Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pints under 5euro dublin city center

Options
  • 23-11-2019 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Any place in dublin city centre for pints under 5euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

is there any website that gives a list of prices for beer in dublin pubs?

Assuming, OP, you don't want an actual muc or kak "Pint of Guinness"

mmm.. your options might be constrained lil but.

Have a stroll around Portobello.

Otherwise you might be experiencing the likes of Mexican Food squits instead of say post Guinness squits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Assuming, OP, you don't want an actual muc or kak "Pint of Guinness"

mmm.. your options might be constrained lil but.

Have a stroll around Portobello.

Otherwise you might be experiencing the likes of Mexican Food squits instead of say post Guinness squits.

Exactly, the dearer a pint the better it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Cleary’s In amiens street. 4.40 for a Guinness and it’s very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thebourke wrote: »
    Any place in dublin city centre for pints under 5euro.

Diceys Garden on Harcourt Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wetherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Snug on Stephen St Lower is cheap afaik.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you get a Guild card from JW Sweetman, the house beers are under €5 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

rubadub wrote: »
    wetherspoons

I got curious and nipped in to a Wetherspoons pub for a quick walk around and quickly decided it's a place where fun goes to die. All that's missing is slot machines.

The decor, the undercooked chips, the lighting, the atmosphere, the general tattiness and cheapness is everything that an Irish pub is not.

I know I'm not being very helpful here by not finding pints for under €5 in the city, but I'd avoid Wetherspoons for ones sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I got curious and nipped in to a Wetherspoons pub for a quick walk around and quickly decided it's a place where fun goes to die. All that's missing is slot machines.

The decor, the undercooked chips, the lighting, the atmosphere, the general tattiness and cheapness is everything that an Irish pub is not.

I know I'm not being very helpful here by not finding pints for under €5 in the city, but I'd avoid Wetherspoons for ones sanity.

It's a cheap alcohol and food pub chain from the UK, it's not supposed to be an Irish pub. Even in the UK people avoid them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pints of guinness, €5 in Fallons in D8.
    O'Reillys under Tara st station seem to have some variation of beer offer every night of the week.
    Drunken Fish in the IFSC had pints of Heineken for €4.90 last time i was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Had a pint of Weatherspoons own Pale Ale yesterday in the Silver Penny on Abbey Street. Was EUR 3.75 and wasn't too bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Was in Ryan’s on Store Street yesterday and they’re selling Beck’s for €4.60. Never tried it myself but I’m sure someone must like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

The Little Tree in Summerhill does a Guinness for 4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Porterhouse central has a pint of the day for 4.50

Monday Temple bar Larger
    Tueday Plain porter
    Wed Yippy IPA
    Thurs Pilsner
    Friday Nitro Red
    Sat Dublin Pale ale.
    Sun Oyster Stout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's absolutely ****e. I hate it, I'm even bored when I with my friends there. I'd quite happily (and do) pay more a pint in a place with some atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

the metro in parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

The Silver Penny on Abbey St

It's a Wetherspoons but its cheap and good drinks for less than a fiver.

Pint of John Smith's is 3.50.

Culchie_85 wrote: »
    The Silver Penny on Abbey St

It's a Wetherspoons but its cheap and good drinks for less than a fiver.

Pint of John Smith's is 3.50.

It's desperate though. Beige, bland, cheap (and I mean cheap without value), soulless, faux, mean & nasty. If Deals did a pub it would be Wetherspoons. There's a sense of Pound shop, detergent & lipstick on a pig about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

John Smith's tastes like dirty dishwater also, only Brits would drink it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The Wetherspoons in Abbey St is awful, the one in DL is too busy, but the one in Blackrock isn't all bad. Avoid after 7pm but during the day midweek or even a Saturday it's nice and quiet and they do great food, which is insanely cheap. You can get a good big chicken wrap, chips and a pint for 7 quid like. The same could be at least 15 euro in other places.

Back to the OP, a friend of my father who is retired in Dublin says a few places do drink offers in City centre during week during the day, ie a certain price before 5pm or 8pm or whatever

I know that the Clock on Thomas Street do cheap Guinness and it ain't the worst place on a Saturday afternoon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭various artistes

Spoons is a godsend. I used to love a meet up in the likes of the Grand Central or Fitzgeralds but I just can't justify paying 6 euro a pint when I can get them for 3.40 down in Spoons. You might say Diceys has operated similar for years but the place is like ****ing Hillsborough, an absolute sardine can.

A more pertinent question would be what pubs sell Tuborg and/ or Fosters on draught? Not bad beers at all and they're always a euro or two cheaper than the more established brands.

O'Reillys under Tara St station do cheap pints but it's a dark, sometimes chilly, studenty dump in fairness.

Spoons is a godsend. I used to love a meet up in the likes of the Grand Central or Fitzgeralds but I just can't justify paying 6 euro a pint when I can get them for 3.40 down in Spoons

That's just a race to the bottom. It's comparable to a bag of cans in the park on a winters night to save a few €.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The hyperbole/hyperbollocks you hear about spoons always gives me a giggle. Many have their mind firmly made up before going in.

I have only been in the one in blackrock here and have set foot in MANY far worse pubs, FAR worse.

Some might not like one of their pubs, fair enough, but for many I would bet if they did not know it was a spoons their "reviews"/comments about it would be a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The Pav in Trinity.

The Snug, if you don't mind mixing with some nefarious characters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you drink Beamish and/or Smithwicks nearly every older pub is a fiver or less. Used to be that Smithwicks was dearer than Guinness but I've started to notice it being cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

DoraDelite wrote: »
    The Little Tree in Summerhill does a Guinness for 4.50

Heard the barman loves a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

rubadub wrote: »
    The hyperbole/hyperbollocks you hear about spoons always gives me a giggle. Many have their mind firmly made up before going

Exactly. Most of it isn't even logical.

It's like a hysterical denunciation on behalf of the hoary idea of the perfect Irish pub. If it was an Irish chain as opposed to a British one, nobody would care enough to rant about it so much.

You may as well make a similar observation about hotel or airport bars. It's a different pub offering. Just because it's not Grogans or the Stags Head doesn't invalidate it.

Exactly. Most of it isn't even logical.

It's like a hysterical denunciation on behalf of the hoary idea of the perfect Irish pub. If it was an Irish chain as opposed to a British one, nobody would care enough to rant about it so much.

You may as well make a similar observation about hotel or airport bars. It's a different pub offering. Just because it's not Grogans or the Stags Head doesn't invalidate it.

I visited the one on Abbey st. in Dublin with an open mind and did not like it one bit.

It's obviously fine for yourself and Rubadub.
    But for some, what makes a good pub isn't just cheap beer.
    Ambience, surroundings, decor, lighting, layout design, furnishings, tone and aesthetics come in to play for the more sensitive type like myself!

Have a quiet pint in the Flowing Tide and then wonder up the road to Wetherspoons. It's like walking out of a library to visit one of those leisureplex places.

All said, I'm don't drink a huge amount of pints when I'm out, so price wouldn't be a factor for me so my posts aren't really in the spirit of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was this at the new Abbey St Wetherspoons? Haven't been there yet, but AFAIK, it's the only pub so far in Ireland that they built fresh, as opposed to taking over an existing establishment.

The Three Tun Tavern (Blackrock) or the Old Borough (Swords) are nice, but I'm sure were nice before Wetherspoons came along.

=-=

Diceys sell drink at €2 a pint on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but at about 5pm the queue gets long because of the Brazilians.

Advertisement