Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on Pure Telecom

• 15-05-2019 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with Vodafone but am in a cooling off period so am thinking about dropping them and going with Pure Telecom as they would work out 10 euros a month cheaper for me.
    Would like to know are they ok for speed, reliability and if something does go wrong are they able to fix it.
    If they are similar to Vodafone I think I'd be better off going with Pure and saving some money.
    Of course if most people who've tried them think they're a disaster I'll give them a miss.
    It'd be great if people who tried them could say what they thought of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Hi @quinnd6, did you go with Pure inteh end?

I ust got installed today and am less than impressed with the speed. Less than 20Mbps wifi and on a wired connection less than 30Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

jim salter wrote: »
    Hi @quinnd6, did you go with Pure inteh end?

I ust got installed today and am less than impressed with the speed. Less than 20Mbps wifi and on a wired connection less than 30Mbps.

What was your speed with your previous supplier?
    The speed of this services is limited by the distance you are form the cabinet your line is connected to. Are you sure 30Mbps isn't the maximum speed your line can receive at?

tuxy wrote: »
    What was your speed with your previous supplier?
    The speed of this services is limited by the distance you are form the cabinet your line is connected to. Are you sure 30Mbps isn't the maximum speed your line can receive at?

Speed from previous supplier is 120Mbps.

Cabinet is 100m from the house. Speeds available are 100Mbps.

Running a speedtest standing 1m from the Pure router (wireless) gives 25-35Mbps. Change to the current provider wifi connection (same phone, same distance, same app) and speeds exceed 120Mbps.

Last night downloaded the same media file on each connection:
    Current provider 2m 1s
    Pure 8m 40s

The admin console from pure shows 98Mbps into the router

EDIT: Ran a wired test and got 23Mbps down and 9Mbps up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Who was your previous supplier? I'm thinking you didn't get your previous connection via phone line as max is 100.
    If you use Vodafone website and put in your address, it'll give you the speed your address is approved for.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Who was your previous supplier? I'm thinking you didn't get your previous connection via phone line as max is 100.
    If you use Vodafone website and put in your address, it'll give you the speed your address is approved for.

Correct, the last provider was not via the phone line however, Pure advertised a 'fiber' broadband connection and to the router the admin console says 98Mbps incoming speed

My address is capable of 100Mbps so I do not expect to exceed that value but I do expect to achieve close to it via a wired connection and near enough via wireless if I am <1m from the router

• Advertisement

Well you can't get a fibre connection over a phone line, fibre lines are made from glass and phone lines are made from copper.

How do you know your phone line is capable of 100 Mps?

What signal attenuation are you currently getting?

Correct, the last provider was not via the phone line however, Pure advertised a 'fiber' broadband connection and to the router the admin console says 98Mbps incoming speed

My address is capable of 100Mbps so I do not expect to exceed that value but I do expect to achieve close to it via a wired connection and near enough via wireless if I am <1m from the router

If the various online testers eg eir or Vodafone say you can get 100 as opposed to up to 100,then you need to ring pure as it's a tech issue.

If the various online testers eg eir or Vodafone say you can get 100 as opposed to up to 100,then you need to ring pure as it's a tech issue.

Yes, have gotten onto Pure. There is an issue with the line. Engineer coming Monday

Well you can't get a fibre connection over a phone line, fibre lines are made from glass and phone lines are made from copper.

How do you know your phone line is capable of 100 Mps?

What signal attenuation are you currently getting?

Not being smart - I am fully awre of the difference between fibre lines and phone lines.

Pure Broadband are advertising 100 Mb Fibre BB : https://www.puretelecom.ie/broadband-only which in my case is FTTC and being a little less than 100m to the cabinet and local exchange is 1.3Km from teh house I wouldn't expect such degredation of signal that I am getting (and as all of the FTTC providerd they are selling 'up to' 100 Mb)

Line checkers have advised of the available speeds, as have Pure, Eir and Vodafone advised when talking to them

Not being smart - I am fully awre of the difference between fibre lines and phone lines.

Pure Broadband are advertising 100 Mb Fibre BB : https://www.puretelecom.ie/broadband-only which in my case is FTTC and being a little less than 100m to the cabinet and local exchange is 1.3Km from teh house I wouldn't expect such degredation of signal that I am getting (and as all of the FTTC providerd they are selling 'up to' 100 Mb)

Line checkers have advised of the available speeds, as have Pure, Eir and Vodafone advised when talking to them

You do seem to know your stuff but there are quite a number of people who take the phrase "up to 100"to mean they get 100 hence prob why you got a few comments. Glad to hear you got sorted, prob something stupid somewhere.

• Advertisement

Ran a wired test and got 23Mbps down and 9Mbps up

What's interesting is that 23 Mbps is the kind of speed you could expect over VDSL if your line was connected to that exchange 1.3 km away and not the nearest cabinet. This sometimes happens.

If you could get a downstream attenuation reading from the router it could help figure out if that was the case.

You do seem to know your stuff but there are quite a number of people who take the phrase "up to 100"to mean they get 100 hence prob why you got a few comments. Glad to hear you got sorted, prob something stupid somewhere.

Thanks.

Yeah. I completely understand that in real world situtions "up to" 100 Mbps is rarely achieved and a lot of (older) lines would only be capable of delivering up to 90 Mbps (if that), that coupled with environmental variables the realistic expectation (for me) would be somewhere between 60 Mbps and 70 Mbps.

When getting 20 Mbps - 30 Mbps there has to be something wrong (which there is :D )

What's interesting is that 23 Mbps is the kind of speed you could expect over VDSL if your line was connected to that exchange 1.3 km away and not the nearest cabinet. This sometimes happens.

If you could get a downstream attenuation reading from the router it could help figure out if that was the case.

I will get the attenuation and post when I get home.

With a fault on the line I'm hoing that's all it is :)

Line Rate 20.47 Mbps 96.11 Mbps
    Data Transferred 0.24 MBytes 0.01 MBytes
    Output Power 14 dBm -5.3 dBm
    Line Attenuation 4.4, 21.7, 33.0 dB 11.0, 26.4, 41.3 dB
    Noise Margin 16.2 dB 10.1 dB

Switching between current provider and Pure and there is no comparisson. Pure connection speed is abysmal. Will have to wait and see what the engineer says Monday

Advertisement