Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts before joining?

• 02-10-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi lads,

Not sure if this is the right sub section for this type of posts but hopefully it is

Anyway I'm considering joining the army after realising that college probably isn't for me and I want to find a fulfilling career I can grow into.

Wondering if anyone has any tips on what i should be considering before joining? Things I should know about the life? Is there much room to grow or is it hard to climb and succeed? Overall would you recommend it or tell someone to steer clear?

Thanks in advance for any replies lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭BittysHill1998

Dublingowl wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Not sure if this is the right sub section for this type of posts but hopefully it is

Anyway I'm considering joining the army after realising that college probably isn't for me and I want to find a fulfilling career I can grow into.

Wondering if anyone has any tips on what i should be considering before joining? Things I should know about the life? Is there much room to grow or is it hard to climb and succeed? Overall would you recommend it or tell someone to steer clear?

Thanks in advance for any replies lads

What job are you looking to do in the Army?

Are you looking to join as a recruit (enlisted soldier) or a cadet (officer)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublingowl

What job are you looking to do in the Army?

Are you looking to join as a recruit (enlisted soldier) or a cadet (officer)?

Looking to join as a recruit.

Dublingowl wrote: »
    Looking to join as a recruit.

I’d say go for it if you think you can stick though Army life. So many people are leaving rn because they can’t stick the conditions.

I’ve passed through the recruit and cadet competitions this year but I haven’t received an offer yet for either of them yet.

I’d say if you’re considering it then put in an application now because the process can take a while. I applied in April, did my psychometric test in early May, did my fitness and interview at the very end of May and then I did my medical at the end of June. Got an email in July telling me my application was complete and that I just have to wait for a recruit platoon to start in the Brigade area I applied to. Into October now and still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublingowl

I’d say if you’re considering it then put in an application now because the process can take a while.

Yeah, I put an application in now anyway just incase as I heard you can't be sure how long it'll end up taking.

How long does it take to go from passing the fitness test and interview, to completing all the initial training? I understand its quite a lengthy and draining process.

Initial training (basic and three star) is about 6 months I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dara206

Hi Dublingowl,

What year are you in college? If you're more than 50% through ( 2nd year or above), just stick it out. Had similar thoughts in my final year and was really glad I was talked into sticking out the degree and joining after I finished.

Application process takes a long time so don't drop out/leave until you have a reason to (a start date).

Best of luck Mate.

Advertisement