Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 HDD to SSD

Options
  • 27-02-2019 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

looking for a bit of advice

On a laptop i cloned my hdd onto an ssd and since then the fan is slightly more noisy

any setting in the Bios or windows 10 i should change to suit an ssd

Os is Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1803 (build 17134.590)

Laptop model is LENOVO 80TJ Lenovo ideapad 110-15AC

AMD processor with 8GB RAM

i checked the CPU usage and its not high

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

SSD should not have negative influence on fan work. Quite opposite.

Most likely its physical disturbance side effect while swap drives - dirt/dust dislodged/clogging outlet, screws loose/over-tightened, damage to fan bearings, etc. or wear

You can't control fans from windows unless install tools/application for it.

Some UEFI have ability to control fan speed.

Neither of options above will sort "noise" issue - only mask. If you reduce fan speed you might reduce audible sound at cost of inefficient/insufficient cooling, that might introduce other, more serious issues.

Thermal paste replacement might be recommended, however, more complex task.

Fan replacement available in online stores for ~ €10-20

Search YouTube/other for tutorials for your model "how-to".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I assume you replaced the HDD with the SSD? Maybe something is a bit loose and being rattled by the fan and you are mistaking it for being the fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EireGuy

Thanks for all the replies

When the laptop is idle i checked the cpu usage etc in task manager and its all very low .

the fan seems to be on more with the SSD then when the HDD was installed .

i can hear the fan and feel air at the vent on the side of the laptop.

i will open the laptop over the weekend and re seed everything and apply fresh thermal paste to the cpu to see if that helps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd look out for a cable that's slightly touching off the fan blades first, that can make it sound like the newest machine is an old clunker.

Advertisement