Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bull and castle or somewhere else for steak

Options
  • 25-05-2019 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Heading up to Dublin tomorrow .Just wondering if there are better places to get steak then bull and castle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fxb Buckley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Shanahans on the green

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bull and Castle is FX Buckleys, I much prefer going to one of their steakhouses than one of there pubs though.
    Couldn't go wrong going to fx's in crowe street, it's in temple bar at the back entrance to the foggy dew https://www.fxbuckley.ie/locations/

You have hungry now for a juicy steak, cajan onion rings with beranise sauce. Mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bull and Castle is FX Buckleys, I much prefer going to one of their steakhouses than one of there pubs though.
    Couldn't go wrong going to fx's in crowe street, it's in temple bar at the back entrance to the foggy dew https://www.fxbuckley.ie/locations/

You have hungry now for a juicy steak, cajan onion rings with beranise sauce. Mmmm

Sorry yeah that was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Darwin's is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bit late now but Featherblade is good! Haven't been yet but Beouf also meant to be very good.

Shanahans on the green

Overpriced, low quality and a serious disappointment. People just rattle off Shanahans like they're part of the Dublin steak old boys, when half the people doing the recommendations have never been near the doorstep. Seriously, the experience I had there was awful.

€200+ for a bad steak, good trimmings / sides and 2 drinks each is an absolute disgrace in this day and age.

FXBs and the Buenos Aires grill are far superior in quality and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Overpriced, low quality and a serious disappointment. People just rattle off Shanahans like they're part of the Dublin steak old boys, when half the people doing the recommendations have never been near the doorstep. Seriously, the experience I had there was awful...

I have never been to Shanahans so can't comment, I would recommend FXBs myself.
    But I think Buenos Aires Grill has been closed for some time now if it was the one on Golden Lane?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Asador or Tomahawk are the best I've come across, been to Butcher Grill and wasn't overly impressed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

odyssey06 wrote: »
    But I think Buenos Aires Grill has been closed for some time now if it was the one on Golden Lane?

Correct, closed a couple years back and reopened as a place called "Feast" which has also closed recently and up for lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Overpriced, low quality and a serious disappointment. People just rattle off Shanahans like they're part of the Dublin steak old boys, when half the people doing the recommendations have never been near the doorstep. Seriously, the experience I had there was awful.

€200+ for a bad steak, good trimmings / sides and 2 drinks each is an absolute disgrace in this day and age.

Have to agree , I dropped €500 there a few years ago for a friends anniversary , I ordered a steak rare and it came out well done ,couldn't send it back as I didn't want to spoil the occasion ,really disappointing .
    Fxb are hard to go past when looking a steak as you like it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Far too late but next time go to Chez Max by Dublin Castle on Palace Street.

Ryan's on Parkgate St is a lovely spot and part of FXB's.

The Washerwoman in Glasnevin is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Brookwood is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Can't definitely say as I've never been but I always get this impression that Shanahans is the type of place that people whose idea of posh food is steak and chips and want to demonstrate that they can afford such places (they'll always pay by wads of cash and not card) and so that they can also name drop the place. I've this image of newly minted Conor McGregor style suited clones going there with their mots.

It doesn't seem like the place serious food enthusiasts would consider. I'm happy to be corrected though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've been to Shanahan's once, it was a double celebration and a special one at that. The food was fantastic but very rich. The staff were amazing, but what left the night down was the verbose buffoon holding court at a large table of people he was trying to impress, right in the middle of the room. It was not a pleasant experience.

I'd agree with another poster who suggested Asador. I'd rate it above FXB and most definitely above Brookwood

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Have been in Darwins a few times, steak always cooked as requested and won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

+1 for Darwins, also Chop House on Bath Avenue . Chez Max is a lovely bistro classic french Steak/frites

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Went to fx Buckleys . The steak was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Went to fx Buckleys . The steak was awesome

Oh, tell us more. Which one?

Not the steak, the restaurant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you like your steak don't forget about https://www.guinnessopengate.com/events/guinness-x-meatopia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

+1 for Darwins.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh, tell us more. Which one?

Not the steak, the restaurant :D

Temple bar one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Darwin's is excellent for steak. I want to go now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Had the Ribeye on the Bone. The Striploin and the Fillet in here in recent weeks . Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Had the Ribeye on the Bone. The Striploin and the Fillet in here in recent weeks . Here is a pick of the Ribeye on the bone. Expensive but Very good

Advertisement