Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every single thread ending in what about the straight white male?

• 13-02-2018 5:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Anyone else sick to death of every single thread ending in what about the straight white male.

The most random of subjects end up being about how victimised straight white males are.

I for one am bored to death of hearing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What a wonderful level of irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Yes indeed, what about the straight white male...with children!.... Does nobody ever think of us?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Stop victimising me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭lorcand1990

Won't somebody please think of the straight white male!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pilly wrote: »
    Anyone else sick to death of every single thread ending in what about the straight white male.

The most random of subjects end up being about how victimised straight white males are.

As a CIS Gendered White Male, you do not speak for me.

Check your privilege, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Apparently white men are under attack. Everyday i have to dodge and weave to avoid the militant feminists that are trying to cut off my knob.

I'm sooooo oppressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Good thing you went and started a thread on it then, that'll surely solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just black yourself up a bit and put on a dress OP. Everyone's doing it ya be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

In my experience its the people who are victimised the least that have the freedom and tools to make the most noise about their perceived slights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Grayson wrote: »
    Apparently white men are under attack. Everyday i have to dodge and weave to avoid the militant feminists that are trying to cut off my knob.

I'm sooooo oppressed.

Since when did you have a knob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

frabz-one-does-not-simply-oh-whatever-its-not-worth-it-dc42d9.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Noveight wrote: »
    Good thing you went and started a thread on it then, that'll surely solve it.

Well it's about time someone said it out, we just don't FCUKING CARE.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What a wonderful level of irony.

Explain the irony to me? Or maybe mansplain it?

We? What or who are you speaking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Can't say I've noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Likewise, I'm fed up hearing about every other "poor me" group who keeps on bitching and moaning.

It isnt restricted to men either

We? What or who are you speaking for?

Myself and every sane person I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Imagine if you took all the inventions and innovations of the straight white male away from the world.

Wonder what that would look like.

Likewise, I'm fed up hearing about every other "poor me" group who keeps on bitching and moaning.

It isnt restricted to men either

True enough but the fact that the thread could start by someone moaning about a cat that **** on their doorstep this morning and end in "what about the straight white male" is just going too far.

Whataboutery at it's finest.

No one who matters so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

As 6'6 280lb gay black male, I personally adore straight white males. The straighter and whiter the better.

Imagine if you took all the inventions and innovations of the straight white male away from the world.

How is that relevant to the current day moaning whinging male?

We invented everything so we should be able to cry all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

We’d still have the modern computer- thanks Mr Turing!

No one who matters so.

So you don't have a single clue about me, my family or my friends and yet you can decide that we don't matter because you're upset at being called a whinger?

What's all this? I think it may be unique to the very interesting microcosm that is boards.ie because its certainly not something I've noticed in the real world.

What's all this? I think it may be unique to the very interesting microcosm that is boards.ie because its certainly not something I've noticed in the real world.

You're a woman... out!!!
    This is our "safespace"

:D

You're a woman... out!!!
    This is our "safespace"

:D

Ah let me join in! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well, only someone as privileged as you would say that.

So you don't have a single clue about me, my family or my friends and yet you can decide that we don't matter because you're upset at being called a whinger?

I wouldn't put myself into any group really apart from maybe a human male so your not exactly upsetting me here....

You and all rest your family friends whatever mean nothing to me so ya far as Im concerned you don't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Ah let me join in! :D

Seconded!

Well, only someone as privileged as you would say that.

Don't even know if that's sarcasm or not? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Back in my day we were sad people, admittedly.

We copied cassette tapes, wore ex-army parkas, and went to the pub for sessions.

But we were never as sad as what is going on now. There was no concern for who was or wasn't straight or white or male for that matter.

So glad my youth wasn't eclipsed by internet nonsense imported from college campuses over the pond and worrying about what people did or didn't type about me online.

I don't envy ye folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,308 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's a secret signal to the mods to close the thread. Didn't you read that in Feedback?

It's the internet in general. Identity politics has utterly pervaded discussion forums and social media because various news outlets have realise that it constitutes amazing ad-revenue generating clickbait potential. Hence, the media spends hours upon hours generating inflammatory headlines which are deliberately designed to piss men off (essentially, displaying the kind of bigotry which they know wouldn't be tolerated by the Twitterati if it was aimed at women) and using that to play people off eachother - all the while, people involved in the arguments end up reading the articles which spawned them.

That's not the only reason for this, but it's definitely one of them. I think part of it is also the rise of Anita Sarkeesian and the "cultural authoritarians" circa 2011 / 2012, which is when the whole idea that the internet shouldn't be a lawless wild west and that there should be actual rules around what people can and cannot publish in either fictional art or real-life commentary was introduced and a firm battle erupted between old-skool "internet is not serious business" types and younger "the internet is tied to real life and as such should be regulated and policed" types. That's fundamentally what Gamergate was actually about - it wasn't about feminism, it wasn't about journalism, it wasn't about any of the stuff people claimed it was about. It was about on one hand, cultural authoritarians like Sarkeesian saying "hey, people should observe some standards of decency when creating art" and cultural libertarians like Redditors and 4channers saying "f*ck off, there should be no rules or limitations on speech whatsoever". Terms such as "cultural appropriation", "privilege", "trigger warning" etc ultimately stemmed from this - the battle between "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" and "the kitchen should be a more welcoming environment for people who can't stand the heat".

Essentially, the cultural upheavals of the 2000s related to technology created the perfect powder keg for an all out culture war. It was inevitable, and if it hadn't started because of Sarkeesian and Gamergate, it would have started because of something else sooner rather than later.

Don't even know if that's sarcasm or not? :confused:

Typical, sheltered from the rough and tumble of life. So many SWM's can lead such a wasted life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Basically our lives are too easy.

No job? Free money.

Homeless? Free hotel room.

Junkie? Free methadone.

My life could go to utter **** tomorrow and the state would pretty much pick up the tab until the day I die. It's nice to have a safety net but it takes away our need to survive by our own wits.

We turn this energy into aggression against the systems and society which are the very things which allow us to enjoy enormous personal freedoms in huge comfort.

Typical, sheltered from the rough and tumble of life. So many SWM's can lead such a wasted life.

I presume that SWM is single white male? Or straight white male?

If it is then I'm not either of them so I'm missing your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

That reminds me "What have the Romans ever done for us:rolleyes:"
    Won't somebody please think of the straight white male!

Don't forget the caucasians :p

So, you're complaining about a group that you don't belong to. Well, that's original*

*Yes, that's sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's a secret signal to the mods to close the thread. Didn't you read that in Feedback?

Mod: Thread closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Explain the irony to me? Or maybe mansplain it?

Did you just assume my gender?

Ah here, everyone knows that Sonic the Hedgehog identifies as an Apache Attack Helicopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

See what a lot of people forget is that the vast majority are content and ambling along just fine, going to work, cooking, shopping, fiddling around on the computer or watching Netflix having sex, going for a run or walk chatting having a coffee and hundreds of other mundane but enjoyable things that make up life.

They are not angst-ridden malcontents blaming the world for everything, Its the internet it has a life of its own which does not always reflect reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Welcome to the internet in 2018.
    the battle between "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" and "the kitchen should be a more welcoming environment for people who can't stand the heat".
    Or maybe mansplain it?

Some of the above is probably in jest, sarcasm but we really have no comprehension of the pointlessness of that which we choose to get riled up about in this day and age.

Some genius anthropologist could do a Phd on humans need for conflict as a driving force in our existence and being but their work would be rejected because their abstract opened with "Ever since the dawn of man".

Perhaps a DMC ?

They are confused.

Put simply, men in general, AKA straight white males don’t give two fecks what the internet and its armies of SJ-wankstains think.

It’s just moany little bitches who react to people like this and the pointless horse**** they peddle. Gender, colour and sexuality has litte to do with it.

Real men (yes, they are indeed the majority of men) laugh or just roll their eyes at all of this rubbish and get on with life.

Bitches be bitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Mansplaining" you also mentioned previously so this is doubtful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Ah here, everyone knows that Sonic the Hedgehog identifies as an Apache Attack Helicopter.

I thought that was Tails?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No YOU don’t care. There’s no “we”.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

As a woman, you've become so accustomed to privilege that the white male fight for equality feels like oppression

• Advertisement
Advertisement