Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy gadgets when you're camping

Options
  • 05-08-2014 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

Picked this up in Tesco a while back. The sound quality is good. I think it was €29.

Nice to have a few tunes when you're out and about. You can play the radio or spotify or whatever from your phone, or use your iPod, etc.

There are a few negative reviews on Amazon, but they seem to be associated with a different bluetooth product. This one doesn't use bluetooth. It's wired; 3.5mm jack stowed on the underside of the speaker.

It has a rechargeable battery. That is probably a good thing if you have a charger or some means of recharging it.

What other gadgets do people bring with them?

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I try not to bring gadgets per se - I find that people rely more and more upon them, instead of learning basic survival methods and camping skills.

I suppose if I have one concession, it's that I always, ALWAYS carry a decent fully tanged knife with me, and a firesteel with me when camping. Matches get wet, lighters stop working or break completely, and other methods aren't always reliable, particularly if you are already wet or cold. Well worth carrying for those reasons IMHO

post-3729-14034768808.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

I always bring my phone which has two back up batteries (s3mini)..and my gopro 3+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I always bring my phone but its either off or data is turned off. Gadgets are always non-powered apart from my head torch. Firesteel as above, my leatherman wave, trangia and meths, map of area, compass, 10ft rope - my paracord bracelet but also have a paracord belt holding up my trousers which has 100ft for extreme emergencies (but mainly because it looks cool :D ). Anything else is optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

Gadget wise I bring my:

Old I-pod (don't mind if it breaks)
    Cheap neckband type headphones (they fit under a hat),
    Head torch (Petzl)
    Emergency matches in zip bag ,
    2 lighters for normal use ,
    Phone (Battery lasts a couple of weeks and stays off unless emergency),
    Camera and spare battery,
    Spare battery's in zip bag
    I also bring a spare tac-torch but that doesn't get used unless the Petzl craps out(never really).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Like the op I like to bring an open speaker with me. Currently I'm bringing one of those Pringles ones that fit on the top of can. The sound is just alright but the can does be great for putting things in you don't want to get crushed in your pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

For me I don't bring electronics apart from a phone for emergencies. I keep it in flight mode. I bring a couple of compasses, a couple of headtorches and a stove, nothing more technical than them!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

For longer camps, can anyone recommend a solar charger? I've heard that they don't charge as much as you'd think, even with decent weather.
    TIA,
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tec Diver wrote: »
    For longer camps, can anyone recommend a solar charger? I've heard that they don't charge as much as you'd think, even with decent weather.
    TIA,
    Eoin

Given its Ireland, I'd do with backup rechargeable units, ~30euro will get you an X4 mobile charge , get 2 and you would have more than enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tec Diver wrote: »
    TIA,
    Eoin

I've heard good things about this one but generally I get by with a battery bank, If I was away for several days I might consider getting one of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerPort-2-Port-Charger-iPhone/dp/B012VL20GW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=6GTDQO7RLO1Q&keywords=anker+solar+charger&qid=1580322025&sprefix=anker+solar%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-5

617yHEfEzkL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

A phone, Kindle, and a small powerbank. Sometimes a camera. Are binoculars a a gadget? My main priority is to keep pack weight as low as possible. Having said that have been tempted lately to get a small drone, would get some good views of the mountains with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hand-lens. Tiny and powerful. For looking at plants, mosses, spores, rocks, insects.
    Can also be used for starting a fire, so they say.
    I never, ever venture out without a hand-lens and a good knife.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sit mat; weighs nothing, takes up very little space and keeps your arse warm and knees dry.

Google maps in satellite mode on your phone is great for finding that mysterious clearing in the middle of a dense forest.

Advertisement