Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NRL 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Following on from the dogs tearing up Fafita's contract (which Fafita now claims was not by mutual consent) they've been linked with a huge spending spree. Names such as Josh Hoffman (again), James Tedesco (Tigers - FB), Josh Mansour (Penrith - CTW/FB), and interestingly following stories coming out of OZ, the Stewart brother from Manly, Glenn (Loose) and Brett (FB) could be targeted as a package deal have all been listed as potential targets! Don't be surprised to see 2/3 of these names in Blue & White next season!

Steve Matai has been reported saying that if Glenn Stewart is allowed to leave (which it seems like he doesn't want to do!) it could be the beginning of a Mass Exodus at the Sea Eagles. Worrying times for Manly i think

After the Fafita shennanigans everyone is linked to the dogs... the papers are loving it . Realistically I would say two new players max Dont forget they have already signed lichaa from the sharks, would love tedesco but the tigpies will do everything they possibly can to keep him and brooks together. they dont need Glenn stewart and brett is a little injury prone , hiku would be a better option from Manly. anyway Come on you doggies!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

After the Fafita shennanigans everyone is linked to the dogs... the papers are loving it . Realistically I would say two new players max Dont forget they have already signed lichaa from the sharks, would love tedesco but the tigpies will do everything they possibly can to keep him and brooks together. they dont need Glenn stewart and brett is a little injury prone , hiku would be a better option from Manly. anyway Come on you doggies!

They seem very intent on a new forward tho......and a big name at that. Lichaa seems a very clever purchase! Along with tying down Mbye for the future.

They seem very intent on a new forward tho......and a big name at that. Lichaa seems a very clever purchase! Along with tying down Mbye for the future.

Im dying to see this kid Mbye play by all reports he is something else, and will be the doggies "x factor". along with templeman klemmer and lloyd perrett and lichaa the future looks positive but they really need a fullback ,sammy perrett has done well but is not a fb. Dont forget inu kasiano and eastwood still have to return for the dogs. Fingers crossed top 8.

this weeks draw, my tips last week a pathetic 3 from 8... lets go again
    Roosters v Dogs--- sadly I have to say the chooks this week fingers cross i am wrong
    Broncos v Eels --- this is going to be a very interesting one with both teams playing much better footy than was expected of them broncos for me
    Sharks v Warriors --- Warriors , sharks are muck
    Panthers v Raiders --- another very interesting game im going the penny panthers here
    Dragons v Rabbits --- bunnies they have to start firing at some stage
    Storm v Titans --- storm too strong
    Tigers v Manly --- Manly
    Cowboys v Knights --- Cowboys

my tips for the week how about you guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I only made one prediction last round, and couldn't have got it any more wrong. So will continue to make one prediction. I also fancy the Warriors. Stand by for heavy surprise defeat.

Rooster (who are dow currently 8-0) to win, Eels to pip Broncos in a thriller, Warriors to continue onwards and upwards, Penrith to beat Anthony Midford and 12 other blokes, Dragons at home to sneak a win (hope not but i think they will), Storm to return to form with Cam Smith back, Tigers to run Manly close but not close enough, JT to light it up and inspire Cowboys to a win

Reynold FG wins it for Doggies, que hysteric celebrations from Kirk Buttercup, Finished 9-8.

Eels leading 10-6 at HT, 3 great moments already, lovely hands and great line from Chrissy Sandow for Hopoate to finish in the corner. Next was another attack from deep, great hands from 3 or 4 lads including Semi Radradra who follows up the inside and gets it 7 out finishes off shrugging off Ben Barba to score.

Enter Justin Hodges for his return, and what a return, shrugs off two tacklers, commits another 2 and gives a miracle ball to Dale Copley to scoot into the corner, super stuff being played.

What a game between Brisbane and Parra!! CRACKER!! Eels 7 up with 5 left, Hayne Train is back, Sandow with 40m field goal. Is unbelievable footie

Reynold FG wins it for Doggies, que hysteric celebrations from Kirk Buttercup, Finished 9-8.

Eels leading 10-6 at HT, 3 great moments already, lovely hands and great line from Chrissy Sandow for Hopoate to finish in the corner. Next was another attack from deep, great hands from 3 or 4 lads including Semi Radradra who follows up the inside and gets it 7 out finishes off shrugging off Ben Barba to score.

Enter Justin Hodges for his return, and what a return, shrugs off two tacklers, commits another 2 and gives a miracle ball to Dale Copley to scoot into the corner, super stuff being played.

You're on the Money there! Cant wait to get home tonight and watch it. ( cant believe I tipped against them ... that'll teach me )

• Advertisement

Well the Shark really opened up the Warriors, 37-6 or something like that. How are the Warriors so inconsistent.........and bad? It baffles the mind!

Well the Shark really opened up the Warriors, 37-6 or something like that. How are the Warriors so inconsistent.........and bad? It baffles the mind!

Well my predictions for the Warriors are consistantly brutal. Dreadful from NZ again, so bad away from home.

Well my predictions for the Warriors are consistantly brutal. Dreadful from NZ again, so bad away from home.

Have no idea they actually have a great team. If penrith can close this out im 1 from 4 on tips ... im on fire!

Dragons getting killed by penalties against South Sydney.

Can see why it wasn't given but they'd have given that try for the Dragons in Super League.

Can't wait to see how effective the Panthers are in a dry day down there left with Idris and Mansour looking extremely dangerous and both defensively were making excellent decisions. Mansour could have had 4 today if the ball was dry, his hands let him down for a intercept and two offloads from Idris. MAnsour is an abolute beast, breaks tackles for fun and works hard to get involved on the ball. He'll be key to Penrith being successful i feel.

Souths looking in control but still not firing on half there guns!

• Advertisement

Well thats the last time i don't pick Inglis in my fantasy team................fecker has had two moments, broke the line, fended dugan to score. Straight off the kick off, he must've broke 6 tackles including one from Ben Creagh (A solid defender) and offloads but unfortunately passing let them down for what would've been a sensational score!

What the hell is going on!
    Roosters Manly and Storm all beaten in one weekend that prob. Wont happen again this year. Very open comp this year ,great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

A pretty poor performance by the Roosters against the Dogs I thought. Not sure what the story with SBW was because he seemed more of a liability with his offloading at times. Really put his team under pressure at times.

old gregg wrote: »
    A pretty poor performance by the Roosters against the Dogs I thought. Not sure what the story with SBW was because he seemed more of a liability with his offloading at times. Really put his team under pressure at times.

Poor weather really hampered a lot of the games played last weekend. Slippery ball, but would agree, Sonny-Bill looked like he was trying too hard at times, looking to make something happen from nothing with every touch. Titans with a controversial win over the Storm with a late Greg Bird pen, who couldn't help stoker the fire on Instagram either with Cooper Cronk, was very entertaining stuff!! There are highlight packages on youtube for those who haven't seen all the games this weekend. These two channels below do highlight packages for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/user/FootyTubeNRL

https://www.youtube.com/user/RCReviews95

Round 6.

Panthers handily beaten by South Sydney after a very tight 1st half. Other game already played the Broncos were beaten by the Titans.

Rest of the draw

Saturday:
    Raiders v Knights
    Eels v Roosters
    Wests Tigers v Cowboys

Sunday:
    Sea Eagles v Sharks
    Warriors v Bulldogs

Monday:
    Storm v Dragons

Going to actually predict more than one result since I have had so much success up to now:rolleyes:. Raiders, Roosters, Tigers, Warriors, Sea Eagles and Dragons to win.

• Advertisement

Penny vs Bunnies was a poor game in truth, the weather again hampered what could have been a very entertaining game, really slowed the play of the ball down. Penrith spent nearly 80% of 1st half inside the Bunnies 20 but couldn't break through. Their defence was good but times the Panthers created the over lap and with Josh Mansour 1on1 with a much small, defensively frail Nathan Merret would have scored on a couple of occasions. Idris tucked the ball instead and was shut down by 3/4 defenders. Bunnies defence was excellent through out. Sam Burgess was a colossus for Souths again. He also was struck with a stick by a female fan as he left the pitch.......

Ben Barba was caught and stripped in his in goal by Aidan Sezer to steal it (sorry couldn't help myself) for the Titans! Huge win

Sorry was away last weekend lads and missed pretty much all the NRL action.

This week
    Fri 18 Apr Rabbitohs Bulldogs ANZ Stadium = obviously doggies for me
    Fri 18 Apr Knights Broncos Hunter Stadium = close one to call I will go broncos
    Fri 18 Apr Sea Eagles Cowboys Brookvale Oval = Manly for me , cowboys havent they been dissapointing
    Sat 19 Apr Dragons Warriors WIN Jubilee Oval = another close one but will stick my neck out and go warriors
    Sat 19 Apr Sharks Roosters Remondis Stadium = Roosters all the way 2 and 6 against a really **** team
    Sun 20 Apr Raiders Storm GIO Stadium = Storm
    Mon 21 Apr Eels Wests Tigers ANZ Stadium + game of the round , looking forward to this eels to shade it but Could go anyway really
    Mon 21 Apr Panthers Titans Centrebet Stadium = Panthers for me , although credit where its due titans have done really well so far

If I get half these right I would be surprised, looks like a great weekend of footy

................ Bunnies defence was excellent through out. Sam Burgess was a colossus for Souths again. He also was struck with a stick by a female fan as he left the pitch.......

Got an apology for that today apparently, all over with now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/27046305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Julie Burgess said she would "Love to meet the woman that hit her son with a stick" haha, as an ex league player herself (For Featherstone) she packs a mighty punch. I am personally disappointed on his move to union, although the money is, understandably, a great persuader. He will be the main target for every wannabe Burgess Buster that the union can throw at him. Hope he does a Sonny Bill and returns to league one day.

Warriors manage to continue to be magnificently hit and miss (though a lot more miss than hit), particularly away from home. New coach since they sacked Elliot has not made a difference yet anyway. Second bottom of the ladder at the minute.

Big news out of Manly, as Glenn Stewart agrees a 2yr deal with South Sydney. Manly released a statement saying they are 'devastated' by the news..........but yet they still wouldn't secure his signature.

Other news, Benji is looking to make a comeback with a request for immediate release from the Auckland blues. The Tigers have immediately distanced themselves from their former superstar. Their aren't many sides out there that really require his services. I'd be thinking along the line of the Eels maybe, or the Broncos. Sandow and Hoffman just don't really so it for me.

Tigers Eels was an absolute belter at the weekend! Jarrad Hayne looks unstoppable of late! Their so threatening off wither side with Hayne floating between both, Hopoate, Sio, Semi RadRadra and Willie Tonga all playing well

Further reports from Oz that Benji Marshall had contacted close friend Beau Ryan about the possibility of joining Cronulla. And now it appears that they have offered him a 3 year contract. Cronulla hoping for an answer by Friday and should Marshall sign he would be available after the bye week.

Micheal Ennis also on the Sharks radar

Further reports from Oz that Benji Marshall had contacted close friend Beau Ryan about the possibility of joining Cronulla. And now it appears that they have offered him a 3 year contract. Cronulla hoping for an answer by Friday and should Marshall sign he would be available after the bye week.

Micheal Ennis also on the Sharks radar

The Micheal Ennis rumour is only because Lichaa is going the other way and they both play the same position. I reckon des hasler will want to keep ennis until Lichaa has more first grade experience cant see the dogs using him as a starter straight away

The Micheal Ennis rumour is only because Lichaa is going the other way and they both play the same position. I reckon des hasler will want to keep ennis until Lichaa has more first grade experience cant see the dogs using him as a starter straight away

Ya there was a mention in that article that Lichaa would only be behind Ennis for a season, his contract expires next season?

Yep Ennis contract expires end of next year where I reckon it will be more likely he will go to the knights or sign another smaller contract with the dogs as a bit part player.

• Advertisement

its been quiet on here for a while - doggies are still top. Origin teams announced unfortunatly I think QLD look stronger....Again.what do you guys reckon? state of origin 1 just around the corner.

its been quiet on here for a while - doggies are still top. Origin teams announced unfortunatly I think QLD look stronger....Again.what do you guys reckon? state of origin 1 just around the corner.

Have started thread on it, fancy Maroons AGAIN. For good of the series a NSW win would probably be helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057213790

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

GC Titans v NZ Warriors starting in couple minutes on Premier/Setanta

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

What a game that was, first half was stunning end-to-end stuff. Backed Titans (13/5), and +10.5 (10/11), so one winning bet, one losing so far. Tigers v Broncos next, I'll never get around to doing the Scoop 6 at this rate! The NRL is the only reason I've not got rid of Setanta, it's worthless for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

What a game that was, first half was stunning end-to-end stuff. Backed Titans (13/5), and +10.5 (10/11), so one winning bet, one losing so far. Tigers v Broncos next, I'll never get around to doing the Scoop 6 at this rate! The NRL is the only reason I've not got rid of Setanta, it's worthless for anything else.

Great game they tired a lot the 2nd half titans though unfortunately

Yesterdays Origin has been a nightmare for club coaches. Injuries everywhere:

Storm - Cam Smith: low ankle sprain - 1/2wks, Billy Slater: Grade 2 A/C sprain - 2/3 weeks, Cooper Cronk: broken right arm & dislocated elbow - 12 weeks

Manly - DCE: knee, in a lot of doubt, Anthony Watmough: Torn bicep, few weeks (both declared desire to play but are to be assessed by cluub medics)

Dragons - Brett Morris, dislocated shoulder, having scans to assess damage, highly unlikely to play this weekend, Trent Merrin: very banged up, being assessed by medics but he's tough and could play

Eels: Jarrad Hayne: Fatigue, possibly rested by recuperate after Origin to avoid muscular injuries

The bye sides were hit too

Bulldogs - Josh Morris: torn PCL (Posterior Cruciate Ligament), no time frame set as of yet, Trent Hodkinson: nose, will be fit for next game

Sharks - Paul Gallen: Neck, aggravated existing injury, scans underway, no time frame

All other Origin stars came through with minor bumps and bruises

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eyebrows18

That's a serious injury list for the Storm, they could lose the next 2 or 3 without them and playing the Roosters on the 8th, can't see them winning that without those 3.

WOW. Brett Morris is out for two months with a Broken Shoulder!! How did he play through the majority of the game?? That incredible!! Brother Josh out for 6-8 wks with torn PCL. Nate Myles (fractured hand), Gallen (damaged neck) both out for at least 2wks.

Jarrad Hayne rested today for Parra-Penny clash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Happy to see the chooks back at the sharp end of the ladder :)

• Advertisement

Huge loss for the Eels, Nathan Peats, arguably their 2nd most important player this year, has ruptured his ACL and miss the remainder of the season....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

The Rabitohs are really finding a bit of form now. Sam Burgess must be in the top 10 players in that league at the minute. He was immense again today

skippymac6 wrote: »
    The Rabitohs are really finding a bit of form now. Sam Burgess must be in the top 10 players in that league at the minute. He was immense again today

He's a fantastic player, such a shame he is going to union next season.

Jarrad Hayne is leading the Dally M standings, think Burgess is next (not 100% but is close). The guys a phenomenal athlete. 115Kgs, unreal hands, quick on his feet and this year his discipline has been sensational. Bath have a real quality lad to add to their backrow!

Jarrad Hayne is leading the Dally M standings, think Burgess is next (not 100% but is close). The guys a phenomenal athlete. 115Kgs, unreal hands, quick on his feet and this year his discipline has been sensational. Bath have a real quality lad to add to their backrow!

He's unreal and his brother George is going to be a superstar as well.

Will bath play him in the backrow? I thought he was going to be tried out at first centre a la Sonny Bill??

He's unreal and his brother George is going to be a superstar as well.

Will bath play him in the backrow? I thought he was going to be tried out at first centre a la Sonny Bill??

Mike Ford came out saying he;'ll be in the backrow, since the RFU refused to pay any of his wages and compensation they have no say on where he's put. Ford wants a brute in the BR with Eastmond 12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

My second ever NRL experience:

Smashing NRL footy action today as the Penrith Panthers tore the Wests Tigers apart by 26 points to 10 at the ridiculously inaccessible but gloriously atmospheric Leichardt Oval. This battle of the big cats saw the team from the western part of western Sydney triumph over Wests, who are from the eastern part of western Sydney, which is actually really in the eastern part of the city if you look at the map. The "western" part goes reeeaallly far west.

After spending the morning watching Junior F standard hurling way out in the sticks in the godforsaken kip that is Ingleburn, I left too little time to get back into town for the 3pm kick-off. Sydney's public transport system is deceptive. It's all shiny and new on the outside, but the reality is its trains and buses are slow and ponderous. Anyway, why break the habit of a lifetime and be early for something when you can be late, or use public transport's failings as an excuse? After walking around Town Hall Square and George Street like a headless chicken for 20 minutes vainly searching for a bus stop and a bus route that seemingly didn't exist (even though listed on the official city transport website and map), I got a bus down the Parramatta Road and hopped out about two miles from the ground - the nearest point I could get within via bus. As it was by now half-time, I hailed a taxi. But I made a huge mistake in not crossing the road first - there is no right turn on Parramatta Road and the Indian guy driving it went a good mile beyond the junction where I wanted to turn off before going left and doing a u-turn to go straight across to the other side. After me instructing him where to go through a load of backstreets (the Google Maps usage killed my flagging phone battery) - he hadn't a clue where the stadium was and appeared to have never heard of it, he eventually got me there with the second half already on. I went up to the gate and asked if there was any chance of getting in. "Sorry mate, it's sold out" was the reply. "Feck", says I with a resigned and exasperated look on my face, as this was one stadium I really wanted to visit - it's the most played on ground in NRL/NSWRL history, and there isn't another match there for a couple of months, by which time I'll be well away and back in Ireland.

I decided to have a walk around the outside of the ground anyway, hearing the noise and looking longingly up through the industrial fencing, chicken wire and trees to the backs of the spectators at the back of the huge grass bank, as if I were gazing at Miranda Kerr. I got around to the other side and asked a security man if there was any chance of getting in. "This is the players entrance, mate. Go up to the front." I went up to the front and there were a group of people walking back in after being outside. I was about to ask the Maori guy doing security if there was any chance of getting in but instead I kind of tagged onto the back of the group, and he just nodded me on, even though it was obvious he knew I hadn't a ticket.. Two NRL matches attended so far - combined cost: $0 (got a spare one outside the Manly - Sydney Roosters match last week for which a supporter refused to accept any payment for).

Penrith were 16-0 up when I got in but Wests got a try down below where I was as I was making my way across to the big hill. I tried to sit down on the grass but the sun was blinding me so I went to stand further up towards the back. I allowed myself a beer as the combined cost of the taxi and the beer was still considerably lower than a face value ticket would have been. Penrith tagged on two tries to kill the game off. Wests got a consolation at the end. The banter between the supporters was splendid indeed, very GAA-like but with more swearing, people drinking cans of beer and openly flouting the no-smoking rule. I tentatively positioned myself near a mixed group of Wests and Penrith supporters who were bantering each other. I made some general, neutral, twee comment about the match, whereupon a Penrith supporter replied in the general conversational manner of Australians (they call it shouting in Ireland). "Yaaoooouuuurre Irish, maaayte... HAND OF FROG!" Recognising that he was talking about Thierry Henry I replied that I had attended the match in question. "Naaaooow fackin way, maaaayte.." He then toasted me with his can of Carlton. As I left I inquired from a supporter where I could get a black and amber hooped Tigers beanie like the one he was wearing. I told him they weren't the only black and amber team with a feline nickname that would be torn apart today (that didn't quite work out). He didn't get that but responded "Ha, mate, my grandmother knitted this for me. I'll give it to you for $100!" The manually operated scoreboard showed the real final score as I left, and that what everybody had just witnessed had been an illusion - Wests 69 (11 tries, 12 goals) to Penrith's 0. :D

Leichardt Oval is a wonderful venue, a compact, intimate venue by the banks of the Parramatta, although you can't see the river as half the ground is hemmed in by woods. The hill there is a bit like the old one at Clones, and the surrounding area had the traffic jams afterwards to match. There's a move on in Rugby League to try and do away with smaller suburban grounds like this one and Brookvale Oval in Manly which I attended last week, in a similar manner to what the AFL has done in Melbourne where all matches are played in only two stadiums. That would be a serious mistake. The match experience at both grounds is wonderful, with the more family orientated crowd sitting on the grass lower down, the more hardcore element standing further back, where the banter, insults, beer and laughs fly around. It's a real, proper match experience, way removed from the sterile dirge of flat pack new stadiums like the new Lansdowne Road. Real people, real atmosphere, despite the cheesy public address announcements and songs. Some people would call this kind of a place a shlthole and in Ireland there's no way it would have a safety certificate, but I fooking loved it, despite the two hours it took to get back home (home as in where I'm staying, not home as in Ireland. Two hours would be a wonderfully quick flight).

Mike Ford came out saying he;'ll be in the backrow, since the RFU refused to pay any of his wages and compensation they have no say on where he's put. Ford wants a brute in the BR with Eastmond 12

Well he certainly could play there. He'd be a machine at 6 or 8 but at 12 with his offloading game he could be awesome.

Be interesting to see how he does and hopefully he'll be more Jason Robinson than Benji Marshall ;) (albeit that two two players were backs)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Paddy Constable

Rabbitohs lost to the Gold Coast Titans ...how did that happen.

Was in the Suncorp for the game against the Broncos...Bunnies won 28/26 ...magic.

Rabbitohs lost to the Gold Coast Titans ...how did that happen.

Was in the Suncorp for the game against the Broncos...Bunnies won 28/26 ...magic.

The Rabbitohs bounced back with a bang this morning against the Eels.

Maybe a bit harsh as he was on the wrong end of the scoreline but Sam Burgess with two tries outplayed Hayne in the Dally M medal race too.

Big game this weekend is Penrith vs Sydney Roosters. If Penrith can get a win there with all their injuries then they have to be taken seriously. Looking forward to Moylan in the halves as well.

Big win for the Warriors, done their points difference the world of good too! Raiders all over the shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement