Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in France

Options
  • 14-06-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi guys,

planning a cycling trip to france (prob south) for the end of august. The initial plan is to brink the bikes over on the plan, and cycle around for a week or so (prob about 100km a day), and stay in hostels where available, and camp otherwise.

Just looking into routes, and the logistics of it (i.e. geting the bikes over, carrying equipment etc). If anyone has any experience id be glad to hear it. The route planning is probably the part that needs the most work!

Cheers

Comments

There was a good thread a few days ago here which might be handy: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055309775

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Anzer123

cool..that was useful. Couple of extra questions though...

As we plan on doin a fair bit of camping...does anyone have any reccomendations for a lightweight tent suitable for carrying on the bike and possibly big enough to fit 2 people and 2 bike into?

Also, Bordeaux, Biarritz, Tolouse, Boudeaux seems to be a good route for the distances and lenth of time i have in mind. Any opinions on that?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have a cheap 2-person tent which is light enough- whatever you get aim for simple erection, there are some really good ones now that are really easy to put up. (My one is two poles that cross in the centre.) You can take turns carrying it ;-)

You don't need to put the bikes in the tent, rule that out now. Camping in France is very good, probably the best in Europe. Look for municipal campsites. Get a book but in general you will find more on the coast.

Around Bordeaux and Biarritz is very flat and it is a very nice part of France, if you are fit and used to the distance you will manage 100km a day there no problem.

Enjoy the holiday, sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Anzer123 wrote: »

Also, Bordeaux, Biarritz, Tolouse, Boudeaux seems to be a good route for the distances and lenth of time i have in mind. Any opinions on that?

Home sweet Home, couldn't recommend a better place to go. Bordeaux is a very beautiful city, I hope you will visit the city centre ... and go for a drink in Old Bordeaux, on the terrasse at around 8/9PM when it cools down ...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Anzer123

he he..thanks for the help and advice guys! Ill let ye know the plans when i get my s%!t together! cant wait!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement