Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super League Grand Final 2015

Options
  • 19-01-2015 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Not long to wait now for the new season of the "Summer game" with its catchy sponsors to start. Whole new league structure this year, which will hopefully be great*, and I really like the look of it, and love that promotion and relegation is back in a big way.

Here's a video explaining the new format:

First round game of the First Utility Super League kicks off on 5th February!

Shamelessly I've included the Championship in this thread as the team I follow, the Broncos were dire last season and deservedly got relegated so I'll be looking out for them to hopefully be fighting it out with Bradford near the top of Championship and to do well in the later stages of the carve up.

Championships starts back in the balmy heat of 13th February.

*It might also be a sh*te convoluted mess but hopefully not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Only a couple of days until the start of the season. Exciting stuff and the first full weekend of fixtures won't be totally forgotten about by the press since its also the Six Nations starting weekend in the other form of Rugby, which I believe is quite popular.

Might be a bit of sarcasm in last line there.

Good interview from the man who thought up the new format.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/01/super-league-revolutionary-look-blake-solly

All kicks off tomorrow.

Vikings v Warriors (or Widnes v Wigan if you prefer) on Sky tonight if anyone wants to watch some decent sport.

I'm working so twitter updates will have to do.

Surprise early win for Widnes my hopeful prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

22 apiece, hope we can improve on tonight's effort, too many off season pies methinks..........let the foot off the gas at around the 1 hour mark.

If I am being honest, we were ****e and couldn't win even with Mr.Useless Bastard Childs making it technically 14 against 12

Faing wrote: »
    22 apiece, hope we can improve on tonight's effort, too many off season pies methinks..........let the foot off the gas at around the 1 hour mark.

If I am being honest, we were ****e and couldn't win even with Mr.Useless Bastard Childs making it technically 14 against 12

Caught up with the game "as live"

Surprised they threw the 12 point. Good game though, absolutely shocking ref performance.

Early season is normally good for a few unusual results. That used to be when the also rans picked up their points, (not that I'm saying Widnes will be also rans). That and near the END of season when players from other teams were getting rested. Wont be the same with the new league set up now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Think that once again there will be some bizarre games/results in the first few weeks....last nights game was bizarre I thought.

Saints v Catalan tonight could be anything ie Dragons edge a narrow match or Saints run riot!!!

The proper rugby on tonight. Would have fancied Catalan at home, but still so iffy away from home so think Saints will probably win fairly comfortably.

Didn't see last night's game, Big Hero 6 instead! Sounds like Catalan made a game of it anyway. Hopefully there won't be too many drubbings and one sided games this year (well Broncos aren't there so that helps in that regard!)

Hull beating Huddersfield today was a bit of a turn up, as was Wakefield turning over Castleford. Leeds won, but looks like they made hard work of it against Hull KR.

Next in my occassional series of posts talking to myself:

Tonights game is Salford against St Helens, Saints won their first game while the Reds lost.

Fancy Saints by a couple of scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Sure is a wee bit quiet still. Saints by 17points is my guess.

Well Salford have made a sh*te start to the season. Woeful by the sound of it.

Watched the game last night and as a Salford follower disappointed to say the least, few injuries also.

Saints looked good though even if Reds defence was shocking

Leigh v Bradford will be some opening match in the Championship

Should be a good game, think Bradford will have enough to win it.

Well as usual, if proof were needed (its not) that I don't know my arse from my elbow, Leigh beat Bradford by 12 points.

Most important result of the week though, the Broncos registering their first win of the season, after the first game. Refreshing change. Just shy of a thousand there which is miserable enough but don't think that's much of a drop in home support, lack of away support is the main thing missing.

Hope that the supporters of the Broncos do travel this year....can't see it though??

Saw the highlights albeit brief on Leigh v Bradford....looked tasty

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Hope that the supporters of the Broncos do travel this year....can't see it though??

Saw the highlights albeit brief on Leigh v Bradford....looked tasty

Broncos have rarely taken more than coach load, won't change now. It will be interesting to see how this end of year carve up of Championship and super league actually works for promotion and relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oakey3132

Broncos running a coach to Leigh this weekend which is a rare occurrence over the past few seasons. Desperate result away to Sheffield hopefully a blip.

If London have a good season the away support will pick up. It will have been soul destroying over the last few years travelling hundreds of miles to see a good hiding.

The new 'Every Game Matters' system will help keep interest alive and crowds up as a result.

oakey3132 wrote: »
    Broncos running a coach to Leigh this weekend which is a rare occurrence over the past few seasons. Desperate result away to Sheffield hopefully a blip.

If London have a good season the away support will pick up. It will have been soul destroying over the last few years travelling hundreds of miles to see a good hiding.

The new 'Every Game Matters' system will help keep interest alive and crowds up as a result.

Hopefully they'll challenge this year at least otherwise I think they're doomed.

Salford registered their first win of the season yesterday, good win against Hull, Catalans hammered Warrington.

Todays Super League games

Hull KR v Wigan Warriors
    Widnes Vikings v Wakefield Wildcats

In Championship

Big test for Broncos today away to Leigh, I fear the worst. :(

• Advertisement

Catalan v Salford 40 - 40. Don't get many scores like that!

In the Championship Leigh and Bradford and Sheffield Eagles the early pace setters, Broncos look as poor in this division as the Super League, won 2 lost 3 so far, still, early days. They are coachless too, was some rumour about Brian Noble going there, but think thats fizzled out

Salford have moved on from their slow start to the season, won again last night against Widnes.

Warrington scraped a win against Wakefield then, only managed 80 unanswered points. Feel for Wakefield, have taken over from the Broncos as whipping boys

Fantastic win for the London Broncos today, ended Leigh's long unbeaten run. Had a massive lead but had serious wobble and nearly threw it. Still, a massive win.

2 good wins on the bounce for the Broncos, came from behind to win at Batley Bulldogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Ginzo

Looking forward to the SUper 8's. Reckon we could see the Bulls back in the big time

Ginzo wrote: »
    Looking forward to the SUper 8's. Reckon we could see the Bulls back in the big time

In with a very good shout. Leigh and Bradford looked the standout teams in Championship this year, both scoring significantly heavier than anyone else in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Liking the Super 8's so far.

I know they're missing some bodies but Warrington look a shambles since the Challenge Cup semi defeat.

Leeds Wigan should be epic tomorrow.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Liking the Super 8's so far.

I know they're missing some bodies but Warrington look a shambles since the Challenge Cup semi defeat.

Leeds Wigan should be epic tomorrow.

Fancy the pie eaters might spring a (minor) surprise and beat Leeds, hopefully it'll be a cracker.

Edit: Nope, Leeds win.

Advertisement