Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit for 3 days?

Options
  • 11-12-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was on sick leave from Tuesday 13th of November until Wednesday 28th of November (back to work Thursday).

I handed in my certs to the welfare office on Wednesday 21st and received a payment of EUR 198 on Friday, so it went very quickly.

The following week I handed in my final sick cert to the office on Tuesday 27th of November, covering Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

To this day I still haven't received any payment. Are they not paying unless it's a full week?

I sent them an email last week but heard nothing back yet, can't get through to them on the phone, and I can't get to the office during the day as I am at work.

If anyone knows if I should be getting anything at all for half week, can you please let me know so I can figure something out to follow up on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

illness ben do not pay you for the first 6 days of illness, so this wouldbe the 13,14,1516,19,20th of november, so you were only due illness ben for 5 working days which is what you recieved

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

wifey28 wrote: »
    illness ben do not pay you for the first 6 days of illness, so this wouldbe the 13,14,1516,19,20th of november, so you were only due illness ben for 5 working days which is what you recieved

It actually looked like I'll be going back to work on Monday 26th, so up until that day I was paid 198 for the previous week.

But then I needed to stay home for another three days, so they should be paying me for the half week, shouldn't they?

The first six days have really nothing to with this, this is about giving me something for the 2/3 days (depending where they count it from) after the week they already paid me for.

Sorry if I sound rude, I'm reading it after myself and it sounds rude. I promise it's not intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

illness ben only pay for monday to friday, they dont pay for weekends
    they also dont pay for the first 6 days of the claim which were the 13/14/15/16/19/20 th of november
    You were paid an entire weeks worth of IB, which was for the 21/22/23/26/27 and you state you returned to work on the 28th
    So IB dont owe you anything, you got paid for the 5 weekdays you were out of work after discounting the first 6 week days they dont pay you for

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

wifey28 wrote: »
    illness ben only pay for monday to friday, they dont pay for weekends
    they also dont pay for the first 6 days of the claim which were the 13/14/15/16/19/20 th of november
    You were paid an entire weeks worth of IB, which was for the 21/22/23/26/27 and you state you returned to work on the 28th
    So IB dont owe you anything, you got paid for the 5 weekdays you were out of work after discounting the first 6 week days they dont pay you for

Oh. I was under the impression that Saturday is counted as one of the six days, as per Citizens Information:
    No payment is made for the first 6 days of illness, which are known as waiting days. (Note that Sunday is not counted as a waiting day.)

So I thought that 13/14/15/16/17/19 would be waiting days, I got paid for 20/21/22/23/24/26, and they still should be sending me something for 27/28. I only went back to work on the 29th.

So even if Saturday is not counted and I got paid up until 27th, shouldn't they be sending me something for the 28th?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes you are 100% correct, you would be due two more days as you have counted out above.

Tuesday 13th to Monday 19th are waiting days.
    Payment for 20th to Monday 26th €198 (6 days)

You are owed the 27th and 28th as long as your certs are correct.

Did you submit a first and final cert initially.
    I mean did you have a return date on your application form?

• Advertisement
Advertisement