Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the smell in the city??

Options
  • 22-07-2020 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Believe it’s coming from the old gas works but what is it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Chicken Hutt gravy for the next decade is being cooked up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Believe it’s coming from the old gas works but what is it??
    It's the odour of coal tar residue which is being removed from the site. The site itself dates back to the 1800's when coal was used to produce the gas which powered the street lighting at that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There was a story in the Leader the other day that the EPA have warned Gas Networks Ireland to do something about the odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just don't light a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's the odour of coal tar residue which is being removed from the site. The site itself dates back to the 1800's when coal was used to produce the gas which powered the street lighting at that time.

Thanks- seems like they are a long time removing it- I’d say it’s stinking since Jan or feb.
    It reminds me of Jeyes fluid- it’s rank- smells to me more like a treating agent than something natural If that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Thanks- seems like they are a long time removing it- I’d say it’s stinking since Jan or feb.
    It reminds me of Jeyes fluid- it’s rank- smells to me more like a treating agent than something natural If that makes sense.

They've been at it for 2-3 years. It was due to be finished by August, but Covid has probably delayed it. https://www.gasnetworks.ie/corporate/company/our-network/projects/current-and-planned/limerick-gasworks-remedia/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I thought it was the mist that's spraying out of the stuff around the perimeter of that site. I have no idea though. It definitely honks of Jeyes Fluid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

It was particularly bad driving through town yesterday afternoon .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

As someone who lives near the sore, the smell varies greatly. The jeyea fluid smell is whatever proud mitigation they have attempted to put in place. What is much more common is the smell of tar and toxic fumes.
    I would encourage anyone who has noticed the smell to complain to the EPA about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

jonski wrote: »
    It was particularly bad driving through town yesterday afternoon .

I was stopped in traffic yesterday (right near it at the lights on O'Curry St) and said to herself "you smell that?"(not me) and opened both windows, she couldn't smell a thing but yeah it was pretty pungent.

Can smell me chopping chillis from the other side of the house though. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement