Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota CHR - real fuel consumption

• 28-11-2019 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Looking at replacing a 161 Honda Civic 1.8 petrol auto with a used Toyota CHR Hybrid auto. Most driving is suburban Dublin driving with periodic long trips from Dublin to Cork/Sligo/Belfast. While the Honda is reliable and very comfortable to drive fuel consumption is quite high. We hear of great fuel consumption with the CHR Hybrid but wondering with a 1.8 petrol engine (like the Civic) what "real" fuel consumption we can expect for a) normal suburban driving and b) those long trips. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Neworld17 wrote: »
    Looking at replacing a 161 Honda Civic 1.8 petrol auto with a used Toyota CHR Hybrid auto. Most driving is suburban Dublin driving with periodic long trips from Dublin to Cork/Sligo/Belfast. While the Honda is reliable and very comfortable to drive fuel consumption is quite high. We hear of great fuel consumption with the CHR Hybrid but wondering with a 1.8 petrol engine (like the Civic) what "real" fuel consumption we can expect for a) normal suburban driving and b) those long trips. Thanks for any feedback.

An aunt has one and she hates it as a car. Granted she came from a range rover evoque which is quite a bit nicer but she's done nothing but give out about the Toyota.
    I think I heard her say because the batteries are in the floor the cabin space is absolutely tiny but not sure how true. She's a rather large lump of a woman though, the kind you don't want to be sitting beside on an aeroplane for example. But I'd say it is small to facilitate batteries and the kind of sloped coupe rear. Haven't been in it myself though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have heard they’re a bit cramped alright mainly due to the low roof line. Other than that nothing but good things, I think they’re a very desirable car in the right colour. Coming from a Range Rover to a Toyota is probably going to be a big come down in terms of fit and finish and drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Auto Express were testing the new 2.0 l model this week and said MPG drops to the 40s on motorway driving, but in the 50s in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,730 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think I heard her say because the batteries are in the floor the cabin space is absolutely tiny

Nah, that's not because of the battery. The battery in a Toyota C-HR "self charging" :rolleyes: hybrid is tiny, about 1.3kWh

Most plug in hybrids these days have 10-20kWh and most EVs have 40-100kWh to give you an idea. You could fit a 1.3kWh battery in a very small back pack

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Have a look at the Honest John website. It's shows your model of Honda Civic as 35.8 mpg in real world driving compared with 58.2 for the Toyota. In new money, you should be able to get below 5 l/100km in the CHR.

My sister has one and it's a really nice car for it's price range apart from the back seats being a bit claustrophobic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

I had mother in laws as a loaner for 7 days week before last (getting bodywork done on mine). Had driven frequently before that so familiar with it. I measured my consumption manually (brim to brim) out of curiosity. Small enough tank, so had to top up.I did almost 700 km and my consumption was 6.2 l/km. Car showed 5.9. In same driving I get 5.2 l/km in my 2.0 leon st. Mainly open n road ( n15 against main traffic flow) at 100km. I'd guess it would beat mine though in more urban environments. It was a cold week. I'm familiar with hybrid driving technique, pulse & glide etc, but got bored of that fairly quickly, so drove normally, fairly hard in the mornings! IMHO the 1.8 is too small for the weight of car & battery. It protests loudly under heavy acceleration!They bringing out a 2.0 hybrid which could be worth a look. Decent enough car though, handling grand, driving position good.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

My Fiancee bought one a few months ago

Over 4,000 kms I calculated a fill to fill average of 5.84l/100km. The car always reports a more optimistic figure
    That's with a lot of 130kmh motorway driving.
    I agree that under 5l/100 could be achieved if just suburban driving.
    Its a great car around town that I enjoy driving and the hybrid/CVT combo encourages you to drive more economically.
    The CVT gearbox and the cruise control on the Motorway are revy but it's fine if your not on the motorway every day.
    Its also small enough inside, don't expect it to be as big as it looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Have one, find the fuel economy great - only needs filling up half as much as the previous car. Having said that, the old one was 12 years old so modern petrol engines are likely more frugal. Most driving is urban, which it's very good at, especially stop-start traffic where it can stay in electric mode. I've only used it for a few long journeys but found the petrol dropped quickly enough on those, in contrast to city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Neworld17

p15574 wrote: »
    Have one, find the fuel economy great - only needs filling up half as much as the previous car. Having said that, the old one was 12 years old so modern petrol engines are likely more frugal. Most driving is urban, which it's very good at, especially stop-start traffic where it can stay in electric mode. I've only used it for a few long journeys but found the petrol dropped quickly enough on those, in contrast to city driving.

What do you thing your fuel consumption was on those long journeys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

What do you thing your fuel consumption was on those long journeys?

Sorry, I don't remember! I didn't look at the clock after the journeys to see, unfortunately, I just recall being surprised at how quickly the tank emptied, but maybe that was because it needed filling so infrequently in the city. It'd probably be much better if travelling at 100km/h instead of 120.

• Advertisement

Take a look at a 2016 94 Ah BMW i3 Rex, I think the 120 Ah came out in 2018 and BMW ditched the Rex because they wouldn't pay for re-certifying the Rex with the 120 Ah battery because they were going to discontinue i3 production but they recently announced production will continue for the foreseeable.

At least take a test drive in it, it's a lot of fun and has a very spacious interior, it is a 4 seater but the CHR looks rather cramped and the i3 certainly isn't cramped inside , it's rather spacious. I didn't like it at first but once I took it to some back roads I decided it was going to be my next car.

Best thing about the i3 Rex is the fact it's the only plug in in the world with as much electric range on battery.

The i3 is driven solely by the electric motor and the Rex ( the generator ) only comes on when the battery reaches 6.5% and acts strictly as a generator , there is no mechanical connection to the wheels.

You also have the option to turn the Rex on at 75% charge for a long motorway drive to preserve battery for slower driving and driving in town.

You get the best of both worlds, EV economy , fast charging capability and the Generator when you don't want to stop at public chargers or they are in use or broken and best of all it's going to be much better and much more fun to drive than the CHR and much cheaper to fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads does anyone have or be able to point me in the direction of a full spec list for a 2018 SOL CH-R ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads does anyone have or be able to point me in the direction of a full spec list for a 2018 SOL CH-R ?

https://www.toyota.ie/models/c-hr/index.json
    Open 'Build your C-HR'.pick your grade, (add to compare), view comparison, then download PDF.

Advertisement