Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

mailburner wrote: »
    no one could be shocked surely, it was 1/1000 to qualify :confused:

it's hard to know if if it will go close or completely bomb
    I'm thinking it might finish outside the top three but I could be miles out there
    still dont get the cyprus odds, this for me is the worst favourite in many a year

at 6/1 there's worse bets than israel when it was less than 2s up till a few days ago

I have money on Bulgaria and France which I somewhat given up on, but yeah Israel now a bet for me. The song will go down an absolute storm on the night when you consider how leftie the audience is for this sort of thing.

Cyprus is just a poor mans shakira, stunning but aren't they all?;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fabulous, Ireland got second half in the final :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Czech Republic 22/1 with PP, seems like a E/W good bet. 1/5 odds 5 places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Vexed that Switzerland failed.

Surprised there was so much love for Switzerland on here tonight, I thought it was extremely ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Isreal the most popular in the arena
    Cyprus second
    Ireland were very popular- the gay dancers helped.

Cant believe Azerbaijan didnt qualify- it was so popular in the night club after too!

Well done Ryan! Bed now- Ive tomorrow to recouperate then SF2 Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hooked wrote: »
    Ireland's odds slashed from 200-1
    Into 66-1

Had a snakey each way bet before kick off...

35-1 this morning.

Hoping for a top 5 finish now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I went looking for the actual breakdown of voting this morning but read somewhere that they're not released till after the final on Saturday. Boo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I went looking for the actual breakdown of voting this morning but read somewhere that they're not released till after the final on Saturday. Boo.
    It's always that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Marty on RTÉ Radio 1 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I follow the Eurovision on Instagram, there's a lot of hate out there about Ireland getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Pretty sure the stats are leaked to bookmakers though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Pretty sure the stats are leaked to bookmakers though

you'd have to think that especially when the likes of estonia almost quadruples in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Years of the bookies being right on money movers too definitely someone making money leaking stats , it's really open this year I've gone for the Danes each way could be dark horses

Years of the bookies being right on money movers too definitely someone making money leaking stats , it's really open this year I've gone for the Danes each way could be dark horses
    Denmark are not a bad shout at all each way

• Advertisement

Love the Danish song. Don't think it's a winner though. Actually I'd be surprised if it gets out of the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The Ireland song was so bland and boring, it got throught because of backing dancers that says alot about it

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Love the Danish song. Don't think it's a winner though. Actually I'd be surprised if it gets out of the semi final.
    I would expect it to get through semi 2, its very poor in comparison to semi 1.
    A decent shout for top 10/5 I would have thought.

I follow the Eurovision on Instagram, there's a lot of hate out there about Ireland getting through.

Good :cool:

I'm still so ecstatic we got through, I thought from day one that it's a sweet little song with good potential if they get the staging right. After years of enduring the likes of Nicky Byrne and Brendan Murray, this is a welcome surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Marty Whelan is just painful at this stage. Can't RTE find someone else?

Marty Whelan is just painful at this stage. Can't RTE find someone else?

Embarrassing patriotism aside, I've always quite liked him and think he does a decent job.

I think Marty is better than Norton anyway. Marty has a schtick and he just runs with it. I find him entertaining and would watch on RTE if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

I'm genuinely curious as to why that would be? Its a good little song. Do people think other countries should have gotten in ahead of us or what?

CFlat wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious as to why that would be? Its a good little song. Do people think other countries should have gotten in ahead of us or what?

I'd hazard a guess from Russia/Balkan nations who didn't like seeing the two guys dancing together.

I think having UK voting in our Semi might have helped.
    https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2018/semi-final-1
    Plus a lot of gay people watch eurovision and may have voted for us.
    The running order also helped us possibly.

Also on a more basic level I thought he sang it really well and the stage show worked, unlike a lot of other countries (I am looking at you MACEDONIA!!!!)

I genuinely think Azerbaijan would have qualified if drawn later on.

CFlat wrote: »

I don't know.

A few of them were Poles which I found a bit strange considering they are still in with a chance of getting through.

I was surprised Greece didn't make it, I thought it was a good song.

I was surprised Greece didn't make it, I thought it was a good song.
    They were predicted to by the bookies, I was shocked too.

Im still looking at another top 10 bet....Ukraine are looking tempting at 5/1
    Its an odd song but it is last on tomorrow and it has flames and a piano!

Looking ahead to tomorrow night, this is surely the night Russia loses their qualification record right? Bad song sung terribly, only four voting allies and having seen Azerbaijan lose their record last night... surely it's time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Just had a look at the Instagram page there and there are some awful comments. Everyone seems to be angry that Greece didn't get through. I thought her song was really boring!

A lot of people seem to think Ireland will come last in the finals too. I'm not sure if it's bitterness or not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

An interesting fact check article came up from thejournal.ie today. There had been some controversy in the lead up to the semi-final performance of Ryan O'Shaughnessy's entry for Ireland not being shown on Russian TV because of gay themes being present in the song. It actually turns out that the performance last night was shown unedited on Russian TV station Channel One. Channel One, which is the equivalent of RTÉ in Ireland, has a much more easier & positive stance towards the LGBT community in Russia. Other media organisations are more hostile towards gays though in the country.

http://www.thejournal.ie/russian-tv-irish-eurovision-4001768-May2018/

Also this fella on facebook had an exciting time looking at Ireland getting through to the final last night.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/irish-response-to-eurovision-final-4001301-May2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Parasites

I think the Israel have good chance to win this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm surprised with the amount of negativity surrounding the song on here. I am by no means a Eurovision fan - I didn't actually even know the semi-final was on until I saw it while flicking around and it was my first time to hear it.

I found it quite catchy, it has been in my head all day and Ryan O'Shaughnessy can sing to be fair to him. It won't win, but there are worse songs in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

An interesting fact check article came up from thejournal.ie today. There had been some controversy in the lead up to the semi-final performance of Ryan O'Shaughnessy's entry for Ireland not being shown on Russian TV because of gay themes being present in the song. It actually turns out that the performance last night was shown unedited on Russian TV station Channel One. Channel One, which is the equivalent of RTÉ in Ireland, has a much more easier & positive stance towards the LGBT community in Russia. Other media organisations are more hostile towards gays though in the country.

http://www.thejournal.ie/russian-tv-irish-eurovision-4001768-May2018/

Also this fella on facebook had an exciting time looking at Ireland getting through to the final last night.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/irish-response-to-eurovision-final-4001301-May2018/

I’ve been told that the Russian commentator commented on the dance displaying ‘male friendship’. :rolleyes:

Russia may have shown Ireland's performance, but China didn't :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I think the gay aspect will catapult us into a Top-10. Maybe even higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I was watching the you tube vid of the singers coming out after qualifying and Ireland and Austria were the only two countries able to string a decent sentence together. The rest of them were acting the eegit.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

Mokuba wrote: »
    I think the gay aspect will catapult us into a Top-10. Maybe even higher.

Hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Surprised so many out there appeared to have wanted Greece to go through. I thought it was so dull. Couldn't stand Switzerland so glad it didn't go through.

Can anyone help me out? The Cyprus song is really reminding me of a dance song but I can't work out what it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm watching the 1981 Eurovision. Haven't had a lot of interest in the whole thing since 2012. Great songs back then and a great show. Gonna watch on Saturday night. If Israel win, I'll burn the house down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'd say if Russia didn't show the performance there'd be outrage and we'd get even more votes! Hopefully they don't show it on Saturday :pac:

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm watching the 1981 Eurovision. Haven't had a lot of interest in the whole thing since 2012. Great songs back then and a great show. Gonna watch on Saturday night. If Israel win, I'll burn the house down.

Got matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Try_harder wrote: »
    Got matches?

Petrol!

Grandeeod wrote: »

you could be homeless sadly :pac:

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    They were predicted to by the bookies, I was shocked too.

Im still looking at another top 10 bet....Ukraine are looking tempting at 5/1
    Its an odd song but it is last on tomorrow and it has flames and a piano!

lmao

mailburner wrote: »
    lmao
    It's cooler than it sounds he is on a platform with a piano and the platform goes on fire... Also he is kinda dressed like a vampire.... Lol

gmisk wrote: »
    It's cooler than it sounds he is on a platform with a piano and the platform goes on fire... Also he is kinda dressed like a vampire.... Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YTasUpAjw (8th 2007)

vampire thing could work :pac:

on a simliar note It didn't do lordi any harm

I thought we d be together til we die... wait, what kind of weird murder/suicide pact is that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Try_harder wrote: »
    I thought we d be together til we die... wait, what kind of weird murder/suicide pact is that???

The same one every married couple make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement