Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail 100% fare increase on GCD -> Newbridge services!?

Options
  • 14-12-2018 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭

I have been a frequent user of the PPT service from GCD to Newbridge since it’s inception a couple of years ago. I don’t use it every day and would purchase a ticket in the train station - usually a single - when I did.

During the last two years the fares between ParkWest and the City Centre were stable at €2.30 for a single and €3.95 a return. Imagine my surprise this morning to see the fares set at €4.40 a single and €8.80 a return. Wtf?! How is that justified?!

Was this announced somewhere? There were certainly no signs at Pearse / Parkwest heralding this massive increase. Any insight appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There aren't 4.40/8.80 return fares in the fare determination as far as I can see - was this cash or leap? Or did you forgot to tag out / not see the credit return?

The old fares don't match any on the tables either as it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

L1011 wrote: »
    There aren't 4.40/8.80 return fares in the fare determination as far as I can see - was this cash or leap? Or did you forgot to tag out / not see the credit return?

The old fares don't match any on the tables either as it happens

Cash, at the ticket machines. Pearse to Parkwest.

Could previously be purchased for €2.30 single / €3.95 return

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a 17% increase in zone 2 fares and some re-zoning but I can't find either the old or new fares on the tables, which must not be complete.

Would you not use a Leap card? It'll pay for itself within a few trips

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Heuston Parkwest & Cherry Orchard OD pair was moved to zone 2

Zone 2 is 2.70
    Extra for tunnel, 1.70
    4.40 single

Return
    Zone 2 is 4.80
    Extra for tunnel, 3.40
    8.20 return

Zone 2 is 2.70
    Extra for tunnel, 1.70
    4.40 single

Return
    Zone 2 is 4.80
    Extra for tunnel, 3.40
    8.20 return

Where was this announced? Leaving aside the technical element of 'rezoning' it's a bloody 100% increase on the exact same trip in one go!
    L1011 wrote: »
    There was a 17% increase in zone 2 fares and some re-zoning but I can't find either the old or new fares on the tables, which must not be complete.

Would you not use a Leap card? It'll pay for itself within a few trips

I have an annual bus and luas ticket loaded to my leap card, so I was happy to pay cash for the couple of times I used the service a week. This new price is uneconomical relative to my other options, but that's a purely personal perspective.

• Advertisement

You can still use epurse on a taxsaver ticket for other modes.

The fare determination was a few weeks ago and was publicised. Fares within the short hop zone are being merged towards a flat multi mode fare over a few years so there were some significant increases and decreases

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's odd alright, can't seem to lookup the journey on their website to get the fare. Have you been into them about it to clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Zone 2 is 2.70
    Extra for tunnel, 1.70
    4.40 single

Return
    Zone 2 is 4.80
    Extra for tunnel, 3.40
    8.20 return

I can't be of help to the OP, but the underlined bit seems a bit mad.
    From memory this was a really cheap re-opening, something around €10M was quoted for re-signalling and clearing the banks. It was a no-brainer as it opened up a key new artery.
    I don't really see why commuters should have to pay what amounts to a 'toll' for using it. It's not like it's the Dublin Port tunnel or the M50, the bloody thing was already built 130 years ago and is a few hundred metres long.

No reason why Pearse to Park West shouldn't be the same price as equivalent journeys on other Dublin commuter lines - I'm guessing Pearse to Clonsilla, Dun Laoighre or Howth would be rough equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Zone 2 is 2.70
    Extra for tunnel, 1.70
    4.40 single

Return
    Zone 2 is 4.80
    Extra for tunnel, 3.40
    8.20 return

Those from NTA?

I think it should be about 6.50 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

railusers.ie seem to think it's 3.30 single, 6.25 return:

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2019.php?station_from=PERSE&station_to=CHORC&stage1=Submit

pretty poor that Irish Rail's fare calculator can't show the fare, the note on the page still says that you have to get the Luas to get from the Kildare line to Connolly.

• Advertisement

This is ridiculous

Advertisement