Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SEAI EV home charger grant

• 22-05-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I already have an EV home charger, bought and installed last year with all costs paid for by me. I've never availed of any SEAI grant, free ESB installation, or anything else relating to the charger.

I'm now buying another EV and it appears I'm eligible for the new SEAI EV Home Charger Grant, or am I?

I'm planning on replacing my existing 32A Type 2 untethered Rolec charger with a new 32A Type 2 untethered Rolec charger that also has a domestic 3 pin 13 amp socket as I can the charge a 3.3kw Leaf and a Mitsubishi Outlander at the same time (one using a granny cable to the 3 pin socket).

The correct cabling is already in place but I'll need a priority switch installed plus the removal of the old EV charger and fitting of the new one, so I'll be paying an electrician as well as buying a new EV charger.

I've completed the SEAI application form and received approval and the info pack in the post. There's a checklist for the electrician to complete and one of the questions is " Was an EV Charge Point already fitted to this premises before you started work Y/N?". There is, so Y is the answer.

Does this now make me ineligible for the grant or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Just off the phone to the SEAI and they say that the existing EV charge point is irrelevant, if I haven't availed of a previous grant tied to my MPRN number, have off-street parking, and the car is privately registered then I can get a "new" EV charge point and get a max of €600 grant.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yeah....maybe next time make the call first :P

goz83 wrote: »
    Yeah....maybe next time make the call first :P

But then you wouldn't know the answer :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Well. I am getting a Nissan Leaf shortly and am looking at getting a home charge point in. I had one of the companies out this morning. They were tutting at the electric shower in the fuse box and saying it needs a priority box or the fuse will blow when the electric charger and shower are on together and this is X amount with x labour extra.

Is this really necessary and is anyone else finding that the price from website is quoted without this box but as most houses have an electric shower this good news is saved till they are on site that it will be alot more. Seems a little disingenuous.

Same as the usual builders quote and then the "plus VAT" thrown in later.

Can't costs be honestly stated up front in this country.

Ozziej wrote: »
    Well. I am getting a Nissan Leaf shortly and am looking at getting a home charge point in. I had one of the companies out this morning. They were tutting at the electric shower in the fuse box and saying it needs a priority box or the fuse will blow when the electric charger and shower are on together and this is X amount with x labour extra.

Is this really necessary and is anyone else finding that the price from website is quoted without this box but as most houses have an electric shower this good news is saved till they are on site that it will be alot more. Seems a little disingenuous.

I don't have a priority switch installed at the moment, but our current Leaf is 3.3kW so charging while the shower is also running isn't a problem.

Did you tell the installer beforehand that you had an electric shower, or did he ask at all before arriving? Every installation is different and requires varying amounts of work and materials. A fixed price for installation can never be accurate for everyone and I suspect most will work in favour of the installer ;)

Any competent electrician can install the charger, it's not a difficult job. What prices were you being quoted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

quenching wrote: »
    I already have an EV home charger, bought and installed last year with all costs paid for by me. I've never availed of any SEAI grant, free ESB installation, or anything else relating to the charger.

I'm now buying another EV and it appears I'm eligible for the new SEAI EV Home Charger Grant, or am I?

I'm planning on replacing my existing 32A Type 2 untethered Rolec charger with a new 32A Type 2 untethered Rolec charger that also has a domestic 3 pin 13 amp socket as I can the charge a 3.3kw Leaf and a Mitsubishi Outlander at the same time (one using a granny cable to the 3 pin socket).

The correct cabling is already in place but I'll need a priority switch installed plus the removal of the old EV charger and fitting of the new one, so I'll be paying an electrician as well as buying a new EV charger.

I've completed the SEAI application form and received approval and the info pack in the post. There's a checklist for the electrician to complete and one of the questions is " Was an EV Charge Point already fitted to this premises before you started work Y/N?". There is, so Y is the answer.

Does this now make me ineligible for the grant or not?

The car must have been purchased in 2018 as far as I know - so once one of them.was purchased this year then you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Ozziej wrote: »

That was something I read about on here, when I went looking for quotes all of the installers I approached also mentioned this fact and gave me quotes based on the current setup.
    You can also get a charger that comes with a built in priority device (Zappi for example) so you don't have to purchase and install a separate device but they're a bit more expensive than some of the basic models.
    I was given a range of quotes based on different installations and different brands of chargers and I went with the one that worked best for us. I paid about €300 on top of the grant and I'm very happy with what I got.
    I can give you the name of the company we used if you want it's not against the rules...?
    The guy talked us through everything and was in and out in about three hours...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,
    are some folks being asked to get a second earth rod installed near the charge point ?
    why would that be ?. would the house hold earth rod not be sufficient ?

K

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,
    are some folks being asked to get a second earth rod installed near the charge point ?
    why would that be ?. would the house hold earth rod not be sufficient ?

K

Never mentioned to me, or heard it mentioned anywhere else. But I'm not an electrician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

quenching wrote: »
    Never mentioned to me, or heard it mentioned anywhere else. But I'm not an electrician.

I am not an electrician but I would be nervous about having a second earth rod. There could be a potential difference between the two grounding rods and this would not be good (although it wouldn’t pose an immediate risk, more an issue with sensitivity of testing equipment and safety devices like the RCD). Still, maybe there could be a good reason for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Marcoskilkenny

That was something I read about on here, when I went looking for quotes all of the installers I approached also mentioned this fact and gave me quotes based on the current setup.
    You can also get a charger that comes with a built in priority device (Zappi for example) so you don't have to purchase and install a separate device but they're a bit more expensive than some of the basic models.
    I was given a range of quotes based on different installations and different brands of chargers and I went with the one that worked best for us. I paid about €300 on top of the grant and I'm very happy with what I got.
    I can give you the name of the company we used if you want it's not against the rules...?
    The guy talked us through everything and was in and out in about three hours...

Hi there, just wondering if you have that company name please

Advertisement