Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband providers Monastery area

Options
  • 24-05-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Any residents in this area got recommendations / feedback on broadband suppliers? Sky and Virgin have quoted me low speeds (12mbps and 30mbps)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If those are the available line speeds thats all you're going to get on a wired connection from other providers too - Sky use the same wires as everyone bar Virgin. 30mbps Virgin areas are all scheduled for hardware upgrades but its a case of not knowing when.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭unhappyBB

Late reply I know but as I had to go through the same the info might be handy.

I went with Vodafone. It took weeks of hassle but they eventually they got somebody from Eir out to sort out my line and I connected at 100mb.
    Virgin have been doing a lot of work in the area lately and have shutdown their analogue signal. Maybe this was to make room for their proper 360mb+ offering. Id give them a ring

I'm down in the Village and can only get 30mb. It's been that for years and am always fobbed off when i ask when they're going to upgrade the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

They told my partner when he called a few weeks ago they were working on our area in the next few weeks, I'm going to follow up with them now and will update here :)

I PMed Virgin here and was told there were no scheduled upgrades in the area, despite the engineer telling us ontherwise :mad: the engineer wouldn't even install when he was at our house as he said the connection speed was too low. Might have to consider Sky's low speed offering

• Advertisement

It's telling me 90Mb on the Eir Broadband checker for my address. Try them.
    Another useless shower though.

It's telling me 90Mb on the Eir Broadband checker for my address. Try them.
    Another useless shower though.

Just checked...up to 12MB :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I live up in Mount Talbot beside the Ibis hotel. I don't have any sort of broadband at the moment but did have UPC in the past and the speeds were good. I will ask one of the neighbors what speeds they are getting and what provider they are with.

All the best,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    I live up in Mount Talbot beside the Ibis hotel. I don't have any sort of broadband at the moment but did have UPC in the past and the speeds were good. I will ask one of the neighbors what speeds they are getting and what provider they are with.

All the best,
    M

Thanks, actually lived in those apartments until May there and we were pulling in a great speed with eir!

Yea. Person i work with lives there and gets high speed with Virgin there. I've no idea why it isn't the same in the Village as they aren't exactly miles apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you can get Virgin, get Virgin. I've been with them for about 16 years since they first offered fast cable broadband in Lucan in 2003 (which was the second test area for them after Tallaght iirc.) Consistently fast speeds. I've never had any problems with download limits either even though I have broken the accepted usage download limits many, many times.

Yea. But as stated, the speed in our area is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ah apologies, I thought people were referring to Vodafone speeds. I can see now that L1011 explained why some areas are only on 30Mbps with Virgin.

So Virgin couldn't connect us at all, signal was too weak. Sky said they have to ask the council if they can run a cable from the main point to our garden then, if that's ok, we have to run it underground from the garden to the house. Disaster!

What i hate about all of it is the adverts on tv banging on about Gigabit Broadband when it's only available to a limited audience.
    Living in Clondalkin which is a big suburb of our capital city and they can only manage 30MB. Desperate !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That's mental, I live the other side of Clondalkin Village, 500mb VM. Hard to believe rollout is so broken up within a relatively small area with a dense population.

Clondalkin is on SIRO's roadmap though, so may be some light at the end of the tunnel (pun intended :)) soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

That's mental, I live the other side of Clondalkin Village, 500mb VM. Hard to believe rollout is so broken up within a relatively small area with a dense population.

Clondalkin is on SIRO's roadmap though, so may be some light at the end of the tunnel (pun intended :)) soon.

Who are SIRO?

Thanks

The council were out last week digging up the path for the cables. I have to say I was shocked!!

katie275 wrote: »
    The council were out last week digging up the path for the cables. I have to say I was shocked!!

I don't think that was anything to do with Broadband though.
    They are starting work on upgrading access to the LUAS which includes digging up paths and putting in new crossings, etc.

I don't think that was anything to do with Broadband though.
    They are starting work on upgrading access to the LUAS which includes digging up paths and putting in new crossings, etc.

They were definitely doing the broadband cables, Sky had put in a request with SDCC

• Advertisement

They were definitely doing the broadband cables, Sky had put in a request with SDCC

Pity i'm not with Sky then. Their deal was not as good as Virgin's when i signed up. I just hate their broadband speed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pity i'm not with Sky then. Their deal was not as good as Virgin's when i signed up. I just hate their broadband speed.

Get out of jail free with these price increases from VM though. You can cancel within 30 days of price hike notification without penalty

Get out of jail free with these price increases from VM though. You can cancel within 30 days of price hike notification without penalty

Someone notified me of this yesterday. Think it's what i'll be doing.

Bit of an update on this. Virgin working in the village today. Was told 500MB will be available from tomorrow.
    Let's see if that happens. Will update thread.

Bit of an update on this. Virgin working in the village today. Was told 500MB will be available from tomorrow.
    Let's see if that happens. Will update thread.

I saw a virgin and a KN van this morning on my walk to work!

Virgin high speed going in the area next week!

It's down in the Village now. I just need to find the time to ring them and see what type of packages are available to me.

Got the 500MB package today. So far, so good with the speeds.

Advertisement