Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

State of Origin

Options
  • 23-05-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

first match on today,
    got the sky box set and hoping to avoid the score until tonight,

hoping for a series win for the maroons,

anyone else watching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

mountain wrote: »
    first match on today,
    got the sky box set and hoping to avoid the score until tonight,

hoping for a series win for the maroons,

anyone else watching?

yeah i watched it down here in Sydney , game 1 was an absolute belter of a game , although the ref's kinda ruined it by awarding a dodgy try and penalizing Greg bird for a great tackle which was deemed to be dangerous , im really looking forward to game 2 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yea following it as well as the weekly NRL games.
    The refs made a few dodgy decisions for sure. Looking forward to game 2. Queensland look so strong it's hard to see them losing the series.

old gregg wrote: »
    yea following it as well as the weekly NRL games.
    The refs made a few dodgy decisions for sure. Looking forward to game 2. Queensland look so strong it's hard to see them losing the series.

i can see NSW winning game two but i cant see them going to QLD and winning up there in game 3 , everything hinges on game 2 , its gonna be a blockbuster !!

daftdave wrote: »
    i can see NSW winning game two but i cant see them going to QLD and winning up there in game 3 , everything hinges on game 2 , its gonna be a blockbuster !!

agree with you there all round.
    Have to say, is there any sporting event anywhere that tops Origin? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If Queensland win it for the ?7th year in a row it wont add much to its appeal outside Australia, or if they were to win another couple of years, it wouldn't add much to its appeal outside Queensland. :pac:

• Advertisement

dont think so , this time 3 years ago, i didnt have the remotest interest in rugby league , i now watch it more than i watch football which was my first love sports wise!!

origin is unreal !

daftdave wrote: »

origin is unreal !

Origin is the only time of year when I entertain thoughts of a man-crush :D

Quite a good article from a NSW point of view shooting down my theory!

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/04/13/nsw-time-to-embrace-our-origin-failure/

Personally I enjoy the origin series, but don't feel as into it as an aussie, or someone immersed in the build up living in Australia with wall to wall coverage. If someone gets into RL because of it, great, but to me it's just 3 games, admittedly of the highest quality and intensity, of Rugby League. Regardless of the standard, I will always prefer watching NRL or Super League or International Rugby League to the origin.

Origin 2 in 35 mins :) this day just keeps getting better.

now that was epic to say the least. Sets things up nicely for Origin 3 in July.

• Advertisement

Qld had a fair few errors that game, only a couple from NSW that I can remeber anyway, good game and worthy winners. Can't see past QLD for last game in their own place though.

that was some game , cant friggin wait until origin 3 , reckon QLD will win but i really hope nsw do !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭mountain

getting ready for this in the morning,

have to say that as a queensland supporter, i am feeling a little nervous....

yep, not long to go now. Go Queensland :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭mountain

A great game to finish a great series,
    queensland just scraped home, think we were the better team on the day,
    game had it all, traditional fights, controversy, great trys, and nail biting finish.

yea it was a great closer to this year's series. Glad it came down to the last few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Come on the Blues!

really looking forward to this one, if nsw dont win tonight, they can forget about the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Great win for NSW, sets the series up brilliantly. The Maroons seemed below par for much of the game. Thought Slater, Thurston, Smith looked off...or perhaps it was just the Superb NSW defence? Gallen was magnificent for the light blues (but following that flurry of punches on Myles might be in trouble) and how good were Hayne, Ferguson and Maloney? I sense NSW are in with a genuine shout this year and reckon the next game is going to be a stormer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Was it shown on Sky here? Is there anyway I can see the next two games from Ireland?

• Advertisement

alfalad wrote: »
    Was it shown on Sky here? Is there anyway I can see the next two games from Ireland?

Sky certainly aren't showing it live. I get Premier Sports here in the UK for the NRL and as far as I know they've got exclusive Origin rights.

Setanta are showing it over here...

Great game - although i though Queensland were very poor. Looks like the team needs some fresh faces. There didn't seem to be any spark there. Usuallt that spark comes from Thurston & Slater but i've never seen them play quieter games.

Hats off to NSW though - they were by far the hungrier side. There defense was superb and they fought for everything.

Can't see Queensland winning it this year - maybe a year too many for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Its going to be a real contest this year after that first game.
    Hard to believe both sides kept that intensity up to the the end.

Paul Gallen could be a big loss if he gets heavily penalized.
    I hate to admit it, but the blues are in with a real chance there.
    Having two home games is always a big advantage. It's a shame that the Melbourne leg was a wet welly, it added a lot of balance to the series.

I'm really glad that they've got their win under their belt. Outstanding performances from so many players, Brett and Josh Morris, and Ferguson were definite stand out workhorses.

The Danger is that it was on off-form Maroon side, in a hostile venue. It will definitely be a different kettle of fish at Lang Park, I just hope it doesn't slip away from QLD in the second leg.

Great showcase of Aussie Rugby League talent

Great showcase of Aussie Rugby League talent

Astonishing levels of skill and intensity (even if the maroons were a bit off). Here in the UK people talk about the England team having a genuine chance at the world cup this year (perhaps largely off the back of brits playing in the NRL, The burgess bros, Reed, Widdup, Graham etc...) but both those teams yesterday played a level above anything over here, international or club.....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Queensland will destroy them at the Suncorp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I don't watch a whole lot of League but I decided to watch the match from yesterday to see what the craic is with Origin.

Can someone tell me how the incident towards the end of the first half did not result in a red card to Gallan?

Can someone tell me how the incident towards the end of the first half did not result in a red card to Gallan?

I can't, it should have. My only response is no one wanted origin 1 ruined 5 mins before the end of the first half with a red card. Also culturally there is a higher tolerance for a bit of a punch-up in league generally but in NRL in particular. There is a 'report' system in RL, which allows a ref to refer something he's not sure of or hasn't seen for retrospective consideration which has been done. Gallen won't have heard the last of it, that's for sure

Gallen got a weeks suspension - so he'll miss this weekends game against the Storm.

Pretty lenient penalty considering the offence so i doubt Gallen has any regrets. He probably would have sat out this weekend anyway so he could rest his bad knee.

Origin II is gonna be a good one...

Gallens been banned for one week. He'll miss next week's Cronulla sharks game. Next time he an Myles meet, should be interesting...

• Advertisement

Mad that 2 Refs could only manage to put it on report, maybe they need another 2 or 3 Refs. Not a hard one to call, Origin or not.

Hopefully Qld will do the business next game (and I think they will), its great for the series that NSW got the first win though.

Advertisement