Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - The Poll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Open it, but not as retail, something else entirely (specify if possible)
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I live accross from it, how should I think?
    :)

Think however you like boy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I do listen, I just wanted to make sure you were consistent ;)
    Did I pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I didnt realise a window had been smashed. They cleared most of hte weeds and small rubbish that was around it a few weeks ago, but the railings are still there.

I saw a mock up a few years ago of a 'town center' bigger than Ardkeen centered around Mullinabro, I'd love to see it again. I think it was issued by the people selling one of the housing estates by the golf links.

The projected population rates were rabbit like!

Wmpdd, so much planning permission and rezoning was carrried out through the bubble period, that the population of Ireland would have had to increase by a good few million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Wmpdd, so much planning permission and rezoning was carrried out through the bubble period, that the population of Ireland would have had to increase by a good few million.

The corruption trial of that Dungarven fellow which was only discovered due to fluke circumstances would tell us that we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes to corrupt planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14658

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14657

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14656

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14655

Surely they could have a farmers market there or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

curly.bert wrote: »
    Look at the outside of it, from the main road. The plants and weeds are starting to overgrow. Looks rotten.

Also, I don't like the way it towers over the graveyard and church. Seems completely out of place to me. Horrible building with no future.

No multinational will ever go in there. It was built for retail not office space. There is a difference. Let us all be rid of it.

In all honesty, I go past this building almost every day and apart from the railings (which are there for obvious reasons) the building looks really really well!
    It's much nicer than many building built in the boom for retail or any purpose.
    In fairness, compare it to somewhere like the location of cost plus and buylo...

The did some job on it before the library was opened by Phil Hogan.

I do love it but I think it should have been built 20 mts further back from the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

I do love it but I think it should have been built 20 mts further back from the road.

I don't think it was ever possible to have it any further back .. As it is, it's towering over Ferrybank FC

• Advertisement

Mopre like 2000 metres nearer Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Its on the market for €225k
    http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/20m-shopping-centre-under-hammer-for-225000-29334553.html

Waterford council should buy it and then stick a big Waterford flag on it and annex the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Open it up with a number of high profile retail units.
    Thats a different development close to Abbeygate. Another celtic tiger mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Thats a different development close to Abbeygate. Another celtic tiger mess.

Another planning mess

Its on the market for €225k
    http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/20m-shopping-centre-under-hammer-for-225000-29334553.html

Waterford council should buy it and then stick a big Waterford flag on it and annex the land.
    SOLD for €250k last week
    bought by Evel Knevell I would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Great to see it sold... Hopefully it will be opened up or used for some purpose soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

wellboytoo wrote: »
    SOLD for €250k last week
    bought by Evel Knevell I would imagine

i think this is a different centre, the one nearer abbey park.

gowley wrote: »
    i think this is a different centre, the one nearer abbey park.

This IS the one close to Abbey park that was sold and I was referring to.

Two years since this thread started only change has been public money opening a library, I wonder how much more patience NAMA have with this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Two years since this thread started only change has been public money opening a library, I wonder how much more patience NAMA have with this ?

Usual load of rumours about this place. B & Q, Dunnes(even after paying 20 million not to move in still persist)

The HSE it seems did have a good look at it for a primary care centre but backed off in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

thomasm wrote: »
    Usual load of rumours about this place. B & Q, Dunnes(even after paying 20 million not to move in still persist)

The HSE it seems did have a good look at it for a primary care centre but backed off in the end.

I heard the Dunnes one myself , its probably the same rumour that's doing the rounds apparently coming from Dunnes Employee that the entire project is still in the pipeline. I would not expect anything to come of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

thomasm wrote: »

I was under the impression that the payment was due whether or not they moved in due to their deal with the developer, and the reason they were trying to avoid paying it was because the shopping centre was now controlled by NAMA.

Still, I'll believe they're moving in there when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Read something the other day about Dunnes laying off some staff due to the though trading conditions. So that wouldn't encourage much hope for Ferrybank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

if you were to buy this place how much would it cost ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Gardner wrote: »
    if you were to buy this place how much would it cost ya :)

Ill let it go to ya for 200 boss and thats only coz i knows ya........now give me my money quick iv another stupid project to build :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Whatever the ground is worth. With the boundary extension, the various retail developments in the city centre, the general resurgences of the city centre, its complete financial unsutainability and the possible pedestrian bridge from Ferrybank I think its day are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Featured on Rte Drivetime this evening. 3rd biggest shopping centre in Ireland.
    Ross Abbey centre got a mention also. Available on podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Plans for the expansion of city square on News and Star today according to WLR. If anyone has a picture could they post is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Should never have received planning in the first place. Parochial planning at its worst. However, I would not knock it. I would use it as a conference venue, to benefit the entire region.

Why? What's wrong with it, other than that it's standing empty?

katydid wrote: »
    Why? What's wrong with it, other than that it's standing empty?

It's too big in the wrong place and Dunnes paid €20 million not to go in there, has a footfall of about 10 per hour on a good day other than that not a thing.
    The only thing it doesn't do is bark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i suspect if this place was open as intended, traffic would be a bit of a serious issue at peak times. area seems to be jammed at times.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i suspect if this place was open as intended, traffic would be a bit of a serious issue at peak times. area seems to be jammed at times.

Fair point

It's too big in the wrong place and Diunnes paid €20 million not to go in there, has a footfall of about 10 per hour on a good day other than that not a thing.
    The only thing it doesn't do is bark.
    Of course it has a low footfall...there's nothing there bar a library!:)

Probably the only reason NAMA hadn't made a hard decision on this to date.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dunnes-is-blasted-by-high-court-in-store-case-34234580.html

Very interesting, every trick in the book comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

It looks to me like Dunnes said "If we open in this store we will make no money, lets fight it in the court, it will be cheaper."

Really bad decision to build the place.

Really bad decision to build the place

its up now though so lets do something with it

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

exactly, think of the amount of jobs the place will create.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Don't be silly, if we where positive like that we wouldn't be able to sit around bitch about how KK only built it for the rates and that Waterford CC would never do anything like that.......

robtri wrote: »
    Don't be silly, if we where positive like that we wouldn't be able to sit around bitch about how KK only built it for the rates and that Waterford CC would never do anything like that.......

stupid kilkenny!
    back on track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Well it's a glaring example of a KK county council cluster****.. It only got through the planning process because the county council manipulated the Local Area Plan. If the thing was viable it would be open and all the bitching in the world would not stop it. The fact that its not tells its own story.

Well it's a glaring example of a KK county council cluster****.. It only got through the planning process because the county council manipulated the Local Area Plan. If the thing was viable it would be open and all the bitching in the world would not stop it. The fact that its not tells its own story.

yeah and Waterford city council would never do anything odd, just for rates, say like give a US company permission to bulldoze of a ring fort...or anything like that.... noooooo

they are all as bad as the other...

yeah and Waterford city council would never do anything odd, just for rates, say like give a US company permission to bulldoze of a ring fort...or anything like that.... noooooo

Does your Mammy know you're on the Internet?

Does your Mammy know you're on the Internet?

no but your ma does :)

its not my fault you can't see how both KK and waterford cc are just as bad as each other...

That is frankly an idiotoc statement as the two issues are completely different. Not to mention being totally low. Firstly Waterford City doesn't control policy with regard to national monuments and has numerous other parties involved such as the government and IDA.The suggestion that it is driven by rates is totally ludicrous when you consider how bad the city and region was hit with industrial closures. Secondly the US comany your talking about will be a regional employer that will benefit Ferrybank as much as Waterford. Unlike the Ferrybank SC which is an entity designed to be totally parasitic in nature.

no but your ma does :)

its not my fault you can't see how both KK and waterford cc are just as bad as each other...

Not reallyas their is no empty big box stores in Waterford CC area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The Ferrybank shopping centre is a sad story really. It was a case of one local authority trying to decimate another's retail base in one swoop. There was no economic, planning, environmental or social basis to a regional-scale supermarket development at that location. Simple as that. It should be used as 'Exhibit A' in any debate regarding the need for an urban boundary extension, as it proves absolutely that KK County Council are not fit to administer, govern or plan the environs of Waterford City in a mature or responsible way.

mire wrote: »
    The Ferrybank shopping centre is a sad story really. It was a case of one local authority trying to decimate another's retail base in one swoop. There was no economic, planning, environmental or social basis to a regional-scale supermarket development at that location. Simple as that. It should be used as 'Exhibit A' in any debate regarding the need for an urban boundary extension, as it proves absolutely that KK County Council are not fit to administer, govern or plan the environs of Waterford City in a mature or responsible way.

+10000000000000000

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

I see John Paul Phelan decided to speak up on this today. I wonder is this because of the imminent general election? The shopping centre and himself have one thing in common, they're both a waste of space.

Not reallyas their is no empty big box stores in Waterford CC area.

so the only issue u have then is the shopping centre????
    nothing else cause thats all u can come up with..

What about the Ard Ri a shambles for years before Waterford CC did anything, what about the north Quays, again no action and the latest attempts to remove is a joke, B&Q still empty? the TK maxx disaster ....
    hows the approval for the massive shopping centre in centre going...
    was't that approved??? but just at last min developer recognised it was not a good idea at the time, but it was approved by Wateford CC if it was built it would have been another disaster...

Both area's are just after the money... and i still stand by Waterford cc are just as bad as KK ....

btri;97930100"]so the only issue u have then is the shopping centre????
    nothing else cause thats all u can come up with..

What about the Ard Ri a shambles for years before Waterford CC did anything, what about the north Quays, again no action and the latest attempts to remove is a joke, B&Q still empty? the TK maxx disaster ....
    hows the approval for the massive shopping centre in centre going...
    was't that approved??? but just at last min developer recognised it was not a good idea at the time, but it was approved by Wateford CC if it was built it would have been another disaster...

Both area's are just after the money... and i still stand by Waterford cc are just as bad as KK ....[/quote]

The Ardri site is belonging to Nama WCC forced the issue with a derelict site enforcement and had it clad to stop further vandalism and give some astehic appeal,the north Quays belong to Nama in the most part ditto as above. b and Q and the TK Maxx debacle as you bring it up has huge similarities with the Ferrybank issue as it was also a crass grab at rates by Waterford County Council that gave planning it should never have given! Sound familiar? The solution to this happening again was the merging of the two bodies! How about them apples?
    The brewery centre developer is bust as every other developer and in Nama and could not get finance to build it,as there was a mofo of a recession or did you not hear?
    Waterford city council since the coming of Michael Walsh have been leading the rebirth of Waterford like no one else has,ever,in my lifetime I have never seen such pro activeness from a council anywhere!
    Yes they have made cock ups and mistakes but omellette and eggs, so to close I disagree with you entirely and stop expecting Councils to fix everything around you that is totally outside their remit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement