Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords-Holywell / Noise from M1

Options
  • 06-07-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are considering moving in Holywel but are bit concerned about noise from M1.
    Especially looking at Holywell Green or Holywell Way.
    Would any locals perhaps have opinion how bad is it or if it is a misser and people dont mind it?
    I would really appreciate your opinions/ experience.
    Thank you.
    Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I'd be more concerned with noise from your neighbours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ro Man

Thanks easygoing39
    I went down the other day and noise around/on Holywell way is just tremendous.
    I am wondering is it me or how people live with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

People tend to get used to it to be honest unless you grew up in the country away from a city.

Plus it wouldn't be as loud in the houses as opposed to standing outside and listening.

Also there are a few threads in the NCD forum you can search and read.

Best of luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ro Man wrote: »
    Thanks easygoing39
    I went down the other day and noise around/on Holywell way is just tremendous.
    I am wondering is it me or how people live with this?

A fair bit of the estate is rented and young, so noise from neighbours can be a problem. We had a problem neighbour when I lived in Applewood, he trashed the rented house, had constant parties and it was a nightmare to get it dealt with, in the end the owner inspected the house saw the mess and evicted him. We still had to go through hell for 6 months, and my wife was pregnant at the time.

Now we had many other neighbours in the years we were down there, and all the rest were fine, its just luck of the draw, but if your neighbour's are causing hell it can be very very hard to dislodge them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ro Man wrote: »
    We are considering moving in Holywel but are bit concerned about noise from M1...
    I can't speak for Holywell but from having lived in various noisy places, it tends to blend it and become the norm.

I used to live on a busy Main Street and found it noisy for the first few weeks but didn't notice it after that. Same when I lived beside a busy pub. In my current abode, the noise of sea gulls drove me insane for a few weeks but now I don't notice it.

Someone talking outside in a normal voice in the small hours would be more disruptive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

All through the 80s and 90s we heard plane engines being tested when they were serviced at the airport. We just got used to it, it's life near the airport just as living in a populated area will have traffic noise. We also had quite a lot of noise when the old runway was used.

A few years ago a set of pedestrian lights was put in right beside our house. On the first night when he went to bed, Himself heard the beeps and decided we'd have to move - but we didn't, and I don't think we've been aware of the beeps since :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ro Man

Thank you guys, really appreciate the feedback, I presume its the norm in such area then.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

I lived there for over a year, couldn't wait out get out of the place.

Traffic is chaos around it, buses arrive to the stops full, there's zero sense of community or safety.

Either a car or a motorbike was stolen at least once a month, numerous break ins, proximity to the motorway means it's an easy target for thieves to make a quick grab n go.

I've lived all over Dublin over the last 20 years in rentals and I'd easily say holywell was the worst place. Which is a real shame, because Swords village is nice place for a little chilled out evening stroll or somewhere for a bite to eat.

Advertisement