bus...free gratis....no fines for them!

Agreed.
    Plenty of pensioners on good pensions who could pay for some of their ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its due to the bus pass you're being called - they're being replaced by this card. So you'll have one again, even if its never used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

markpb wrote: »
    I think the plan is that everyone will receive a PSC in the same way everyone receives a card with their PPS number and name today (I can't remember the name of it though). The card will be a standard way of proving your identity when interacting with the government. Right now, that's limited to people getting money from DSP but in the future it will be used for other things.

God knows why they're enrolling people who don't need it when there are people who do need it and still don't have it,

So basically a National Identity Card being introduced through the back door.
    I suppose it makes classifying which phone calls they recorded easier. :)

Advertisement