Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any men here not enjoy watching/following sports?

Options
2»

Comments

Would have a keen interest in rugby and then would follow the likes of boxing/mma/F1 and hurling closely enough and watch the bigger occasions. Olympics I try to watch all of it.

No interest in soccer, I like playing it but can't understand how people can be die hard supporters of a foreign club they've absolutely no connection to, with the players switching teams each season like a game of musical chairs. Most of all it's the diving that puts me off - could never respect a grown man who carries on like that, much less idolise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Never really had any interest in Sport despite my mother's best intentions in taking me to many many Kildare football matches in Croke Park when I was a teenager. I briefly liked Newcastle United for a year or so when Kevin Keegan was there. Liked F1 for a time but lost interest in that too.

I even was called 'weird' by the mother in regards to a lack of interest in sport. My eldest brother on the other hand would bet on just about anything and sits almost permanently in front of the TV.

I'm currently 42 and don't watch, read or partake in any discussion with regards to sport. It's just never really done anything for me.

Could'nt give a flying fúk for watching or participating in sport.

Fairly savvy with Windows machines, now learning the ropes of Mac (i7 mini in my case).

I'm 47

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Do strongman competitions count?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

jimgoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't cross the road to watch soccer of any description, and as far as I'm concerned it only exists to keep certain types out of prison.

Jesus! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jesus! :rolleyes:

Have you seen what they do? Have you? They try to kick that ball-thing under the crossbar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

jimgoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't cross the road to watch soccer of any description, and as far as I'm concerned it only exists to keep certain types out of prison.
    You might be confusing it with boxing.:P

I used to love almost all sports and the drama of it. I'm not considered a man's man by any means. I'm slight, bookish, quiet and to the best of my knowledge I have never picked up a hammer or looked under the bonnet of a motor vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I didn't enjoy them growing up or even into my adolescent and college years, but having met as many different kinds of people as I have over the years I've gained an appreciation for sports.

I'm still not a huge fan by any stretch and it doesn't play a huge part in my life. Although when I'm out socializing while I don't feel any immediate desire to talk about it I don't really have a problem if it comes up even when I'm more of a listener than a contributor.

I don't watch many games but I will try catch the Dublin or Ireland matches, and although I wouldn't know the names of the players or their playing styles I have enjoyed some of them, particularly the tight Dublin vs Kerry match recently.

I've also seen how GAA brings families and communities together, and that to me is something truly special that as a casual sports fan I can respect. Always say more power to people if any hobby has been a benefit to their personal and/ or social lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was never into watching or playing to sport to be honest. I could get my bluff my way through things.
    I've nearly always got on very well with the GAA, Rugby guys tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I can't be the only man who's like this. I have some interest in tennis but not really tbh. I don't spend my life talking about it and not interested in watching huge matches.

I guess I'm not a sports fan and that seems pretty rare tbh. All the lads I know that are 21 like me talk about football, Gaelic like there's no tomorrow.

I posted about this a few weeks ago, asking Have we reached peak football and sports coverage? and another in LL How much football does your OH watch I got a litany of posts about how people can do what they like and to stop being judgemental that the thread actually got locked because people got their knickers is such a twist. I find that when people get some animated about something you've said theory tends to be an element of truth and you've cut to close to the bone.

I find as I get older I have more of a disdain for people who sit around watching someone 20 years younger than them kick a ball around a patch of grass. I honestly believe that people use sports as a stop gap for filing their empty heads and empty lives. People have become so materialistic that their idea of happiness is following a sports team and knowing the players names off by heart otherwise they might have to sit down and actually think about their lives for 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I posted about this a few weeks ago, asking Have we reached peak football and sports coverage? and another in LL How much football does your OH watch I got a litany of posts about how people can do what they like and to stop being judgemental that the thread actually got locked because people got their knickers is such a twist. I find that when people get some animated about something you've said theory tends to be an element of truth and you've cut to close to the bone.

I find as I get older I have more of a disdain for people who sit around watching someone 20 years younger than them kick a ball around a patch of grass. I honestly believe that people use sports as a stop gap for filing their empty heads and empty lives. People have become so materialistic that their idea of happiness is following a sports team and knowing the players names off by heart otherwise they might have to sit down and actually think about their lives for 5 minutes.

Well i can explain the disdain as the level of condescension in your AH thread is off the scale. I cannot see the other thread as the links are messed up but you must ask yourself when so many people are annoyed with what you posted are you actually the asshole?

People definitely do over do it but we all have our forms of escapism. It is just that escapism, life can be hard and people need to have a refuge of sorts so they don't have to think about things for a bit.

I would be more of a live and let live as long as it doesn't become disruptive. What is your own interest if i may ask? and why in your mind is it socially acceptable than people watching sport?

Unless of course you go to work (if you work), go home and stare at the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Calhoun wrote: »
    Well i can explain the disdain as the level of condescension in your AH thread is off the scale. I cannot see the other thread as the links are messed up but you must ask yourself when so many people are annoyed with what you posted are you actually the asshole?

People definitely do over do it but we all have our forms of escapism. It is just that escapism, life can be hard and people need to have a refuge of sorts so they don't have to think about things for a bit.

I would be more of a live and let live as long as it doesn't become disruptive. What is your own interest if i may ask? and why in your mind is it socially acceptable than people watching sport?

Unless of course you go to work (if you work), go home and stare at the wall.

Where was i being condescending, do you mean that particular thread or just in general?

Why is it that when someone posts an opinion that is not the received message the knee jerk reaction is to call foul and try and shut the thread down? Report, offence, judgemental! If I see a post or a thread I don’t agree with or dislike I just move on. For example, when I’m speaking my truth and other posters start throwing their toys out of the pram it just reinforces my opinion because if what I was saying wasn’t true then people wouldn’t get so worked up about it. Lets say you posted something about me or that a hobby I’m interested was crap, I wouldn’t waste my energy even responding because I would know that what they were saying doesn’t effect me because it’s not true, so when people get so worked up because their husband or spouse watches 6 hours of sports every weekend, they attack me rather than accept the fact that they don’t like that their OH spends all their time watching football statistics and they pretend to be ok with it and that actually they are unhappy in their relationship or what they see in their OH so they decide to attack me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Watching sports is right up there with watching a coat of Magnolia paint drying on a wall for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Where was i being condescending, do you mean that particular thread or just in general?

Why is it that when someone posts an opinion that is not the received message the knee jerk reaction is to call foul and try and shut the thread down? Report, offence, judgemental! If I see a post or a thread I don’t agree with or dislike I just move on. For example, when I’m speaking my truth and other posters start throwing their toys out of the pram it just reinforces my opinion because if what I was saying wasn’t true then people wouldn’t get so worked up about it. Lets say you posted something about me or that a hobby I’m interested was crap, I wouldn’t waste my energy even responding because I would know that what they were saying doesn’t effect me because it’s not true, so when people get so worked up because their husband or spouse watches 6 hours of sports every weekend, they attack me rather than accept the fact that they don’t like that their OH spends all their time watching football statistics and they pretend to be ok with it and that actually they are unhappy in their relationship or what they see in their OH so they decide to attack me instead.

The tone from your post in this thread and on the original thread comes across as very condescending. Maybe you don't mean it that way but thats how it reads, there is no compromise in what your saying. You could be talking about very extreme individuals but you don't clarify that point so taking it as reading you have a problem with anyone who enjoys watching sport.

If your going to post something in a discussion forum then you must be prepared to defend it or walk away. If you don't want to be challenged then don't do so or at least go to twitter or reddit and find an echochamber to re-enforce your opinion.

Your confusing people getting their backs up due to a horrible communication delivery and it being a valid confirmation of your point. You probably have some what of a point but your delivery is more than likely what got people attacking you and the post shut down.

I don't know what your talking about with the rest, as i didn't see people being annoyed over their husband on a thread so i cannot comment.

Advertisement