Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband problems

Options
  • 16-05-2019 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My Sky broadband suddenly stopped working over 2 weeks ago.
    Everything looks okay, but cannot get on to internet on phone, iPad using safari or Chrome. Every site says “ cannot establish a secure connection”.
    On Mac I have the same problem with safari, but have got on to simple sites such as google.ie with Chrome.
    I have spent over 12 hours on the phone to Sky and had 2 visits from Eir engineers, I am no nearer a solution.
    Line is okay.
    Sky hub is okay, 3 green lights are on. Sky even sent a new hub and that had the same problem.
    I have used same devices on another Sky network so they are not the problem.
    If anyone has heard of this problem before I would really appreciate their input as I am at my wits end with Sky. I only moved to Sky 3 months ago, so still under contract.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

HI Maurab1234,

Sound like a dns issue. seen it once before on relative ipad/mac:

can you follow this guide to see if it fixes the issue: https://appuals.com/safari-cant-establish-a-secure-connection-to-the-server/

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-safari-cant-establish-a-secure-connection/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Maurab1234

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried this with no success.
    On the iPad, using Safari and Chrome I cannot get on to any site.
    On the Mac, using Safari I cannot get on to any site. Using Chromei can get on to Google. When I try to get on to Boards.ie the page starts to load but never completes.
    I have tried the iPad on another Sky network and it works perfectly.
    I think this must be a problem in the exchange, but Sky have never seen the problem before and do not seem to be able to resolve it.
    I will contact them again Monday to see about terminating my contract due to lack of service, I think 3 weeks without service warrants this.
    Thanks, Maura

Maurab1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried this with no success.
    On the iPad, using Safari and Chrome I cannot get on to any site.
    On the Mac, using Safari I cannot get on to any site. Using Chromei can get on to Google. When I try to get on to Boards.ie the page starts to load but never completes.
    I have tried the iPad on another Sky network and it works perfectly.
    I think this must be a problem in the exchange, but Sky have never seen the problem before and do not seem to be able to resolve it.
    I will contact them again Monday to see about terminating my contract due to lack of service, I think 3 weeks without service warrants this.
    Thanks, Maura
    HI Maurab1234,

Does this site work: http://neverssl.com/ just to test to if a basic website works.

has you clear all your caches as will still use them until they expire.

Also are you using any antivirus product as such avast and so on, they can cause like this.

Thanks for the suggestion. It it some sort of performance problem which has the engineers baffled!
    When I try to access the AppStore or iTunes it times out and says retry. Same for Netflix. I sent something to my Kindle and it sticks on 0% download. A minute amount of info is getting through. Sky are sending me a second replacement hub just in case I have 2 duds.

After weeks without service, I cancelled my Sky contract and moved to Virgin. I had 2 visits from Eir engineers, they said the line was okay and my landline phone was working okay.
    I got 2 new hubs from Sky but had the same problem.
    Virgin broadband is working perfectly, but of course this is coming in on a different cable.
    It was a very frustrating experience and feel that Sky did not do enough to try and resolve it.

• Advertisement

Glad you eventually got it sorted, Probaly a dns issue but we will never know now :)

Advertisement