Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Options
  • 06-12-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Thinking of taking the plunge on one of these in the new year. It looks like full electric won't be an option for me as I live in an apartment complex so I've started to look at hybrids.

Toyota have been doing hybrids for quite a while now and the Camry is not a bad looking car tbf so it's top of my list at the moment

Anybody out there driving one and how do you find it?

How does the Camry compare to other hybrids in its price range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not great fuel consumption for a hybrid (but good for the size/segment of car).
    I live in an apartment and am on to my second EV at this address and third in total - don't let it stop you if you want EV

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Thanks for the feedback.

What's your charging set up for the EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

ELM327 wrote: »
    I live in an apartment and am on to my second EV at this address and third in total - don't let it stop you if you want EV

I’ve heard the economy is excellent - look at honestjohn for actual data to confirm but it appears it’s as good as any diesel that size. If you want a large EV of Camry size you only have options like Tesla Model S which will run you 90k. Something like a Kona will cost you the same but is two sizes below the Camry

I’d be very keen on one if I was in the market for a saloon

Casati wrote: »
    I’ve heard the economy is excellent - look at honestjohn for actual data to confirm but it appears it’s as good as any diesel that size. If you want a large EV of Camry size you only have options like Tesla Model S which will run you 90k. Something like a Kona will cost you the same but is two sizes below the Camry

I’d be very keen on one if I was in the market for a saloon
    used ones don't cost 90k, mine is coming in below 50k for a 2016 facelift s90d.
    I guess it depends on what your comparison is. If you're comparing with large diesels then yes it's good. If you're comparing to other hybrids or EVs then it won't be as good.

Tim76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

What's your charging set up for the EV?
    have a 32a 7kW charger at home and 22kW at work.

used ones don't cost 90k, mine is coming in below 50k for a 2016 facelift s90d.
    I guess it depends on what your comparison is. If you're comparing with large diesels then yes it's good. If you're comparing to other hybrids or EVs then it won't be as good.

have a 32a 7kW charger at home and 22kW at work.

If folks are thinking about buying brand new cars just launched they generally won’t consider a four year old import for for an extra 10k. A reasonable comparison would be a similarly priced new petrol or diesel in the same class but yes you are correct you can literally compare any car to a new Camry if you wish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Casati wrote: »
    If folks are thinking about buying brand new cars just launched they generally won’t consider a four year old import for for an extra 10k. A reasonable comparison would be a similarly priced new petrol or diesel in the same class but yes you are correct you can literally compare any car to a new Camry if you wish

If OP can't pluggin it'd be hard to find something more reliable/frugal than a Camry

I like the new pluggin Skoda Superb, starting at 40k, but need a plug for it

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/this-superb-plugin-does-85-6mpg-but-is-it-worth-the-extra-money-38750295.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Tim76 wrote: »
    Anybody out there driving one and how do you find it?

I have a Camry that I picked up in July. I love it. It's a big comfy car with a good spec and the 2.5l engine gives me all the power I'll need.

Fuel economy is interesting. I was driving it on country roads for a while during the Summer and to my surprise I was getting about 5.4 litres/100km.

During the rest of the summer, driving it with a light-ish foot, around a mixture city, country roads and some motorway, I was getting about 5.7 litres/100 km. Long motorway drive with smaller amount of city driving, it seemed to go down to about 6.2. I'd say it is less efficient now in the colder weather.

It does not like very short journeys such as popping to the shops. The engine seems to have to heat up before the battery is used in earnest. I drive 30km each way to work through the city and can get 5.7 or even better provided I don't drive in any way hard.

My only complaints are slight tire noise on some rough tarmac, but I had a Mondeo, so maybe my expectations are not realistic here (the Mondeo was very quiet inside). I've also noticed one or two very small rattles/vibrations in it. That's a slight worry for such a new and supposedly well built car.

Overall, I'm really pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

3rdDegree wrote: »

It does not like very short journeys such as popping to the shops. The engine seems to have to heat up before the battery is used in earnest.

Yes. Are you using the HVAC? If you turn that off on short trips the engine will run much less. Usually I find seat heaters sufficient for most short hops.

bp_me wrote: »
    Yes. Are you using the HVAC? If you turn that off on short trips the engine will run much less. Usually I find seat heaters sufficient for most short hops.

Tried this and you're right! When the heating system is on high, the engine is definitely on more. That explains why my fuel consumption has gone up since the weather turned; I'm a heat fiend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Tried this and you're right! When the heating system is on high, the engine is definitely on more.

Just setting it to "high" kinda defeats the purpose of having climate control ;)
    Try setting it to somewhere around 19-21 degrees and set to "Auto" (or "Auto Eco" if it has that), and adjust the temperature as needed - it will heat a lot more efficiently this way.

With the heated seats on, I find around 19 degrees good enough on cold days in my Prius.

But regardless, don't expect the same fuel consumption as you'd get in summer.

• Advertisement

Just setting it to "high" kinda defeats the purpose of having climate control ;)
    Try setting it to somewhere around 19-21 degrees and set to "Auto" (or "Auto Eco" if it has that), and adjust the temperature as needed - it will heat a lot more efficiently this way.

With the heated seats on, I find around 19 degrees good enough on cold days in my Prius.

I don't tend to ever set it to High. 19 degrees in the Camry would be a little cold for me! I find 22 (or 24 degrees when it's very cold) seems good. I'll try eco. From what I can gather, that just reduces the fan speed, but I think it should be warm enough.

Cheers

Thanks

I don't tend to ever set it to High. 19 degrees in the Camry would be a little cold for me! I find 22 (or 24 degrees when it's very cold) seems good. I'll try eco. From what I can gather, that just reduces the fan speed, but I think it should be warm enough.

Cheers

Thanks

ECO can reduce the air con performance so on a damp morning with misty windows it might not work. Overall your economy sounds great - by reference I had a 2.0 TDI Superb and would not beat your economy on country / motorway and would struggle to match it it in city driving

In my experience, Auto+Eco reduces fan speed, aircon compressor duty cycle, and it also reduces the threshold for where the ICE will kick in for heating. Not sure if it's the same on all Toyotas though.

I leave Eco on most the time and it works fine for me, and I don't have problems with windows fogging up when aircon is on (as long as recirc is off). I do find with motorway driving when it's very cold (below 5) I usually have to turn up the temperature a bit (maybe 22-23).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

45k on a new car and we can't put the heat on!! The cost difference in fuel will be virtually nothing. Heat away!!!! (but if optomisation works then great but don't feel you have to.)

I never said anything about not having the heat on :)

Setting the climate control to 19 degrees doesn't take into account I have the heated seat on the highest setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

55mpg is good

55mpg is good
    Is that the rated mpg?
    It's not achievable in the real world anyway.

New hybrids do 65-70mpg in the real world.

US EPA figure is 55 MPG (imperial) or 5.1 l/100km, those usually are achievable in the real world.

5 users on SpritMonitor are averaging 6.22 l/100km: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/433-Camry.html?constyear_s=2019&power_s=217&powerunit=2

US EPA figure is 55 MPG (imperial) or 5.1 l/100km, those usually are achievable in the real world.

5 users on SpritMonitor are averaging 6.22 l/100km: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/433-Camry.html?constyear_s=2019&power_s=217&powerunit=2
    So, real world 45 mpg imperial. Same as our 08 mk2 prius.

Modern hybrids (new prius, new Ioniq) get well above 60 in the real world.

The Camry is a modern hybrid, but it's a bigger car than either the Prius or Ioniq which were both designed to be lightweight efficient cars. Not sure what point you're trying to make - it was an all-new model in 2017, and also the A25A-FKS engine was a brand new design. But: More mass, and a hell of a lot nicer place to be in than a Gen 2 Prius :P

I'm not going to jump to conclusions based on data of five users for a car that's been out less than a year. I know another Irish owner who was getting similar figures to 3rdDegree in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Is that the rated mpg?

Most cars including hybrids get 70% of the quoted mpg on average. Most real world is 45 to 65 and would be highly dependant on the journey type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Is that the rated mpg?

I drive a hybrid and 55 is respectable,I average 60 mpg

Advertisement