Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What drummer(s) inspired your set up?

• 07-07-2004 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

I'm just curious really...
    Mine is definitely a mix of Brad Wilk's kit from his early RATM days:- 2 toms, 2 crashes, cowbells and a china, placing the two crashes above the rack tom and bringing the ride in realllll close
    and
    Raymond Herrera's from back before Obsolete:- adding a second china and double bass pedals then placing the two Chinas at opposite ends of the kit.
    Also have a splash that's constantly moving around...just wanted that extra flava!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Interesting thread,,,
    well I suppose Neil Pearts influence on me is a big factor in my STYLE of drumming, I tried not to be copying his set up, but having that sort of drumming style (albeit a veryyyy poor comparison to his!!), well I just had to go with the descending tom patterns from 8inch down to 16 inch, so needed a kit with 6 toms at least to give that feel.He has DW I have SONOR, but they sound and look damm good ..so no complaints there!
    I added a cuban style timbale down on my left with a couple of cowbells clave block etc, for extra sound, and well Zildjian and wuhan china's cover the rest. Mind you for years he used only Avedis Zildjian, he had a 22inch ping ride, I liked it's sound, but got a 20inch one instead, so as not to be a complete copy cat, all my crashes are K's and ACustoms, so again a bit different, but overall the cymbal set up lends itself to his kind of sound. And now of course he's gone to SABIAN!!,,ahh well Ill stick with Zildjian it's the sound I like. So I suppose many of us TRY to emulate our hero's,,,but on a much lesser scale and budget!...mind you,,half the fun is getting close to that sound and making it your own,,,now THATS private success in my eyes!

ciao' amigo..Baggio.......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

If I had the cash, I'd go for something like my favourite drummer, Carter Beauford, even though I wouldn't be able to use most of it.

http://www.davematthewsband.com/band/band_eqlist.asp?member=Carter#

Monsterous.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hey Fitz,,
    yes I have only seen Carter Beauford once,,he appears on Neil Peart's DVD as an ad for his own DVD,,,yep,,he's terrific, I'm always puzzled as to how he holds his stix...their really loose in his hands right down near the very end of the stick,
    very unusual,,but it seems to work well for him. Ever see him or the DMB live?...

ciao' amigo...Baggio...........

Only on the Central Park Concert dvd.
    Startlingly good...the man's a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

He's pretty good... I guess. But he's no Jimmy Chamberlin. :p

• Advertisement

Why you! *shakes fist*
    :D

You're right though, he's no Chamberlain, but then Chamberlain's no Beauford.
    Completely different styles though.

Both have unnatural kick abilities mind you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

strangely enough.. as much as my preferred style of playing is a product of my influences... they don't really inspire my set up. when you listen to your influences they could be playing DW when you're already playing pearl. thats not something you can change that easily... if anything I listen to their cymbals... José Pasilas is playing some nice ones..and he also plays sabian which I prefer and am more familiar with. Jimmy Chamberlain is my biggest influence but he plays Yamaha and Zildjian and I don't know as much about them..I don't really go out of my way to get what my influences are playing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Anyone see The Black Eyed Peas at Oxegen?

Their drummer had those holes in his crashes (are they called "rivets"? Or is that something else?).

What exactly does that do to the tone? There was a lot of stuff going on at the same time, so it was hard to make out. I ain't no drummer, so that's why I ask, but I'd imagine that they'd make the cymbals sound a bit more china-ish...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

There's two types a cymbals with holes...there's the ones with rivets, and there's huge gaping holes in them...the only crash I've seen like that is the Sabian HHX Evolution crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

2 extremes -

Tommy Ramone (not even a proper drummer but inspirational in a "jesus , I can do that" type of way)

Neil Peart - nuff said.

oh , and Phil Rudd for being the most consistant 4/4 drummer in the world. Nothing fancy , but everything just right - an art in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭chess

Utterly delighted to see NEIL PEART's name pop up a few times in this thread, usually you are met with silence when you mention that name!

My set-up has to be my own (and i dont mean this is an ego tistical (*spell) way!) I just setup my gear in the best way for me to reach and hit things comfortably.I tried Peart's set-up (with the ride between the toms) but just found i didnt like the 'feel', and if you're reading this thread you know exactly what i mean by 'feel'

I guess our heros set-ups are to their specific taste after years of playin just like ours are/will be.

Make sense ?

Advertisement