Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like to live in a mansion?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Looks like a typical "poor" farmers house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

jimgoose wrote: »
    You evidently have no idea where Lisgoold is. Man. :D

I know that the best curry chips are in Bantry....AND the best sherry trifle at the Bay Hotel.

Go way and look at the cartoons in the Evening Echo, ya mountainy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Is that what you say to all the boys?

Only to the ones who claim that i'm jealous or begrudging.

Not to you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Odelay wrote: »
    Vulgar, the only word to describe that house.

Hahaha. Would ya stop. If you could afford it you’d have it too.

People on this thread are hilarious.

Oh it’s too big, oh how vulgar, oh why would you need such a big house, wah wah wah

So much jealousy.

If someone can afford the house and want the space and luxury I see nothing wrong with it.

I think it looks great tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

We’ve a couple of mansion owners in the extended family. It’s more of a look at us thing than anything else, and as I like to remind them it’s easy to build a mansion when you get a site for free and sink that as the deposit against the mortgage.
    One family has over 20 doors and windows on the downstairs floor and 2 of every room, 2 sitting rooms, 2 kitchens, I kid you not.
    TBH no, I wouldn’t like to live in one, heating and cleaning it, going around checking every door and window is closed every night, a big house out in its own, a target for burglars, and in the end one of you will be left rattling around in it on your lonesome. From an ethical point of view I have huge issues with these piles being built, using so much resources to be a blight on the landscape forever. No one needs a 4000 square foot house and I think the councils need to cop on with granting planning for such gratuitous waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭secman

When i decided to buy a site and build , size was carefully and strategically designed. Didn't want something too big or too small. You usually end up with just 2 people in it. We opted for just under 2,500 sq feet and a garage. No regrets, plenty big, not overwhelming for heating and maintenance. Ride on mower was a great investment and don't plant bamboos or Leylandii :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Yeah being Foweva Awone in a giant mansion would probably feel even more Awone!

Being a monk you’d be familiar with that 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

rustynutz wrote: »
    I live out the country, in a relatively big house (not as big as in op, but not far off) with a large lawn, with no next door neighbours, 15 minute walk to nearest shop in small town, and 15 minute drive from nearest big town. I have a tiny mortgage as I built the house myself.

I wouldn't swap it for a detached house in a housing estate in the middle of Dublin (I have lived in Dublin) under any conditions. Nevermind having to take out a 350-400k mortgage to do so.

I really dont get the majority of the people on this thread, are you really telling me you would not like more space, both inside and out given the option?

Kids have loads of room to play, bring their friends over
    I have room to build a massive shed with workshop and gym for motorbikes and other hobbies
    No fear of the council buying a house in the estate and moving in neighbour's from hell
    Can play music as loud as I want at all times of day and night without neighbour's complaining
    Still within walking distance of shop and pub
    And all for a fraction of the price of a semi-D half the size of my shed in an estate in a city?

To me it's a no brainer

Have to agree.
    Ours is 2800sq feet 5 bedroom. Site ia an acre. Plenty of space both inside and out. We grow our own timber for the stove, have orchard, fruit bushes,chickens, polytunnel and still nice large green areas.

Could never go back to high density housing, it’s an existence rather than a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Sorry lads, anything under 3000 sq feet in the country is not a mansion, it’s fairly standard size for houses being built these days. It may be large compared to urban semi Ds, but no way it’s a nansion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hahaha. Would ya stop. If you could afford it you’d have it too.

People on this thread are hilarious.

Oh it’s too big, oh how vulgar, oh why would you need such a big house, wah wah wah

So much jealousy.

If someone can afford the house and want the space and luxury I see nothing wrong with it.

I think it looks great tbh

What's funnny is calling this thing 'luxurious'

If I had a lot of money I certainly wouldnt waste it on a house like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is it this site or Ireland in general that is weird, you can't just not like something without being called a begrudger or jealous :confused:

I can't quite square it. Is money/financial wealth (or showing the illusion of) all that some people think about???

I see more accusations of begrudgery here than actual examples of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

_Brian wrote: »
    ..... Could never go back to high density housing, it’s an existence rather than a life.

I'd be with you 100% on that.

Many probably come from families that have lived in towns for several generations and cant imagine anything else.

I do know a few who moved rural and really did not like it.

My conclusion : each to their own & dont knock it till you've tried it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

https://www.facebook.com/supercarblondie/videos/3404835599599770/?d=null&vh=e

Now that is a mansion. Forget your pesent mansions that is a real one. Just have to win the Euromillions first lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

_Brian wrote: »
    Have to agree.
    Ours is 2800sq feet 5 bedroom. Site ia an acre. Plenty of space both inside and out. We grow our own timber for the stove, have orchard, fruit bushes,chickens, polytunnel and still nice large green areas.

Could never go back to high density housing, it’s an existence rather than a life.

It's amazing the different perspectives people have on living. Being in the countryside away from everything and having to maintain what you mentioned in the above would bore me to tears, far happier living in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

AMKC wrote: »

Now that is a mansion. Forget your pesent mansions that is a real one. Just have to win the Euromillions first lol.

I've seen that woman championing these kinds of things before, she seems to be the pretty face of rampant wasteful consumerism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭saabsaab

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's amazing the different perspectives people have on living. Being in the countryside away from everything and having to maintain what you mentioned in the above would bore me to tears, far happier living in the city.

Some people love living in a crowded city others love the quiet countryside. A few like me love both. Horses for courses I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

AMKC wrote: »

It's like something built on the proceeds of the international drugs trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

o1s1n wrote: »

Same here. Hate visiting the countryside for anything more than a weekend, I'd get extreme depression living in a rural irish village or god forbid in one of the one off houses ..completely isolated, couldn't imagine worse way of living for me anyway

That house would be vastly improved by some proper landscaping beyond just lawn. I don't think it qualifies as a mansion though, which I think requires more than one staircase and a library as well as being over 5,000sqf/465fsqm.

I could easily live in a mansion, if I could afford the help and the upkeep. Obviously if it was any kind of financial struggle then it wouldn't be worth the stress just to live in more space than you strictly need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement