Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma - Coolrail or Hotrail for Neck Position

Options
  • 22-06-2004 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Am getting a seymore duncan single sized humbucker for my strat (since they have a great sound imho) but cant decide whether I should get coolrail or hotrail. I know coolrail is more often recommended for neck position but I want the humbucker for heavy stuff so perhaps the hotrail would be better?

Not replacing the extra hot tex mex special coil on my bridge by the way. Its got too good of a sound on my strat. Thats why I can decide, otherwise Id get hotrail on bridge, coolrail on neck. What do people with knowledge on these think?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Check the output specs on each of the pickups. If there's a big discrepancy between the output of your bridge and neck pickups you'll never be happy.

Going on what you say about your bridge pickup, I'd say Hotrail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Funnily enough there is already a reasonable large discrepancy between my bridge pickup (loud) and neck pickup (quiet). Its usually not too much of an issue though because I know where I want my amp set for both without any fiddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Just a regular strat pickup in the neck? Then go for the loud one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I'd go with the Hot Rails myself. Some good info here:

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/SHR1
    http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/SCR1

And generally around that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Coolrails for Neck, Hotrails for Bridge.

The pickup in the neck pickup is usually loud anyway, because the strings vibrate more. Just adjust the height until you're happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Cindy Love

Cant really give you any info on coolrails ,but my strat is a custom souped up beatch of a guitar with hot rails in both neck and bridge positions.To be honest i usually play neck pick up or mid-but the hot rails dramatically increase gain.THey are loud mutha's.Ive been playin them for about 5 years and havent really looked back.At times they can be a bit "bass'y"(is there such a word?) but you sound like u have some experience playin and thats easy to rectify.I still use the standerd stock mid pick up, and have found that for the more mellow parts in songs tis nice to flick to this position.How much are hotrails in Ireland,i got mine in the states.Maybe you should think about lace sensor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Bought the hotrails for the neck position. they were €85 on Thomann. Got a Dunlop wah too, and I also made the most frivilous purchase of my life :)
    I bought a Marshall stack. Well, a teeny tiny 2Watt stack for €50 :)

Advertisement