Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

BBM77 wrote: »
    Would love to see the Tower redeveloped. It is a bit of a mess upstairs. With all the buildings around there and the carpark that they own they could nearly double the number of rooms they have. Which would have great economic benefits to the city. I heard that during the summer that it can be impossible to get somewhere to stay in Waterford at times. The more hotel rooms, the more visitors spending money, the more companies will want to open shops etc here, more jobs created. A rising tide lifts all boats as Seán Lemass said.

Crazy for a city that there is only what 6 or 7 places to stay in city centre. This summer seemed busy around so hopefully it keeps getting busier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »
    Hss hire, are they here already?

Don't know Max, have never actually been in there.

debok wrote: »
    Crazy for a city that there is only what 6 or 7 places to stay in city centre. This summer seemed busy around so hopefully it keeps getting busier

It is crazy all right. Sure, it is only since the current city manager / council CEO took office that the council took tourism seriously. Most of the councillors over the years were clueless about how important tourism and retail is to the city. Frankly many did not care about tourism and retail for ideological reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

debok wrote: »

I agree. I would like to see a few boutique guesthouse opening up around the city centre.

Anyways...
    The Waterford man who's carving a 20-metre-long wooden Viking sword

RIGHT NOW, FOUR men at a Waterford workshop are carving a 23-metre long tree into what could become the longest carving in the world.
    John Hayes, a talented carver who dreamt up the design about three years ago, is one of the handful of professional wood carvers from around the country. He and his team of three are now working towards surpassing the Guinness World Record.

It's well worth the read.

original?width=630&version=3560224

original?width=630&version=3560191

http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-viking-sword-3559254-Aug2017/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I know its still in planning stages but taking a look through councils submission to Captial Programme for integrated transport hub and related road upgrades on North Quays is, in my opinion, very positive news for Waterford. Seems like Council are really thinking outside of the box. This would really be a game changer for the city and Southeast. Mock up plans also look really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I know its still in planning stages but taking a look through councils submission to Captial Programme for integrated transport hub and related road upgrades on North Quays is, in my opinion, very positive news for Waterford. Seems like Council are really thinking outside of the box. This would really be a game changer for the city and Southeast. Mock up plans also look really good.

Where is it possible to see that document, sorry, I have looked online but can't find anything. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Where is it possible to see that document, sorry, I have looked online but can't find anything. Thanks.

There's a document in news section of council web site.it's that cost benefit analysis one, presume same as what referred to above.

Indecon report is in News Section and submission for funding - the report I was referring to - is in Press Releases on waterfordcouncil.ie

There's a document in news section of council web site.it's that cost benefit analysis one, presume same as what referred to above.

Thanks very much

Indecon report is in News Section and submission for funding - the report I was referring to - is in Press Releases on waterfordcouncil.ie

Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The new bridge they're building across the river looks cool. Does anyone know will you be allowed to fish off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A very interesting document indeed
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/planning/TransformingWaterfordReport2017.pdf

Great to see pictures of proposed works to Tower Hotel. Big improvement in my opinion

Great to see pictures of proposed works to Tower Hotel. Big improvement in my opinion

Agree, good pics water boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

When do we expect all this to begin and be completed?

914 wrote: »
    When do we expect all this to begin and be completed?

Only went for planning last few weeks so early days.

Anyone know what is opening up in new place on Georges Street... where The Cliff pop up shop was last Christmas???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Anyone know what is opening up in new place on Georges Street... where The Cliff pop up shop was last Christmas???

Would this be it?

https://twitter.com/Deisesupes/status/905791952767070209

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I would say the Green way has a lot to do wth this.

• Advertisement

Cafe nerro opening up in old sport shop by Arundel square, the one in need of doing up across from dunnes/city square.certainly spoilt for choice if you like your coffee in Waterford.good news for the area, some jobs and I'd say when whetherspoons see the improvement in the area, they might get their act together.planning gone in for various small improvements to building, see Munster express.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Cafe nerro opening up in old sport shop by Arundel square, the one in need of doing up across from dunnes/city square.certainly spoilt for choice if you like your coffee in Waterford.good news for the area, some jobs and I'd say when whetherspoons see the improvement in the area, they might get their act together.planning gone in for various small improvements to building, see Munster express.

Beside Portico coffee shop?

https://twitter.com/JohnHalligan/status/919827507645440000

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1016/912615-education/

The new Engineering building is after getting the go-ahead to be built in WIT. Great to see but long overdue. With the North Wharf, Michael St Shopping centre, WIT etc the city is going to be full of tower cranes.

Great news indeed, that on cork road campus I presume.be great if they could get a few mill to buy some of old glass..Anyway good stuff.

Great news indeed, that on cork road campus I presume.be great if they could get a few mill to buy some of old glass..Anyway good stuff.

Yes, out on the Cork Rd. The ground works and site service provision were done years ago. However, when the recession hit and we had no minister to help the funding was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Looks like Metalman brewery are opening their own bar in Murphys on the quay

https://twitter.com/MetalmanBarWat/status/934100372255330304

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Yellowbelly beer are also opening a place so I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

south wrote: »
    Yellowbelly beer are also opening a place so I heard.

odd type of pubs really not like any local pubs and would prob have different customers every night and lots of hipsters but nice to see all these places opening

I'm old fashioned and don't drink craft beers/cider. bulmers does me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I actually like craftbeers, rebel red is a nice one imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I actually like craftbeers, rebel red is a nice one imo.

Rebel red hasn't been a craft beer (in the true sense) for years!

But at least your trying new things, granted some are not to most people's tastes but that's part of the fun of trying that youll find something you like while appreciating the others on the way.

Advertisement