Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are The Irish Underestimated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I've met Irish people here and there that speak everything from fluent Arabic to Japanese, people at the top of their industry / field.

Irish people are no dopes, despite our national self-image; inculcated by the British it has to be said, who in times gone by - and often still - like to imagine us as spud-eating simpletons.

In fact, British expatriates are often the most insufferable (I actually don't mind Americans, they actually display more cultural sensitivity abroad than they're given credit for), imagining themselves at the top of the food chain longing for the days of the Raj and the Great Game; playing a gents game of cricket surrounded by coolies and servants. Sometimes they appear to think the most important thing about themselves is that they are British / English in a foreign country, and that it's a substitute for a personality.

That's my anti-British rant for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I think we underestimate ourselves. That same cultural view that gives us a sarcastic sense of humour also leads us to be self deprecating.
    You can see the people who couldn’t catch a break in Ireland and had to move abroad to be recognised for their talent or ability to become successful. So, yes we are underestimated, but no more so than by ourselves.

BTW that taxi driver just seemed ignorant, and it’s a common trait I’ve seen among foreigners, who are begrudgingly stuck here for work. They think their home country is amazing and Ireland is a **** hole, now not all of them, but a lot I’ve worked with love to run the place into the ground. Perhaps the Irish abroad are the same, I’ve no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Ok

pubs are open.............

but got a lecture home from a Lithuanian bloke, he was so proud of his country , but he had not been there in 8 years.

With 7 pints in me , he was pushing and pushing me - all about how great ****ing Lithuanian was. I know , I know..............I should not bite.

I asked him how he had no protective barrier in cab for covid. He said it was because he knows it makes it worse as they are not cleaned.

I put my mask on - he put his.

But he annoyed me.

I built up the pressure and exploded. I told him, we have education, work ethic
    that can not be matched.
    We lack a central /southern European attitude to work
    We get stuck in and get the job done

But to floor him - and he could not respond - I told him.

The Irish have creativity - if you have that you can solve anything.

He actually got a bit annoyed at that.

ANYWAY - CAN WE POST POSITIVE IRISH STUFF.

Of course we can post about ireland. Massive scenery, 90% of folks ok. 10% are arseholes. Think that sums it up.
    One Question OP if not inebriated would you still have had the same conversation or the same outlook on the conversation. I find when people are intoxicated they love and would be martyred for their country. When there sober they couldn't give a rats arse about the country or their fellow citizens. Funny that.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I've met Irish people here and there that speak everything from fluent Arabic to Japanese, people at the top of their industry / field.

Irish people are no dopes, despite our national self-image; inculcated by the British it has to be said, who in times gone by - and often still - like to imagine us as spud-eating simpletons.

In fact, British expatriates are often the most insufferable (I actually don't mind Americans, they actually display more cultural sensitivity abroad than they're given credit for), imagining themselves at the top of the food chain longing for the days of the Raj and the Great Game; playing a gents game of cricket surrounded by coolies and servants. Sometimes they appear to think the most important thing about themselves is that they are British / English in a foreign country, and that it's a substitute for a personality.

That's my anti-British rant for the day

That's not enough anti-Brit for me.

I'll have to find my sustenance elsewhere.

Good day, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The weather is crap.

The country is only wealthy because it is a tax haven. Could end at anytime.

Every generation or so the young people realise the state of the place and leave in their droves .

Do we eeven need to mention housing and healthcare.

Positives:

Ryanair are flying again

I hate this anti Ireland crap.

I've lived abroad and happy to be back.

Weather is not a big factor for me.

What do I like, attitude to life of Irish people, Irish food which has improved greatly over the years, a real Irish pub, good Guinness, the craic, love of sports here, fantastic scenery, clean air.

But it's mostly down to people, having lived in Holland for years, I saw how dull they are (despite their underserved "great craic" reputation, who just sit in each other's houses talking about their holidays, serious, crowded etc. Just wasn't for me and I realised that Ireland has some special things despite all its detractors.

Also, the tax haven comment is just rubbish as well, more to the economy than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ireland and the Irish are great.

But having gotten to know a few more Eastern Europeans as a result of work the last few years whilst, yes, they are more serious and dour than us, many of them have a great sense of humour; don't let their sour disposition fool you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

murpho999 wrote: »
    I hate this anti Ireland crap.

I've lived abroad and happy to be back.

Weather is not a big factor for me.

What do I like, attitude to life of Irish people, Irish food which has improved greatly over the years, a real Irish pub, good Guinness, the craic, love of sports here, fantastic scenery, clean air.

But it's mostly down to people, having lived in Holland for years, I saw how dull they are (despite their underserved "great craic" reputation, who just sit in each other's houses talking about their holidays, serious, crowded etc. Just wasn't for me and I realised that Ireland has some special things despite all its detractors.

Also, the tax haven comment is just rubbish as well, more to the economy than that.

So you agree the weather is crap but you don't mind. Not everyone feels the same. The weather is crap.

Pre multinational investment Ireland was known as the poor man of Europe. We make nothing here. Tax haven is the only cause of our wealth.

Seems like your love of Ireland is based solely around the pub, pints craic and pub grub.

Theres a big difference between realism and fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

We're not the worst country, but we're far from being the best. Our impression of ourselves is misty eyed.

We allow our elected government squander our taxes
    We tolerate an inefficient health service, which denies basic care in a lot of cases
    We still allow an abusive church reign over society
    We'll rob the eye out of our fellow citizens at every opportunity
    Once we're alright, feck everyone else
    Cute hoorism is a national sport

In our favour, the physical country is magnificent
    We are a friendly people
    We are becoming more tolerant
    We are fairly family centric.
    Guinness
    Out climate has no extremes.
    We produce magnificent food
    We are well educated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Yurt! wrote: »

In fact, British expatriates are often the most insufferable (I actually don't mind Americans,

After spending 15 years working abroad, my experience is that any UK person who refers to them selves as an 'ex-pat' is to be avoided. Usually totally insufferable, spend most of their time rattling on about how great the UK is.

And they're not 'ex-pats', they're immigrants. Tell them that, it winds them up no end.

screamer wrote: »

BTW that taxi driver just seemed ignorant, and it’s a common trait I’ve seen among foreigners, who are begrudgingly stuck here for work. They think their home country is amazing and Ireland is a **** hole, now not all of them, but a lot I’ve worked with love to run the place into the ground. Perhaps the Irish abroad are the same, I’ve no idea.

Certain people when they're living abroad are like that, usually a pain in the backside long term. I can see the advantages and disadvantages and the good and bad in each country and the same with Ireland. It's about striking a balance. If I like a place then I'll stay there, if not I won't.

I was offered work in Saudi Arabia and Dubai a few times, but I'd never live there. The whole kerfuffle about not being able to walk into a pub off a street for a few pints would do my head in eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

screamer wrote: »
    I think we underestimate ourselves. That same cultural view that gives us a sarcastic sense of humour also leads us to be self deprecating.
    You can see the people who couldn’t catch a break in Ireland and had to move abroad to be recognised for their talent or ability to become successful. So, yes we are underestimated, but no more so than by ourselves.

It's a reflection I have seen in many countries around the world, when you meet someone there who themselves is not a native of that country. A lot, though not all, in low paid work, sometimes at the receiving end of racist attitudes from the locals, having to suffer living in poor housing. Moving to a new country for work comes with it a lot of excitement, the hope you could earn a lot of money and really put yourself on a higher level. The reality for many, is anything but that. Yes, here they can earn more than in their countries of origin, but find the living costs a shock, compared to what they were expecting.

That said, many examples here now of eastern europeans, strong work ethic, putting down roots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Lithuania is in the ar5e end of nowhere. Is it even in the EU? Who knows, who cares. All I know is that some Yankee Doodle Hawks want Irish men and boys fighting and dying there, so that Joe Kremlin is sent packing and shown who's the real tough guys. No thanks. And what's worse is that Brussels is on board with it!

If anyone here can even name a single Lithuanian I'd be floored.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

So you agree the weather is crap but you don't mind. Not everyone feels the same. The weather is crap.

Pre multinational investment Ireland was known as the poor man of Europe. We make nothing here. Tax haven is the only cause of our wealth.

Seems like your love of Ireland is based solely around the pub, pints craic and pub grub.

Agree 100%. No really sure many people actually realise this. Take out FDI and there is a very large hole. Supporting indigenous investment has to be a national priority as well as retaining FDI. It has been what 25 years now for the multinationals? Only those of us well into their 40s know what it was like here before this investment. Anybody younger than that just sees it as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

murpho999 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

If anyone here can even name a single Lithuanian I'd be floored.

Eduardas Rozentalis - chess grandmaster :D

Lithuania is in the ar5e end of nowhere. Is it even in the EU? Who knows, who cares. All I know is that some Yankee Doodle Hawks want Irish men and boys fighting and dying there, so that Joe Kremlin is sent packing and shown who's the real tough guys. No thanks. And what's worse is that Brussels is on board with it!

What does this even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More like self obessessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No I didn't say the weather is crap, I said that it's not a major factor for me.

I've lived in hot countries and it's not nice, and I like how's it's fairly cool here and without extremes. I get that other people don't like it.

So the country was poor (agreed) and is now not anymore due to foreign investment that you claim is only due to being a tax haven. It's a lot more than that but besides that the economy is now strong here so I fail how you can try to turn it into the negative.

Also, I said I liked the pub and good Guinness, they are something that is Irish but it's not everything.

I said I liked food here ( I didn't just mean pubs but restaurants and food you can buy in the shops here is good quality).

Craic refers to the people day to day but you're trying to turn into a drinking issue which is not what I'm talking about at all.

Lots of other things you ignore but of course you would.

I also love the music here and how Irish people appreciate music, believe me that's not always the case in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

In my experience if you stay off the internet the majority of Irish people will joke about it being a ****e country but if you talk about it seriously have a great appreciation of how good we have it.

Having worked in Language teaching for a long time I found the people who tend to complain most about Ireland and Dublin are originally from countries with the most economic problems, some kind of defence mechanism.

As for the taxi driver, I've been to Lithuania and its fukcin grim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

What was your reason for asking him why He hadn’t got a protective partition?did you feel he was flaunting the recommendations? Would your 7 pints on 1hr45m have hindered your reason?

I wish we could be more chilled about being Irish. The whole country seems to have an inferiority complex. If the Brits mispronounce the word Taoiseach, or call him our PM, there's always a self-involved outrage, it's strange. Last week on Twitter, people were going ape at some Yank who is writing a series on Grace O'Malley, just because she didn't want to use the Irish version, Grainne Ni Mhaile, a name that many of us probably haven't even encountered.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your community, but for Jesus sake lets be a little less precious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Last week on Twitter, people were going ape at some Yank who is writing a series on Grace O'Malley, just because she didn't want to use the Irish version, Grainne Ni Mhaile, a name that many of us probably haven't even encountered.

This happened on Twitter you say?

That's mad! Usually the Twits are so level headed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Earthhorse wrote: »
    This happened on Twitter you say?

That's mad! Usually the Twits are so level headed!

Twitter is a chilling glimpse into the tortured darkness of humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

Ok

but got a lecture home from a Lithuanian bloke, he was so proud of his country , but he had not been there in 8 years.

With 7 pints in me , he was pushing and pushing me - all about how great ****ing Lithuanian was. I know , I know..............I should not bite.

I asked him how he had no protective barrier in cab for covid. He said it was because he knows it makes it worse as they are not cleaned.

But he annoyed me.

that can not be matched.

If some foreigner is living here and talking us down, just tell them to fuk off. Too many arrogant foreign bastrds living here. They need to be reminded who is the Master in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Whatever about “underestimated” we Irish are definitely incredibly sensitive to any forms of criticism.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Ok

But he annoyed me.

that can not be matched.

If your irish were a great people, if your from denmark well then there a great people, if your from mali well then malian are a great people, ( notice I our neighbours out). Whatever country you come from is always going to be a great country. The people the scenery, the history etc. Its goverments that force people to emigrate and seek work in other countries. So when you look at other nationalites maybe they're wishing they were back in their own countries instead of having to emigrate far away from their loved ones.

When we look at the amount of emigration that has effect this country over the years. What amazes me when you see third and fourth generation americans calling ireland there ancestral home, it kinda makes sense wherever you are you native country will always be your home and I'd imagine that goes for all nationalities

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

work ethic
    that can not be matched.

Ha. Clearly never had to wait for an Irish tradesman to show up at all, let alone show up on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I often find we are stereotyped as a dumb nation and many actually play up to that stereotype when in fact the opposite is the case. We are smarter than we give ourselves credit for. Also I think we have great networking skills which when matched with a good brain is very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I often find we are stereotyped as a dumb nation and many actually play up to that stereotype when in fact the opposite is the case. We are smarter than we give ourselves credit for. Also I think we have great networking skills which when matched with a good brain is very powerful.

Being Irish overseas is a great thing in itself, get noticed very easily for both the right and wrong reasons. Keep ones nose clean, and you are golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Can you recall a single factoid about Lithuania that he told you?

They used to share a country with Poland.

They were in Ireland's 1998 World Cup qualifying group, finishing 3rd behind us & Romania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Can you recall a single factoid about Lithuania that he told you?

The largest nation in Europe at one time.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement