Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of changing from Vodafone to Sky broadband

• 11-05-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hi I'd just like opinions from people on Sky broadband.
    Is it any good?
    Is the speed good?
    Do they have a reliable connection?
    If something does go wrong are they any good at fixing the problem?
    As I'm already with sky TV it would work out cheaper for me to use them for broadband but if they are a disaster when it comes to broadband I 'll just stick with Vodafone.
    Would like to hear what people here think of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭quinnd6

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Is it any good?
    Is the speed good?
    As I'm already with sky TV it would work out cheaper for me to use them for broadband but if they are a disaster when it comes to broadband I 'll just stick with Vodafone.

Ah flip this is going to get zero replies here.
    How can I move it to the broadband thread?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

Is it any good?
    Is the speed good?

What do you honestly think yourself? Do you think one of the biggest players in the telecommutication market are any good at providing broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The infrastructure is provided by Eir anyway so there wouldn't be much difference in speeds coming into the house regardless of going with Eir, Sky or Vodafone. Just on who bills you for it.
    If you wanted a different infrastructure you have to go to Virgin Media. Provided they operate in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

In terms of service Sky is excellent,any issues fixed quickly and good speeds.Only issue is the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I had sky back in the old ADSL days, it was dreadful. Their router is a locked down piece of junk too. Are you on fttc?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I had sky back in the old ADSL days, it was dreadful. Their router is a locked down piece of junk too. Are you on fttc?

I'm currently getting about 30Mbps.
    It's not fibre optic it's VDSL.
    Vodafone call it fibre broadband but it's not really it is what you say I think yep.
    I use a DSL cable to connect to it

Sky are trying to charge me 12 euros more a month than what new customers are paying for the same package and I've been with them for years and have been the perfect customer.
    Never complained and always paid my bills on time.
    Anyway as a result that has put me completely off. I'd like to get out Sky altogether now I am so annoyed about it but the alternatives out there are are all crap with regards channels.
    Anyway I'll ask how are Pure Telecom for their broadband and call quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

I've had sky broadband, customer service brilliant but their modem wouldn't extend beyond my hallway, kept cutting out. Speed was great in the room I had modem... Just keep that in mind if you live in bungalow for example..

Sky were trying to charge me 71 euros for the same package that new customers pay 59 for.
    I've been with Sky TV for years.
    I won't be using Sky for broadband.
    Sky can take a hike.
    I'm investigating alternatives for my TV now.
    Might just go free to air , nothing but rubbish on TV most of the time anyway.

• Advertisement

yeah i was the same last week, i have sky tv and wanted to see if they would honor the deal for new customers, nope, best they would do was 23 for telly(which im keeping) and 40 for internet.. im having a look at vodafone broadband now, 25 for first 6 months and 40 for last 6 months? will wait another few weeks to see if any other deals come up, canceled my eir broadband start of last week and already they are dropping the internet connection...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Lots of other options anyhow. Here is a list:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

Most of them are either more expensive than Vodafone, I've never heard and have no reviews anywhere or are Eircom who are supposed to be very bad.
    I'm getting 30Mbps at the moment anyway and I'm in a rural area so I don't know.
    I'll be paying 45 for vodafone broadband with Ireland and UK calls but I never really use the calls and I have a mobile anyway.

Most of them are either more expensive than Vodafone, I've never heard and have no reviews anywhere or are Eircom who are supposed to be very bad.
    I'm getting 30Mbps at the moment anyway and I'm in a rural area so I don't know.
    I'll be paying 45 for vodafone broadband with Ireland and UK calls but I never really use the calls and I have a mobile anyway.

Stay away from eir, they are a disaster to deal with, Vodafone have broadband deal of 25 for first 6 months then 40 for last 6 months, from what I gather there modems seem to be better as well from what I've heard, I stand corrected if there are Vodafone customers here who disagree..

Stay away from eir, they are a disaster to deal with, Vodafone have broadband deal of 25 for first 6 months then 40 for last 6 months, from what I gather there modems seem to be better as well from what I've heard, I stand corrected if there are Vodafone customers here who disagree..

I can't get that Vodafone deal because I'm already with them.
    I got a similar deal to that when I joined up with them years ago.
    The other option I was thinking of was going with Pure Telecom.
    I'm hearing a load of bad stuff about them though regards unreliable service.

I can't get that Vodafone deal because I'm already with them.
    I got a similar deal to that when I joined up with them years ago.
    The other option I was thinking of was going with Pure Telecom.

I was with them before and no issues, sky and pure telecom had much better customer service than eir anyway.. Just would never again deal with eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Most of them are either more expensive than Vodafone

None of them are Eircom, apart from Eircom (Eir) that is.

If you're going by price point and not by quality, then there will probably always be issues.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

If you're going by price point and not by quality, then there will probably always be issues.

/M

I've dealt with most of the broadband company's and there service is generally the same, what's important is there customer service when an issue arises. Eir is the worst company in general I've ever dealt with, their agents couldn't care less about your issues/problems with broadband..

Marlow wrote: »

/M

No I won't be going with Eir.
    I've only been with Vodafone and they've been fine vast majority of the time.
    They've also been good with fixing issues.
    Quality is definitely important to me.
    I don't want to have problems with it.
    So I suppose Pure would be just as good as Vodafone then?

No I won't be going with Eir.
    I've only been with Vodafone and they've been fine vast majority of the time.
    They've also been good with fixing issues.
    Quality is definitely important to me.
    I don't want to have problems with it.
    So I suppose Pure would be just as good as Vodafone then?

I never had a problem with them when I had them, I just change every year if there are good deals to be had haha.. But maybe start a thread and look for other peoples opinion on pure telecom to make sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

flazio wrote: »
    The infrastructure is provided by Eir anyway so there wouldn't be much difference in speeds coming into the house regardless of going with Eir, Sky or Vodafone. Just on who bills you for it.
    If you wanted a different infrastructure you have to go to Virgin Media. Provided they operate in your area.

Not true, the service provider can make quite a difference in terms of performance

I've been with them all

Sky are especially awful at the moment, Vodafone are the best

Advertisement