Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest way London to Dublin when you’ve missed all cheap flights?

• 14-05-2019 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I travel to London twice a month. I always fly to Gatwick and I always book way in advance.

I had booked my outgoing flight for next week, but forgot my return flight (London > Dublin) for next Thursday or Friday, May 23/34. They are now insanely expensive. (Why? What’s on?)

Bus? Train? Ferry? Combo.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Sail rail. Pain in the hole, but cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Who would you recommend from London to Dublin?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Im sure there are flights for under a 100, or is that too expensive?

Have to be Gatwick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I assume you can't make the 35 euro flight that leaves Thursday morning?

Have you looked into getting a bus/train to any of these airports? Some of them have cheap flights in the evening.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. There must be something on here that weekend. All Luton/Stanstead/Gatwick Ryanair flights are booked full that Friday except for a couple of red-eyes which I can’t make. Incredible! Never seen that before.

I think I’ll take rail from Euston on the Friday morning, arriving Dublin late that afternoon.

Aer Lingus is just as booked.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks all. There must be something on here that weekend. All Luton/Stanstead/Gatwick Ryanair flights are booked full that Friday except for a couple of red-eyes which I can’t make. Incredible! Never seen that before.

I think I’ll take rail from Euston on the Friday morning, arriving Dublin late that afternoon.

Aer Lingus is just as booked.

D.

Have you tried Southend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

Aer Lingus EI285 from London City at 13:30 on Thursday 23 is £123.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bus and boat, even cheaper (and slower). £55 Leave Gatwick 15.15 Thursday, arrive Dublin 06.30 Friday. £47 from London Victoria at 18.00.

Thanks for all the advice. Booked rail/ferry for Friday 24 from Euston. In Dublin a bit after 17:00.

Found Irish Rail site a bit of a head-wreck from my iPhone. (Probably my fault!) Used this site to book it. Simple and intuitive. https://www.omio.ie/

Thanks again.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Wonder if its Spice Girls playing at Croker next week and an influx of brits pushing up the price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

It’s a bank holiday in the UK, hence the demand

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

cart man wrote: »
    It’s a bank holiday in the UK, hence the demand

Even for Thursday flights, to have flights booked out completely? Think it's more than just the bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

It's also a half term in the schools in the UK and for some reason it is always the most expensive one to travel anywhere

Half-term, Spice Girls and bank holiday.

I knew there had to be reasons, because it never happened to me before. Even if I had to pay €60/70 from London, there would be something available. £100-350 for a single fare was nuts.

Glad there seems to be an explanation.

D.

Advertisement