Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH

Options
  • 15-10-2017 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

Got told by Eir a few weeks back that we can now get FTTH. Guy from KN Networks arrived out a few days ago and tried pushing cable down into junction box at front of house and out to pole on road but it got stuck along the way. He then packed up saying there was nothing more he could do and we'd have to sort it!!
    Have got no help from Eir. Surely this must be a common issue that they would have the expertise to sort? Anybody else had similar issue or know what can be done?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi @Eldrew. (Wrong Forum)

There are dozens of people over here on the FTTH thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489 who have shared their experiences.

You'll need to learn to search on Boards to get the best value out of it. If you go to that thread and use the "Search this thread" function, you'll see some good comments from people who had to sort out problems with ducts and other things. Eir have very little expertise at this stage in anything except billing!

This search thread=2057499489&query=blocked will give you a good idea of how many others it's happened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Yeah that's common enough
    Usually gets blocked at the dogleg (the bend where the pipe from the external connection point turns)
    Other times it's the lowest point in the pipe where sludge and water have built up over the years. Once it's on private property the issue of getting it to the house is the homeowners/landowners responsibility unless they opt for poles. Fibre coming down your road is the easiest part getting it in is harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You don't nessacary have to have buried ducting obviously it's preferred but if you have a duct to the pole then the pipe secured to a proper fence going all the way up to the property that can be used.
    As long as the fibre is not gonna get into a situation where it can be cut with hedge trimmers. Be drove over tripped over snap from a passing vehicle and is secured to a fixed location it should be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Eir didnt lay the duct, a builder did, its not their responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Breakingbad123

I had the same problem. Ducting under my drive way was blocked. I spent 400euro rerouting it putting new ducting under garden and up the gable end of the house Into attic. I have 150mb speed now. Brian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

We put the FTTH cable inside a conduit pipe and attached it under the soffit (crawl space was too long and now has foam pumped insulation so too awkward).
    Fence is a good idea too but make sure it's not in a place where it could get wind-damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Midlands2011

Hi

I have 1GB FTTH internet and I was getting between 800/900mb down on my wired PC.... using the EIR broadband test site. Now all we can get is a Latency error on speed test and barely over 100mb on speedtest.net

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hi

I have 1GB FTTH internet and I was getting between 800/900mb down on my wired PC.... using the EIR broadband test site. Now all we can get is a Latency error on speed test and barely over 100mb on speedtest.net

I wouldn't use speedtests on service providers webpages to test any connection. Use speedtest and a reliable server. e.g. Strencom, Digiweb or Vodafone IE on speedtests site.

If your still getting errors and low speeds on all those, check all your cables and lights, then maybe give Eir a call if it's still happening. Could be a modem fault.

Hi

Mice may have eaten your cable...

Seriously, take a look at the ethernet settings on your PC.
    Any chance it's dropped to 100Mbit connection speed?

This could be caused by cable damage, or interference from an electrical device in the very near vicinity. How long is the cable, and would it be convenient to plug the PC directly into the modem with a cable you can see the whole length of? It's also possible that there is damage to the cable into your modem from the fiber ONT.

You don't say what speeds you are getting from any other device.
    Do you have any figures on phones or anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Midlands2011

Nothing has changed the PC is directly connected to router on a short lead.. The PC has GB NIC card and the FTTH is 1 GB...... Always got in excess of 800mb down on the wired connection now just over 100mb jut in the last month. had 11 months of 800mb + downloads. the fact that its failing a latency test on Eir own test tool is ominous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As others have pointed out. If you're just getting around the 100 mark, then it could be as simple as a faulty network cable between your PC and the router or the router and the ONT.

If that cable only syncs at 100 Mbit/s, then all you get is 100 Mbit/s. And a faulty cable can also cause other issue like packet loss.

Check the status of your network adapter and see, if it really is syncing at Gbit/s. If it is, it could be worth replacling the copper cable between the router and the ONT.

/M

Visit your router in a web browser. It is most likely the F2000.

If you haven't made any changes, it will probably be at http://192.168.1.254 and the admin password will be on the back of the router.

Click on the link to the farthest right marked "Maintain".

Under "System Information" there is a box labelled "Interface Status".
    You'll be able to see there if the ports are connected at 1000M/Full or not.

If the speed for "Ethernet WAN" is lower than that, power cycle both the ONT (white box with fiber, ethernet and power connections) and the router itself and check again.

Advertisement