Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are The Irish Underestimated

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

I worked hard and paid my taxes and looked after my country, I fell on hard times lost my job and my country paid me back! Fell on harder times and became ill, my country is looking after my health and not asking for a credit card. Ireland has it's problems but can be bloody good at the basics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

We have a cracking sense of humour and no post-communism dourness that's prevalent in many other Europeans.

Were very well liked in East Europe, so naturally after the fall of the Berlin Wall, Ireland's popularity sky rocketed. Were very big in Bulgaria & the other garia, Hungaria. I can't think of any one else who's benefited more from the death of communism than Ireland, well except maybe the people who actually lived in a communist country. But then again we had a Celtic Tiger, how many Hungario's can say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

I think the best thing about the Irish state is the politicial discourse. By that I mean, we had an awful civil war then a few years later the losing side in that gain power. If you were a betting man you'd have a fiver down on stuff to hit the fan. But no, there's a peaceful transfer of power. Not many countries where that can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think the best thing about the Irish state is the politicial discourse. By that I mean, we had an awful civil war then a few years later the losing side in that gain power. If you were a betting man you'd have a fiver down on stuff to hit the fan. But no, there's a peaceful transfer of power. Not many countries where that can happen.

If such restraint was shown a few years earlier, we might not have had a civil war at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Things have gone full circle in this nation it seems... there was a time when we Irish did not have much belief in ourselves, and felt a bit of an inferiority complex.

Now, many of our people seem to think the sun shines out of our collective posterior!

At least that's the impression I get from all the finger wagging and preachy BS we get towards the likes of the UK and the US...

Ireland is a decent enough place, with decent enough people... It would be even nicer, however, if there were less sh!tehawks about, in love with their own self-image! All of this guff of "we're Irish, everyone loves us... sure we're great craic" ... makes me want vomit tbh! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Things have gone full circle in this nation it seems... there was a time when we Irish did not have much belief in ourselves, and felt a bit of an inferiority complex.

Now, many of our people seem to think the sun shines out of our collective posterior!

At least that's the impression I get from all the finger wagging and preachy BS we get towards the likes of the UK and the US...

Ireland is a decent enough place, with decent enough people... It would be even nicer, however, if there were less sh!tehawks about, in love with their own self-image! All of this guff of "we're Irish, everyone loves us... sure we're great craic" ... makes me want vomit tbh! :p

watch Irish fans sing to a nun on a train in France.:(

I'd say that the Irish may be underestimated, but rarely by themselves.

Advertisement