Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV charging infrastructure to become mandatory for new houses and major renovations

Options
  • 06-12-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

A public consultation has been launched to change building regulations for electrical vehicle recharging infrastructure in new buildings and major renovations and also for storage heaters in buildings.

It's talking about providing charging points for all houses with their own driveway, minimum percentages for shared parking, for shops and businesses. Quite a lot of information in the link below. What to people think?

My own one is that its postive but I'd be wary about too much clutter on narrow streets from the bulkier ones, they can look ugly and restrict pedestrians on paths (i.e. they need to be smaller bollard types , 1 meter for a number of charging points, minimum of 2 charging points etc to take up less space). Norway for example is way ahead of the curve here so there are things to learn.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/energy-performance-buildings/public-consultation-review-building

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    A public consultation has been launched to change building regulations for electrical vehicle recharging infrastructure in new buildings and major renovations and also for storage heaters in buildings.

It's talking about providing charging points for all houses with their own driveway, minimum percentages for shared parking, for shops and businesses. Quite a lot of information in the link below. What to people think?

My own one is that its postive but I'd be wary about too much clutter on narrow streets from the bulkier ones, they can look ugly and restrict pedestrians on paths (i.e. they need to be smaller bollard types , 1 meter for a number of charging points, minimum of 2 charging points etc to take up less space). Norway for example is way ahead of the curve here so there are things to learn.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/energy-performance-buildings/public-consultation-review-building

Good idea ! In relation to the clutter of chargers, it should be use your own cable so there are no trip cables when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Great find - I shall send in a submission.

From my first reading of part L, it seems a bit wishy washy.
    I welcome that they say a charging point needed per parking space, but it's not enough to just say ducting needs to be installed. And not even a drawire at that.
    And also, the tough bit is in relation to the elec infrastructure behind - is there enough power on site? Are there enough spare ways to fit breakers? What is the min power rating needed at each car - 6A?
    This is too easy to ignore for the cost of 12mm ducting.

Edit: there seems to be a link in the documents which points to an EU directive, which references 3.7kW. At least that...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Dardania wrote: »
    Great find - I shall send in a submission.

From my first reading of part L, it seems a bit wishy washy.
    I welcome that they say a charging point needed per parking space, but it's not enough to just say ducting needs to be installed. And not even a drawire at that.
    And also, the tough bit is in relation to the elec infrastructure behind - is there enough power on site? Are there enough spare ways to fit breakers? What is the min power rating needed at each car - 6A?
    This is too easy to ignore for the cost of 12mm ducting.

Edit: there seems to be a link in the documents which points to an EU directive, which references 3.7kW. At least that...

I'd prefer ducting installed instead of builders cheaping out and installing a 16A cable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

woohoo!!! wrote: »

Thats standard in any planning application i've done for the last 2 years.

All houses ducted to allow future upgrade. All external spaces ducted and 10% of spaces will have ev charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

godtabh wrote: »
    Thats standard in any planning application i've done for the last 2 years.

All houses ducted to allow future upgrade. All external spaces ducted and 10% of spaces will have ev charge points.
    Makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Provisions for EV charging is being put into conditions for commercial planning applications now as well. Ducting has to be put down in the entire car park and a minimum 10% of spaces have to be wired for chargers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As above. This is all happening currently on apartment blocks in Dublin that I’m involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

charlieIRL wrote:
    Provisions for EV charging is being put into conditions for commercial planning applications now as well. Ducting has to be put down in the entire car park and a minimum 10% of spaces have to be wired for chargers.
    I think the larger issue is with existing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Three phase supply should be standard also. Would allow 22kw home chargers

To what end? Why do people need to recharge that much range at a time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Dardania wrote:
    To what end? Why do people need to recharge that much range at a time?
    2 (or more) EV households?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you planning on buying a 200kWh Tesla Roadster or something?

You dont need 22kW charging at home.

Single phase is fine for charging two EV's at night unless you are an edge case with two EV's doing massive high mileage everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

KCross wrote: »
    Are you planning on buying a 200kWh Tesla Roadster or something?

You dont need 22kW charging at home.

Single phase is fine for charging two EV's at night unless you are an edge case with two EV's doing massive high mileage everyday.

The edge case you describe could rapidly become the norm.

Future proofing.
    Most houses are 2 car households. By 2030 most cars will be EV. Having more power on tap would be a good thing I would have thought.
    A lot of people commute long distances. The need to charge possibly 2 large batteries over night may not be the exception.

Future proofing.
    Most houses are 2 car households. By 2030 most cars will be EV. Having more power on tap would be a good thing I would have thought.
    A lot of people commute long distances. The need to charge possibly 2 large batteries over night may not be the exception.

Well, two ways of dealing with this problem:

Have a high speed charger, and charge the cars sequentially

Have 2 normal speed chargers, and charge them in parallel

PixelTrawler is going for option 1. I personally think this is a wrong solution - it stresses the batteries out, presents a peak demand on the grid (even if you don't need to charge 2 cars), and most importantly, requires me to walk outside in the middle of the night to move one car to plug in another.

My preferred solution to this valid problem is option 2, for the inverse justifications to the above criticisms. Yeah, it's slower, and requires a 2 bay driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Future proofing.

Relatively few people commute long distances. Most peoples commute and general usage means that most evs will only need to be charged once or twice a week at most.

Future proofing.

Two EV's charging together at night will very much become the norm but two EV's both doing such massive mileage that they'd require 22kW charging for 9hrs each everyday is very unlikely to become the norm.

If it does become the norm it means you have two people commuting daily from Cork-Dublin or Dublin-Galway etc. If thats the future you are expecting we are in for a terrible future! ;)

Just to give you some perspective...
    Charging two EV's at the current norm of 7kW each can be easily enough done in current households on single phase during the 9hr night rate hours.

7kWx9hrs= ~60kWh

60kWh is like a long range Kia eNiro with a range of 400km+

So, you can already charge two long range eNiro's every night.

You could have an edge case, of course, like some rich person with two 100kWh Model X's or an eTron, in which case they'd need 3ph then if they were driving them to empty everyday... but its very much an edge case. Not required for the masses.

TL;DR: Would it be great if we all had 3ph 22kW home charging. Yes. Is it required. No!

Two EV's charging together at night will very much become the norm but two EV's both doing such massive mileage that they'd require 22kW charging for 9hrs each everyday is very unlikely to become the norm.

If it does become the norm it means you have two people commuting daily from Cork-Dublin or Dublin-Galway etc. If thats the future you are expecting we are in for a terrible future! ;)

Just to give you some perspective...
    Charging two EV's at the current norm of 7kW each can be easily enough done in current households on single phase during the 9hr night rate hours.

7kWx9hrs= ~60kWh

60kWh is like a long range Kia eNiro with a range of 400km+

So, you can already charge two long range eNiro's every night.

You could have an edge case, of course, like some rich person with two 100kWh Model X's or an eTron, in which case they'd need 3ph then if they were driving them to empty everyday... but its very much an edge case. Not required for the masses.

TL;DR: Would it be great if we all had 3ph 22kW home charging. Yes. Is it required. No!

Do many cars have onboard chargers able to handle 22kW? Only the Zoe I knew about? Or maybe some of the newer VAG models?

Dardania wrote: »
    Do many cars have onboard chargers able to handle 22kW? Only the Zoe I knew about? Or maybe some of the newer VAG models?

I think the Zoe and Model S/X are the only ones that could do 22kW AC.

However, the next batch of EV's seem to be getting 3ph 11kW capability (probably as an optional extra). Some, like the i3, already have that.

I think the Zoe and Model S/X are the only ones that could do 22kW AC.

However, the next batch of EV's seem to be getting 3ph 11kW capability (probably as an optional extra). Some, like the i3, already have that.

There's merit to having faster charge capability at home for smaller batteried cars (like I have a 80km round trip this evening, after my normal commute home. I'll need to charge up what I can for the hour or two I'll be at home). But 22kW is a massive power draw, which most people won't need

Advertisement