Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singlespeed Conversions

Options
  • 11-06-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking of converting a bike of mine into a singlespeed and i was just wondering what is the best way to do it?

I have relatively little experience or knowledge of bike mechanics and any site ive looked at on the subject has left me feeling inadequate.

So im wondering is it worth my while (or even feasible) to try and do it myself or would i be better off just taking it to a bike shop and letting them do it? And does any one have any idea how much it would cost to get done in a shop?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

It's mostly easy, but it depends on the doner bike: you'll need some way to tension th chain, so if the bike has horizontal-ish drop-outs, where the rear axle sits, that will be simple enough. But if the bike is anyways "modern" the drop-outs are nearly always near-vertical, so you'd need something like a White Industries ENO hub (which has an eccentric allowing the axle to be moved forward & back), or the Surly Singleator, kind of a derailler-replacement.
    Second hardest thing is getting the chain line right, which imay nvolve changing bottom bracket spindle length, chain-wheels, spacers, ... http://www.charliethebikemonger.com has got a lot of handy parts for conversions (look for him on ebay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

On a similar note, just how difficult is it to build a road bike D.I.Y.
    I'm fairly hands on but never put a bike together from scratch. Would a bike maintenance manual be enough or would I be taking a big risk trying to save a few euro ordering the parts to build myself?

Sorry to hijack your thread disney.

clown bag wrote: »
    Ojust how difficult is it to build a road bike D.I.Y. ... or would I be taking a big risk trying to save a few euro ordering the parts to build myself?
    If you buy modern components, it's like putting lego together - most parts all play together nicely, you just want good tools (inc. a torque wrench for all that delicate alloy) and lashings of grease (you'll want to take those pedals off again someday).
    Big plus is you can always fix your own bike, big minus is, you'll never save any money over a ready-made bike (but, if you're careful, you'll have much better quality and a bike that suits your needs better).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Most bike shops won't convert a bike to singlespeed for you (and most wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about) - it's not really worth their while. You can probably find all you need to know here:
    http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml
    and here:
    http://www.63xc.com/

Putting a road bike together is very straightforward if you have the necessary tools - just follow the instructions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

rp wrote: »
    Big plus is you can always fix your own bike, big minus is, you'll never save any money over a ready-made bike (but, if you're careful, you'll have much better quality and a bike that suits your needs better).

These are the main reasons why I'm toying with the idea. I want to be able to look after and fix it myself. Also as you mention, I want a bike that suits me with quality components (If I get it right, better quality than a € equivalent ready made bike).

Compatibility of the parts I buy is my biggest concern as well as judging the drop from saddle to handle bar. Are the adjustable stems worthwhile or do people recommend getting it right with a short fixed stem. I don't want too much of a drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

These are the main reasons why I'm toying with the idea. I want to be able to look after and fix it myself. Also as you mention, I want a bike that suits me with quality components (If I get it right, better quality than a € equivalent ready made bike).

Compatibility of the parts I buy is my biggest concern as well as judging the drop from saddle to handle bar. Are the adjustable stems worthwhile or do people recommend getting it right with a short fixed stem. I don't want too much of a drop.
    Learning and being able to look after are the reasons to do it as you are very unlikely to save money in the aggregate. You can however have whatever you like. I would tend to avoid adjustable stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

This is what you should read, the man was an authority (the authority, imho) on it.

my biggest concern as well as judging the drop from saddle to handle bar. Are the adjustable stems worthwhile or do people recommend getting it right with a short fixed stem. I don't want too much of a drop.
    If you using a new fork, leave plenty of steerer sticking out, and ride it around a few weeks, experimenting by moving spacers above or below the stem. Only then cut it to size. Even if you get it wrong, you can always get a Limp Dick(tm) and flip it up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hi,

Im thinking of converting a bike of mine into a singlespeed and i was just wondering what is the best way to do it?

I have relatively little experience or knowledge of bike mechanics and any site ive looked at on the subject has left me feeling inadequate.

So im wondering is it worth my while (or even feasible) to try and do it myself or would i be better off just taking it to a bike shop and letting them do it? And does any one have any idea how much it would cost to get done in a shop?

As the others say, Sheldon Brown is a good place to start. Best thing is to make sure the frame you get has horizontal dropouts. Next easiest step is to make sure the rear wheel doesn't have a screw on cassette (Sheldon explains this). You can of course do it with a screw-on and vertical dropouts, it just makes things a bit more awkward.

It's actually trivial to do. Get an old bike and give it a lash, lots of people on here will be willing to provide advice or even give a hand if you get stuck. Search through the forum.

Must chuck a page onto the wiki for self-made fixies/singlespeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Thanks for the replies.

I think i'll give it a go myself seeing as the bike shop route isnt really an option. I would ultimately prefer to do it myself as i think it would not only would it be quite rewarding but it would also force me to actually learn more about bike mechanics, which can only be a good thing.

It will probably be a long process though and not something im gonna rush into but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end. I just need to find a crappy bike to mess around with now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement