Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delivery driver sues pub for defamation after barman said €10 note was fake.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Well, it's very sad for the pub as the high court has upheld this idiotic award.
    I applaud the pub for trying to go against the madness. But the courts have upheld their role as money fountains for idiots.
    Sadly this hands more power to scrotes and shambags. They can go around stealing, robbing, handing out fake money, but no one can touch them, detain them and now you can't even say anything to them.
    Having said that, I'm not saying Mr Nolan is any kind of criminal, he is merely an opportunist who smelled money, but it still sets a precedent. Unfortunately by trying to fight it, the pub managed to have it set in stone.
    Next time I visit Ireland I'll print my own money.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/delivery-driver-awarded-5000-after-barman-said-10-note-he-used-to-pay-for-pint-was-fake-36989852.html

The only remotely surprising thing in this is that another Mr. Nolan wasn't involved.

Last week RTE aired an excellent report on the utter disgrace of the way our circuit courts operate. The levels of incompetence, corruption and blatant injustice they preside over is a national scandal that like so many others is ignored and trivialised by everyone involved in the system as well as the usual civil service and political "leaders".

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/rte-investigates-30003696/10896149/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

The worse thing for the pub is now if he enters the pub they have serve him or else they'll get another day in court.

Justice system in this country is a farce. Seriously wonder are judges just bored and awarding out ridiculous awards for the laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A lot of bluster on this thread and people mostly annoyed at a compensation culture and then taking it out on this chap.

It's quite clear that this man was poorly treated and that the barman did his level best to fib his way out of it.

The court made the correct decision. Some points worth noting:
    16. Mr. Bond gave evidence of the plaintiff entering and approaching the counter. Mr. Nolan ordered an alcoholic drink. Mr. Bond poured the drink and brought it to Mr. Nolan, who tendered the €10 note. He took possession of the note, turned around and took it to the till which was directly behind him. He did not think the €10 note felt right; it felt too heavy. When he had his back turned to Mr. Nolan, he examined the note by tearing it.

19. At this stage of his evidence, Mr. Bond introduced a new aspect – that the plaintiff started “getting on about watching your back”. This part of the exchange occurred before Mr. Nolan went to the garda station. On further questioning, however, Mr. Bond was not 100% sure that the words “watch your back” were used but he took whatever was said as a threat. This is why he also told Mr. Nolan that he, Mr. Bond, should have contacted the gardaí.

20. Approximately five minutes later, Mr. Nolan returned to the counter and approached Mr. Bond. Mr. Bond stated that he was not at precisely the same position at the bar as he had been earlier. He accepted that Mr. Nolan informed him that a garda had said that the note was legal tender to which Mr. Bond responded that he should “bring the garda over and that if he says that it is OK or gave him clearance I would accept it”. Again, he denied that this was said in a loud manner. It was suggested to him that he should have had no difficulty in telephoning the gardaí. He replied that he did not know why he had not contacted them. Earlier in his evidence he stated that he did not think that this step was necessary.

21. Mr. Bond confirmed that he had received neither training in relation to the identification of counterfeit tender, nor instruction as to how to deal with concerns relating thereto. While confirming that it was his habit to tear notes, in his earlier evidence he confirmed that this was the first occasion on which he had to deal with an incident such as this.

44. Despite being challenged under cross-examination where his credibility was seriously questioned to the extent that one can only conclude that he was being accused of falsifying evidence about his attendance at the garda station, Mr. Nolan maintained a calm demeanour and was, in the Court’s view, more convincing and far surer of the exchange than Mr. Bond.

45. A feature of the interaction between Mr. Bond and Mr. Nolan is that on Mr. Bond’s own account, he was being presented with a counterfeit note and he was satisfied that it was not authentic. The exchange became somewhat heated, according to Mr. Bond, and Mr. Nolan expressed words about “his back” or “watching his back”. While he may not have taken it as a serious threat, according to Mr. Bond the words were potentially threatening; yet no attempt was made by him, nor did he deem it necessary, to telephone the gardaí. Mr. Nolan informed him that he was going to go to the gardaí. The premises were relatively quiet, Mr. Bond had access to a telephone and on Mr. Bond’s own evidence, the plaintiff was effectively inviting such contact.

47. The Court must take cognisance of the fact that the two gardaí who were stated to be the only two on station duty on the evening, in a busy garda station, were not contacted about this matter for at least two years after its occurrence. The evidence of the gardaí, albeit given in a bona fide manner, was based on requests for their recollection at a very considerable remove from the date of the incident, and must be viewed in that light with the attendant frailties brought by the passage of time.

48. The immediate and continued actions and reactions of the parties on the night to what was said and done, in my view, are more consistent with the plaintiff’s description of the manner in which the exchange occurred, rather than the defendant’s recall of a more discreet discussion. There is also the reference in Sergeant Rothery’s report to the apparent knowledge of Mr. Nolan of the existence of a device in the station, which also appears more consistent with the plaintiff’s stated actions on the night. While I cannot be certain of the plaintiff’s attendance at the garda station, any uncertainty which I may have about this aspect of the case does not dissuade me from the conclusion regarding what, on balance, I accept as more likely to have occurred at the bar counter.

49. In light of the above, having had the opportunity to assess the demeanour of the witnesses, on the balance of probabilities, I accept the plaintiff’s description of what occurred as being more probable.

50. I find as a fact on the basis of the evidence of both witnesses that there were at least four persons at the bar, in close proximity to where the exchange between the parties took place. Having found in favour of the plaintiff’s description that the words in question were spoken in a loud manner and that the note was held aloft, I am satisfied that those at the bar could not but have heard and witnessed the exchange as described by the plaintiff. Nevertheless, publication was to a limited number of people.

52. Having considered the evidence of the parties, I am satisfied that the plaintiff has established that the words, spoken in the manner alleged and in the context of the actions and gestures of Mr. Bond, were likely to have been heard and seen by members of the public who were seated nearby at the bar counter. I am also satisfied that the publication was excessive in the circumstances. Mr. Bond had the €10 in his hand. It was open to him to either report the matter to An Garda Síochána or to approach the plaintiff in a less public way. It appears to me that this was not a heat of the moment situation as might arise where a person thought to be shoplifter or thief makes a seeming escape, and where another makes a statement in response to the exigencies of the situation and the requirement for immediate action. In a number of the cases opened to the Court and referred to below, the defendant had much less control of the situation. Here there was no question of an apparent attempt to escape or to bid a hasty retreat. In fact the plaintiff remained in the area and wished to discuss or correct the impression that he had attempted to pass a false €10 note.

117. Ultimately this case turns on the manner of the publication and its excessiveness. It is inevitable that in certain circumstances, the taxing of persons with theft, implied or express, or fraud like activity, will be overheard by others, particularly when the charge is made in a public place. The law makes allowances for this. It will always be a matter of reasonableness and degree as to whether the line has been overstepped in determining whether the publication is excessive such as may destroy any privilege that might otherwise exist. To this end the Court repeats the caution expressed by Hardiman J. against requiring a defendant to exercise fine judgment or to employ a considered selection of words in situations that arise quickly and without notice. Nevertheless, on the facts of this case as so found, the defence of qualified privilege has not been established. Even without attempting to reconcile McCormack and McNamara, any privilege that may have applied, in my view, is negatived by unreasonable and excessive publication.

118. While I accept that excessive publication took place it appears to me that any publication was to a limited number of people and I am satisfied that the Circuit Court judge’s assessment of damages in the sum of €5,000 is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That judgement seems to take for granted that the barman was accusing Nolan of consciously trying to pass a false note. Was there any consideration given to the possibility that they weren't accusing them of being aware? Saying "this note is fake" doesn't say anything about the motivations of the person handing it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I thought that the receiver (pub) in this case was supposed to issue a receipt of some sort and pass the money to the Gardai to confirm the note was genuine or not.

I previously worked in a very high cash flow business and those were our instructions.

So the high court in this case supported the returning of possible fake notes to recirculate. Unreal.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Was there any consideration given to the possibility that they weren't accusing them of being aware?

Yes:
    62. It is submitted on behalf of the defendant that it was repeatedly made clear that it was not being suggested by Mr. Bond that the plaintiff had knowingly tendered a false note; that the enquiry from Mr. Bond as to where the plaintiff had obtained a note was motivated by concern rather than being accusatory. I am not satisfied that such stated concern has been established on the evidence. Even if it had been, as Keane J. observed in Murphy v. Times Newspapers Limited [2000] 1 I.R. 522 at p. 529:-
    “It has for long been the law that the intention of the publisher of the statement is irrelevant in considering whether it is defamatory. Any uncertainty as to this being the law was dispelled by the leading case of E. Hulton and Co. v. Jones [1910] A.C. 20, where Lord Loreborn L.C. said at p. 23:-

‘A person charged with libel cannot defend himself by shewing that he intended in his own breast not to defame, or that he intended not to defame the plaintiff, if in fact he did both. He has none the less imputed something disgraceful and has none the less injured the plaintiff. A man in good faith may publish a libel believing it to be true, and it may be found by the jury that he acted in good faith believing it to be true, and reasonably believing it to be true, but that in fact the statement was false. Under those circumstances he has no defence to the action, however excellent his intention. If the intention of the writer be immaterial in considering whether the matter written is defamatory, I do not see why it need be relevant in considering whether it is defamatory of the plaintiff … Just as the defendant could not excuse himself from malice by proving that he wrote it in the most benevolent spirit, so he cannot shew that the libel was not of and concerning the plaintiff by proving that he never heard of the plaintiff.’

Yes:
    Cheers. Still makes no sense to me. To me that reads as of they're saying that stating "this note is fake" is automatically libellous. Bizarre conclusion IMO, when it says nothing about the intentions of the person handing it over. If I'd overheard that conversation my first thought wouldn't be that they'd intentionally done it, they'd just been misfortune enough to pick one up somewhere, that or the barman was wrong.

To me that reads as of they're saying that stating "this note is fake" is automatically libellous.

That's clearly not what the court is saying:
    49. In light of the above, having had the opportunity to assess the demeanour of the witnesses, on the balance of probabilities, I accept the plaintiff’s description of what occurred as being more probable.

50. Having found in favour of the plaintiff’s description that the words in question were spoken in a loud manner and that the note was held aloft, I am satisfied that those at the bar could not but have heard and witnessed the exchange as described by the plaintiff.

52. Having considered the evidence of the parties, I am satisfied that the plaintiff has established that the words, spoken in the manner alleged and in the context of the actions and gestures of Mr. Bond, were likely to have been heard and seen by members of the public who were seated nearby at the bar counter. I am also satisfied that the publication was excessive in the circumstances.

60. Having come to the conclusion that the plaintiff’s version of events is to be preferred over that of the defendant, it follows that the words are capable of having the inferences as pleaded and therefore are capable of being defamatory. In the circumstances, bearing in mind the entire transaction between the parties, I am satisfied that the words were defamatory of the plaintif

And so it's not the court's position that merely saying a note is fake is defamatory, but that the manner in which it is can be.

That's clearly not what the court is saying:

And so it's not the court's position that merely saying a note is fake is defamatory, but that the manner in which it is can be.
    I'm not really seeing the distinction but I don't have as much experience as you reading these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not really seeing the distinction but I don't have as much experience as you reading these things.

If you whispered to the customer that you think the note might be fake, then that probably wouldn't be defamatory.

If you shout at the top of your voice waving the note around that "this note is fake, you knowingly gave me a fake note", then that would more than likely be viewed as defamatory.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you whispered to the customer that you think the note might be fake, then that probably wouldn't be defamatory.

If you shout at the top of your voice waving the note around that "this note is fake, you knowingly gave me a fake note", then that would more than likely be viewed as defamatory.
    I agree, but the bolded bit didn't happen. The barman even asked "where did you get that" implying they thought the customer got it somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I agree, but the bolded bit didn't happen. The barman even asked "where did you get that" implying they thought the customer got it somewhere else.

Ah yeah, I only used that example to make a point.

But my point stands, whispering discretely is a lot different to talking loudly in front of other customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I find the whole thing ridiculous. The amount of money that will have been wasted on this in court time is astronomical. Basically a guy tries to buy a pint and the barman refuses because he thinks the note is fake. I can't believe he is getting €5,000 grand out of it. Even if every person in the bar heard the conversation, what damaging repercussions is this going to have on his life? Did everyone think he was a filthy fraudster and start spreading rumours about him which affected his job? No. He didn't get his pint and he was p!ssed off. In the bigger scheme of things it's not a big deal.

Advertisement