Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tale of Tullyallen Broadband

Options
  • 29-08-2014 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

So pissed off was I with having speeds of 1.6mb in Tullyallen, Co. Louth that I wrote directly to Mr Herb Hribar of Eircom one Friday afternoon.

Imagine my surprise when the following Monday the Customer Services manager phoned me herself to see what could be done. And so began a long series of exchanges which ended up with the Director of Networks (?), Mr. Johnny Shine administering the bullet.

As some of you may know, only half the village is served by the new exchange in Gleann Alainn. Everyone at the top end of Watery Lane is (unbelievably) served by a copper cable which connects to the Drogheda Exchange some 6km away. As a result Broadband speeds are 1.6mbs max. Absolutely awful.

Anyway, it all comes down to cost. The Gleann Alainn exchange is not fibre enabled. At a meeting in October it may or may not be pencilled in for 'Next Generation' fibre enabled cabinets. However, if it is, it does not mean that the poor bstards at the other end of Tullyallen will be switched over! This is down to cost but also because other networks like Vodafone, UTV etc may have invested in infrastructure on that copper cable from Drogheda so would be unhappy if Eircom simply switched us to a different exchange.

End result is that I would say there is very little chance of getting any type of decent broadband via fibre in most areas of Tullyallen. Digiweb is not an option for most of the village as the houses in Gleann Alainn block line of site to the hospital ariel apparently ..everyone is in 'a dip' according to the Digiweb engineers who were on my roof trying to sort it.

Utter pain in the Garda Patrol.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Unfortunately you are not unique within the county, or country for that matter. Join the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭gipi

I'd love to have bb speed of 1.6 meg!! Best I'm getting is 0.8 / 0.9, in the Dublin Rd area (not fibre enabled)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Many people outside the main towns and cities have crap broadband, but there are other benefits of living in those areas so.. it's up to you really. Move to Dublin and get super fast broadband.
    Slow broadband's not that big of a deal for me. I live in Dundalk but have slow mobile broadband because I'm too cheap to pay eircom line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

You wouldn't be much better off with Digiweb in all honesty. It's reliable but way overpriced for what you get. 30 euro for 3mb (at best).

I feel your frustration though, hope its sorted out soon.

• Advertisement

Possibly some info here?

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

April-June 2015 - Thats probably about right, however, it does not guarantee everyone in the village access to the new fibre enabled exchange.

I'm hoping that the ESB/Vodafone project will come online soon.

1.6mb in a house with about 15 devices, 2 children and netflix everywhere is just undoable. Hellish in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Gonna bump this thread. Did you ever write in the Talk to Eircom forum about this?

All across the country, eircom are changing people from exchange connected lines to cabinet fed lines and enabling VDSL. There shouldn't be anything stopping them from fitting a second cabinet at Gleann Alainn that will house all the Tullyallen lines and only those who want the 24 Mbit speed will be plugged into the Gleann Alainn exchange. That should satisfy the regulatory requirements but presumably the powers that be in eircom haven't copped it yet. A bit of public pressure (politicians and media) might help here.

Also if you see a local engineer, ask if you can get a new phone line fitted and have it redirected to the Glen Alainn cabinet instead of Drogheda. Ask nicely, offer him a nice bottle of wine or a few quid or whatever if necessary. Ask him to ask his boss to see if it can be done as then you will order a new line. Worth a shot?!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Not sure if will help in Tullyallen, however, I'm a wee bit closer to the town in Waterunder,also with Eircom and was getting 1mb at best. Had similar issues, battled though them and now on a healthy, consistent 12mb. Most lines in the area go back to a junction box in Trinity Street. However, my improvement (at least that's what I was told) was by re-provisioning a line at a closer box at the M1 Retail Park. Worth, at least asking, if that might be an option if they won't put a second cabinet in the village. Might not get you 12mb but good chance you'll get up from 1.6mb

Are you on the main road to Tullyallen and Collon? In the case of anyone in the village proper including Lavin park probably, it won't make a difference. I think they will only offer service from the cab if you're within 2 km. I wasn't sure if they did that in Drogheda as it started as a trial but it seems they do going on that.

Sadly for people like some of my family and others just a bit too far out of Drogheda, they aren't using the cabinets to improve speeds at the edge of Drogheda. The cabinet at the edge of the M1 retail park would make a huge difference to Tullyallen if eircom simply enabled longer lines. Going from 1 to 5 Mbps would make a massive difference.

Only political and media pressure will work to embarrass eircom.

• Advertisement

2 fibre cabinets are due for installation in Tullyallen in Spring 2015

One opposite Townley Manor in the lane down to Lavin Park and the other one outside Gleann Alainn. Hopefully this will sort out the stragglers who are currently on the Trinity Street exchange.

I have spoken to the network manager of Eircom and while he thinks I am a total pain in the arse he has promised to give me an honest picture of what is going on by end of next week.

tenifan wrote: »
    Many people outside the main towns and cities have crap broadband, but there are other benefits of living in those areas so.. it's up to you really. Move to Dublin and get super fast broadband.
    Slow broadband's not that big of a deal for me. I live in Dundalk but have slow mobile broadband because I'm too cheap to pay eircom line rental.

I just saw this post. Very helpful. You should get a job as a customer service manager. Possibly even a director.

17th February Update.

I posted above that 2 cabinets are being upgraded to fibre in Spring 2015. Yesterday I spoke to the Eircom networks manager and it is very disappointing what is going on.

1 - Anyone in Tullyallen connnected to the exchange on Trinity Street via the copper cable will NOT be upgraded when the cabinets at Gleann Alainn and the lane by Townley Manor / Lavin Park are upgraded. As far as I know this means those in Arda Raith, Moorecourt, Allen Wood and possibly Cnoc na Greine are stuck on 1.2mb for life.

Why? - It is the nasty people in COMREG who put up administrative barriers to consumers who want to be removed from a copper line that runs 6KM from Drogheda instead of being connected to a cabinet approximately 68 paces from your front door. Vodafone/UTV/BT etc may have invested money in the exchange/line at Trinity Street so under the regulations dreamt up by COMREG it is in Eircoms opionion absolutely impossible to change. Can you believe? I find it absolutely astonishing.

I have contacted Fergus O'Dowd about it and tomorrow I'm going to write to Gerry Adams. If I lived in a remote field 10 miles from the nearest town I would accept defeat. However, to live 68 paces from a fibre enabled cabinet and to be told it cannot be connected is taking the piss completely. Faceless administrators and pen pushers saying it is not possible? Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

17th February Update.

I posted above that 2 cabinets are being upgraded to fibre in Spring 2015. Yesterday I spoke to the Eircom networks manager and it is very disappointing what is going on.

1 - Anyone in Tullyallen connnected to the exchange on Trinity Street via the copper cable will NOT be upgraded when the cabinets at Gleann Alainn and the lane by Townley Manor / Lavin Park are upgraded. As far as I know this means those in Arda Raith, Moorecourt, Allen Wood and possibly Cnoc na Greine are stuck on 1.2mb for life.

Why? - It is the nasty people in COMREG who put up administrative barriers to consumers who want to be removed from a copper line that runs 6KM from Drogheda instead of being connected to a cabinet approximately 68 paces from your front door. Vodafone/UTV/BT etc may have invested money in the exchange/line at Trinity Street so under the regulations dreamt up by COMREG it is in Eircoms opionion absolutely impossible to change. Can you believe? I find it absolutely astonishing.

I have contacted Fergus O'Dowd about it and tomorrow I'm going to write to Gerry Adams. If I lived in a remote field 10 miles from the nearest town I would accept defeat. However, to live 68 paces from a fibre enabled cabinet and to be told it cannot be connected is taking the piss completely. Faceless administrators and pen pushers saying it is not possible? Crazy!

Any more updates, George?

I've phoned, written and e-mailed them a lot about the broadband situation in Tullyallen. I've not got much out of them.

Kaiser84 wrote: »
    Any more updates, George?

I've phoned, written and e-mailed them a lot about the broadband situation in Tullyallen. I've not got much out of them.

Hi Kaiser,

Nothing new to report so far. I got a rather bland response from a different manager after Fergus O'Dowd sent my email on to him citing reasons of distance from the exchange as the reason some in Tullyallen are only getting 1.2mb.

Where are you based? I'm on Watery Lane about 70 odd paces from where the cabinets are at the lane into Lavin Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 COLMCS

So are the two cabinets across from Townley Manor fibre enabled?

Hi Kaiser,

Nothing new to report so far. I got a rather bland response from a different manager after Fergus O'Dowd sent my email on to him citing reasons of distance from the exchange as the reason some in Tullyallen are only getting 1.2mb.

Where are you based? I'm on Watery Lane about 70 odd paces from where the cabinets are at the lane into Lavin Park.

I'm in Gleann Alainn. I've been on to them again numerous times, but nothing of note to report.

COLMCS wrote: »
    So are the two cabinets across from Townley Manor fibre enabled?

Hi, no not yet. They are going to be enabled in Summer 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

Hi George/Kaiser84,

I just came across this thread having done a quick search for Tullyallen on Boards. My husband and I are currently living in Drogheda and hoping to buy in Tullyallen in the next 9-12 months, potentially Allenwood.

However, I work from home 4 days a week so if the broadband is as slow as you say it is, this will be a massive concern to me. My sister-in-law lives across the road in Ard Rath Wood and uses Sky Broadband and hasn't experienced any issues as far as I'm aware. Could it be just that she is closer to the exchange? We currently use Sky Broadband in Drogheda and have speeds of approx 26MB (down) and 12MB (up). I assume I won't be seeing anywhere near that in Tullyallen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi. Your sister in Arda Raith will be on a 1.6mb connection. As per my posts above she is connected to an exchange on Trinity Street.

Allen Wood possibly has an 8mb connection like Townley Manor. I have not confirmed this though.

• Advertisement

Im in Townley Manor currently getting about 10MB, my house is connected to the Gleann Alainn exchange.....

Im in Townley Manor currently getting about 10MB, my house is connected to the Gleann Alainn exchange.....
    Just 10Mbps? Can you show us the "line statistics" from your router? You can get to the router webpage by typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

Sure......

Line standard: ADSL2+
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 12286
    Upstream line rate(kbit/s): 1113
    Downstream SNR(dB): 22.7
    Upstrean SNR(dB): 6.7
    Downstream line attenuation(dB): 3.5
    Upstream line attenuation(dB): 3.7
    Downstream output power(dBmV): 18
    Upstream outputpower(dBmV): 12.1

Sure......

Line standard: ADSL2+
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 12286
    Upstream line rate(kbit/s): 1113
    Downstream SNR(dB): 22.7
    Upstrean SNR(dB): 6.7
    Downstream line attenuation(dB): 3.5
    Upstream line attenuation(dB): 3.7
    Downstream output power(dBmV): 18
    Upstream outputpower(dBmV): 12.1
    Your line can handle much more speed than 12 Mb/s. Ask whoever you have your service with to reprofile you to max speed (I think eircom (who serve all the ISPs offer the full 24 Mbps.). Your line is excellent as I thought and can handle whatever speed thrown at it. Whenever VDSL comes along to the Tullyallen cabinet, you will get at least 50 Mbit too :)

The two cabinets in Tullyallen are showing as planned for upgrade on the fibre rollout map the last few weeks Collon is live, so surely only a matter of time now....

Indeed! Looks like its "in Build"!

I wonder how that will affect the poor feckers in Arda Raith, Moorecourt and Cnoc Na Greine who are still connected to the Trinity Street exchange.

I'm sure some reason not to do anything will be trotted out. Frustrating beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Charles1412

Anyone have an update on the ongoing saga that is fibre broadband in Tullyallen. I got a call to our house a couple of weeks ago from a rep from Vodafone looking to get my business. Were located in Watery lane. Guy gave the big spiel all about how great their service would be and when the router arrived out I called them up to be told that all they can offer is 1.5mb - I'm sticking with my 8mb aerial broadband with net1. Anybody got any idea when we can get on the fibre bandwagon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Advertisement