Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stringify Shutting Down......

Options
  • 08-04-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Someone please tell me that the Stringify email i received today about it shutting down is a hoax???

See below

After nearly five years of transforming how people automate their connected lives, I’m sorry to inform you that we are beginning the process of deactivating the Stringify app. This isn’t a decision we made lightly, but as our focus increasingly shifts to developing new connected-home experiences at Comcast, we made a strategic decision to step back from developing the app.

You don’t need to take any action right away. While we will be removing Stringify from app stores today, we will continue to operate and support the service for existing users through the month of June. When we deactivate the app, we will also delete all of your user data.

We know that Stringify plays a big part in our users’ daily lives, and we want to make sure everyone has plenty of time to adjust.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I got the same email. Was just coming here to post it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That's a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

same here, shame alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Damnit, I use it regularly and depend on it as Google home only supports one Logitech harmony remote

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

This is a disaster
    Has anyone used any of the alternatives they have offered?
    I need to get it set up and running seamlessly for someone with limited mobility.
    I am using it for my heating that's not a biggie.
    Both of us are using sonoff switches if it makes a difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

tweek84 wrote: »
    This is a disaster
    Has anyone used any of the alternatives they have offered?
    I need to get it set up and running seamlessly for someone with limited mobility.
    I am using it for my heating that's not a biggie.
    Both of us are using sonoff switches if it makes a difference

Ifttt is not an alternative, I've tried it before and it takes up to a minute to trigger which makes it no use for home automation. I'm just going to get my hands dirty and create home assistant automations for mine

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Damn it, a real pity, was a great service :(

An alternative that I used before Stringify is Yonomi. Works in a similar way, but not quiet as good, I'll have to go back and retry it.

Of course there is also IFTTT and Google Assistants routines.

And if you have a Samsung Smartthings, then webcore is probably an option, as I'd assume Home Assistant would be. Might be time for me to go down the HA route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lads, I can't recommend Home Assistant enough for looking after automations.
    It has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months as the developers are now working full time on it.
    You only need a basic level of computer knowledge to get into it, no real coding needed, most of the devices that are discussed here regularly are easily integrated and there is generally a 3rd party component for those that are not.
    Good tutorials available for most setups, esp if like me you are unfamiliar with Linux command line.
    There is far more scope for building automations the way you want them. I started with some basic time and motion rules for lights, and now that my wife sees them in action she wants more conditions.
    I have Hue, Xiaomi, Nest, Ikea, Smartthings, Honeywell, Aeotec, Ring devices, all on one app/ web page (worth it for that alone) along with other devices like TV's, phones, tablets, computers, printer Plex, all able to communicate with each other (to varying degrees).

paulbok wrote: »
    Lads, I can't recommend Home Assistant enough for looking after automations.
    It has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months as the developers are now working full time on it.
    You only need a basic level of computer knowledge to get into it, no real coding needed, most of the devices that are discussed here regularly are easily integrated and there is generally a 3rd party component for those that are not.
    Good tutorials available for most setups, esp if like me you are unfamiliar with Linux command line.
    There is far more scope for building automations the way you want them. I started with some basic time and motion rules for lights, and now that my wife sees them in action she wants more conditions.
    I have Hue, Xiaomi, Nest, Ikea, Smartthings, Honeywell, Aeotec, Ring devices, all on one app/ web page (worth it for that alone) along with other devices like TV's, phones, tablets, computers, printer Plex, all able to communicate with each other (to varying degrees).

Can home assistant work with Alexa?

I was using IFTTT and Stringify and it was working seamlessly and there was no delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

tweek84 wrote: »
    Can home assistant work with Alexa?

I was using IFTTT and Stringify and it was working seamlessly and there was no delay.

Can be done - https://www.home-assistant.io/components/alexa/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

From what I understand; you need to use a Pi or equivalent to go the Home Assistant route. Does that not mean that it'll either be difficult or complicated and indeed risky to set it up so that you'll be able to access or use it or receive notifications away from home.

Like most; I used Stringify for the simplicity of being able to link and automate various devices; in my case Nest, Hue and TP-Link. I can control devices and receive notifications of events whether home or away.

From what I understand; a home-based hub like SmartHub or SmartThings won't replace a cloud-based platform like Stringify. Am I incorrect in that? I know that a Pi is a lot more than just a basic hub, but will it not be subject to the same limitations?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Did you try Yonomi?

Stoner wrote: »
    Did you try Yonomi?

I didn't try Yonomi. I've been having a look at it, but I'm not sure if it is possible to create your own routines like the Flows in Stringify.

I had a couple of Flows in Stringify where the action of one Flow depended on the state of the other Flow.

If these types of routines can be created then that'll be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Got the email this morning, Nest droplets on IFTT will be disconitnued....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh got the same email....that's disappointing as I have an IFTTT recipe that notifies me if there is activity in the house while I'm away

On August 31, 2019, Nest will be retiring its Works with Nest program. In turn, Nest services on IFTTT will no longer work due to this change.

The services impacted are:

Nest Thermostat
    Nest Protect
    Nest Cam
    Your Nest Applets will remain active until the end of August, when they will then be turned off and removed. We will send another reminder before Nest Applets are turned off permanently.

For more information, please see Nest's FAQ.

At IFTTT, we believe every thing works better together. We look forward to working with Google and others to help consumers benefit from and control their data.

Thank you for your understanding.

The IFTTT Team

So what programs or appa are people using now instead of Stringify?
    Its that time of year where i need to get my heating control working

I'm using Hubitat. It's extremely versatile and because it's a hub and local, it's very fast. If your heating is Nest controlled you will have a problem for some time to come as Google have shut down the option of 'Working with Nest' It's expected that this will become possible again at some time in the future.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with Hubitat, but with that you get the ability to expand your system to quite sophisticated levels.

When I moved, quite a number moved to Tasker then, of course there is IFTTT, albeit not as versatile as Stringify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

davidod1 wrote: »
    From what I understand; you need to use a Pi or equivalent to go the Home Assistant route. Does that not mean that it'll either be difficult or complicated and indeed risky to set it up so that you'll be able to access or use it or receive notifications away from home.

Like most; I used Stringify for the simplicity of being able to link and automate various devices; in my case Nest, Hue and TP-Link. I can control devices and receive notifications of events whether home or away.

From what I understand; a home-based hub like SmartHub or SmartThings won't replace a cloud-based platform like Stringify. Am I incorrect in that? I know that a Pi is a lot more than just a basic hub, but will it not be subject to the same limitations?

A home hub of whatever type is perfectly capable of doing what stringify did for you, albeit probably a bit more complex to setup. The likes of home assistant or openhab (same family) are incredibly powerful, well worth the effort in setting up, and can give you pretty much all the features you would be looking for, full re vote access etc, especially with openhab cloud which gives you remote access to your hub.

Advertisement