Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Face Jacket Washing

Options
  • 25-10-2019 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All

Need to remove a stain from a waterproof North Face jacket, how can I do this without removing the waterproofing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

coffey87 wrote:
    Need to remove a stain from a waterproof North Face jacket, how can I do this without removing the waterproofing?

Use suitable detergent, not standard detergents, no harm in re-proofing it also after washing. Nikwax is the standard brand for such things, but I'm sure there's other brands that are just as good. Follow instructions carefully, or you could do damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Ive used products made by Grangers and found them good. Available in the likes of Great Outdoors, 53N, Cotswold etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It depends on how stubborn the stain is really. Try washing it in something like Nikwax TechWash first. Note this is soap based, not a detergent, so won't remove any of the existing waterproofing or leave behind any residue which will inhibit future waterproofing being effective. If that fails, try rubbing some TechWash into the stained area and leaving for a while before washing again in TechWash. Note also you should follow the instructions carefully and clean out the detergent drawer in the machine first to remove any detergent residue in the machine.

If that fails, you're kind of stuck. You can try and use a normal detergent, but you'll have to wash and rinse several times to try and get rid of any detergent residue with no guarantee you'll be successful, and whatever you do don't use fabric softener or a detergent with built-in fabric softener or you'll definitely be screwed.

Afterwards re proof with Nikwax TX-Direct Wash-In. I find this is more successful if you do it by hand rather than in the washing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You can buy the Nikwax products in foil sachets that just do one garment either by hand or in the washing machine.

I can't find the sachets I use but what you need is all here https://www.amazon.co.uk/NIKWAX-TECH-WASH-TX-DIRECT/dp/B00OTZNO96/ enough to do at least 2 jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,959 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Probably a silly question, but do any detergents ruin the waterproofing of a membrane like goretex? I thought washing those made no difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

unkel wrote: »
    Probably a silly question, but do any detergents ruin the waterproofing of a membrane like goretex? I thought washing those made no difference?

Detergents damage the water repellent surface and leave a residue that prevents it being replaced.

Without its water repellent surface the Gortex membrane is not so effective (imo its fairly crap anyway but what would I know I only used to sell the stuff :D)

Advertisement