Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cymbals

• 05-07-2004 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Im looking for a 16" crash and a 20" ride preferably paiste 302 or sabien B8. Any one who has any for sale let me know!!
    Cheers,
    Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Ya should really go a step higher and go for some B8 Pro stuff, it's seriously good and fairly cheap as well. Sure I've upgraded every cymbal on me kit except my B8 Pro hats that I got with the kit, and they sound lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

If you're shopping cheap for a first set of cymbals then you may as well stick with the B8's. In that general range they really sound much the same. Unless you're going upmarket for AAs or HH then it matters very little, imo. Just don't ever try and record with them! ;) Try the buy and sell, there's usually someone flogging B8's in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The 302's dont sound too bad though

They really don't record well at all. B8's are actually marginally better, tbh.

If you're going down the first hand route take a look at http://www.massmusic.net. Even after shipping and VAT, cymbals are at most 75% of the price. I got a couple of AAX's there last year.

Trust me it's a big step up from B8 to B8 Pro Eoin, I had 2 crashes before, one B8 and one B8 Pro, both standard 16" Medium Crashes, and the difference in sound was incredible! Then of course my B8 Pro Crash smashed and got a serious upgrade - A HandHammered 16" Dark Crash...mmmm....

• Advertisement

Yeah, long ago I owned B8s and I had some B8pros for a while too. I've recorded a lot of them since as well. The B8Pros are undoubtedly nicer sounding alright, but they're still cack when compared to AAs or Hand Hammered. For starter cymbals there's not much point in paying the extra cash. I'd say use the cheap ones to learn with, and then save for some relatively serious cymbals. I think middle of the road stuff is bit of a waste of money.

my biggest problem with cymbals is that they are simply too expensive for good ones. They are disposable, if they lasted longer (couple of years) then maybe id fork out for really good ones. but when most of the time you are playing live a lot decent cheapos are the way to go if you ask me. If they do (and they will) crack , its only a coupla squid via www.musicstore.com Paiste 302's rebadged for Literal Pennys!

Well, I dunno. I've never cracked a cymbal myself and I play rock. I've had my AAX Stage Crash for nearly four years now. Are you in a metal band perchance? ;) I'm not entirely sure but I think the only uncracked Chinese cymbal I've ever seen in my studio is my own. :D

I've only every cracked 1 cymbal and I'm a metal player (mostly at any rate)...it was my beloved AA Bright Crash...went perfectly with my HandHammered Dark Crash ...*sob*...but then I got an AAX Aaxplosion Crash! *drool*.
    It's all about how ya hit the cymbals that detirmines their shelf life, I've had my 802 splash for years now and it's still mint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I haven't cracked a cymbal in many years of rock and metal playing. Must be the angle you play them at. A good cymbal will bend but not break.

It's worth saving your pennies and getting at least something from the AA range. B8 aren't worth the metal they're made out of IMO.

• Advertisement

the amount of cymbals we've gone through both good brands and bad brands is amazing. I have a cymbal graveyard in my house!

Melt them all down and make a ginormous unbreakable cymbal ;)

Ooh that'd be cool!
    No I just sold off all my piece of crap cymbals to get money for better cymbals! Sold my old ride and got €100 for it...contributed towards getting my 22" HandHammered Dry Raw Ride (they're not made any more in that size!)...well worth the €400 I paid, as I'll have that ride for many many years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bonzo

Paiste 2002 are the way to go.
    I bought a full set of 70's black labels,including 15" Sound Edge Hats,for 1/3 of the price of the new ones from E-bay.
    Still 500 euro but well worth the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

If you're cracking cymbals... same as if you break drum sticks very, very regularly, you're not hitting them right. I've never cracked a cymbal in 10 years of playing and I rarely break sticks.

I break sticks a fair bit, but they're usually cheap ones...plus I am a bit of a hard hitter.
    I was up in music maker yesterday gettin some stuff and I saw this guy going around trying out cymbals...I coulda slapped him! He was hitting them straight on rather than hitting the surface of them...now that's how ya break cymbals easily! He was also hitting Chinas like that, rather then inverting them...dumb bastard.

Yeah, I haven't broken sticks in ages... since I learned to stop milling into my hh hats with the edge of the stick. You see drummers riding on the edge of a Chinese cymbal from time to time. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Daniel_109

so do any of you actually have any cymbals for sale??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I've a destroyed ol' Pro Sonix 16" crash. Near mint condition, if you overlook the 3inch gash and various other 'minor scuffles'. Hardly been played, €60.

:D :ninja: :rolleyes: :D

Nah I still mill inta the ol' hats with the stick...I just prefer the sound of it to playing on top of them.

• Advertisement

Sounds ****ing desperate in recordings though, no matter how good the Hihats are are. Hitting them too hard seems to stop them from moving properly or something. You get a bollock-load of spill into the snare mic too. And nothing on this earth sounds quite as bad as HiHats into an SM58.

No it's not that I'm hittin' them too hard, it's just I still dig into the edge with me sticks...and that's the beauty of V-Drums:- can hit 'em as hard as ya please without getting everything muddled up. Whey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Ah.... drummers who think you have to smack the shít out of a kit to make it sound good. Ye gotta love em. Reminds me of when I was 15.

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Ah.... drummers who think you have to smack the shít out of a kit to make it sound good. Ye gotta love em. Reminds me of when I was 15.

The defining statement right there. Excellent moment of clarity Dr. Loon. Bravo sir! That should be engraved into every drum stick sold worldwide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by the_obsolete
    No it's not that I'm hittin' them too hard, it's just I still dig into the edge with me sticks...and that's the beauty of V-Drums:- can hit 'em as hard as ya please without getting everything muddled up. Whey!

Playing on the V-Drums like that at home really gave me some terrible habits.
    So what about when you go to jam with a band and use an acoustic kit? Still gonna play like that? Or learn to have to quickly adapt to the fresh setup. Being beaten (!) into applying less force while playing was the best thing thats ever happened for my drumming.

Ah well now i may be thick, but i ain't that thick. I meant that when recording on an acoustic kit you can get sounds flowing into mics where they're not wanted, whereas on the v-drums that's an impossibility. I am a hard hitter granted, but i can quiet down when i need to....sure dynamics is one of the most powerful things when it comes to the drums, and i love playing around with that fact...light to loud and back again...love it!

Advertisement