Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sounds very rough in Cork city atm according to Pascal!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Roaches point gusting 57 knots (106km/h) @ 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet and windy morning in cork city. City center is under water, awful news for all the traders on the last day of business. Tide was higher then expected due to stronger South Easterly winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's the max wind speed? I'm a little surprised this hasn't been given a storm name!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think Covid has definitely taken attention off the weather these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very strong gusts in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think Covid has definitely taken attention off the weather these days!

I don't think there'll be much to talk about until a storm comes along or people are praying for cold weather and snow that never arrives, apart from the odd picture of a barren hill somewhere with 1cm of white dust on it that gets 80 odd thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'd gladly take a boring mild winter this year as long as we can get outdoors as much as possible, dreading the thought of months of wind and rain.

Been a miserable couple of days here with non stop rain since Sunday night but given how nice the rest of the month has been I can't complain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd gladly take a boring mild winter this year as long as we can get outdoors as much as possible, dreading the thought of months of wind and rain.

Boring and mild in winter translates to wet, windy and cool to me. If it was a proper cold winter, chances are that precipitation would be less frequent meaning more time to spend outside. Equally, that same proper cold would mean more chance of snow falling instead of rain and it's far less unpleasant to be out and about with snow falling than rain falling.

The above is how I feel so maybe others would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been a miserable couple of days here with non stop rain since Sunday night but given how nice the rest of the month has been I can't complain

A well-balanced post; thank you!

Just gathering things after the last two days of high winds and deluges. Even the cats got caught out this time and refused to come in as it meant getting soaked. When we get heavy rain it is like having a moat. I need wellies to get to the post box
    Day by day. And thankfully not too cold yet.

Wind howling a little now; met ie has a northerly gale warning for coastal waters here.

Are you inland or coastal?
    West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Graces7 wrote: »
    A well-balanced post; thank you!

Just gathering things after the last two days of high winds and deluges. Even the cats got caught out this time and refused to come in as it meant getting soaked. When we get heavy rain it is like having a moat. I need wellies to get to the post box
    Day by day. And thankfully not too cold yet.

Wind howling a little now; met ie has a northerly gale warning for coastal waters here.

Are you inland or coastal?
    West Mayo offshore

Dead calm in East Clare right now..

4Ad wrote: »
    Dead calm in East Clare right now..

The Ireland of varied weather!

Here the wind is gathering momentum. A stay at home day.

West Mayo offshore.

highdef wrote: »
    Boring and mild in winter translates to wet, windy and cool to me. If it was a proper cold winter, chances are that precipitation would be less frequent meaning more time to spend outside. Equally, that same proper cold would mean more chance of snow falling instead of rain and it's far less unpleasant to be out and about with snow falling than rain falling.

Yes boring and mild means grey and damp to me too .....it’s the kind of “non” weather I hate . I prefer colder drier weather, frost, snow or even wind . I hate the nothingness of grey, damp, mild days in Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Yes boring and mild means grey and damp to me too .....it’s the kind of “non” weather I hate . I prefer colder drier weather, frost, snow or even wind . I hate the nothingness of grey, damp, mild days in Winter.

I agree. Hate when it's mild in the winter. I love the clear, sunny, cold days.

I have no preference . There is always plenty that can be done whatever the weather. We can adapt; the weather cannot ;)

When it is like today.. there is no choice though. . Home!

And at my advanced age, every day is precious whatever the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

highdef wrote: »

Yep, I'd gladly take cold, crisp and clear with some snow as well! General point being as long as I can get out for a walk after work I'm not too bothered about it being a boring winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is trying to brighten up in Castlebar today after 58mm of rain in the last 48 hours, gusty and cool though.

Dull + cool here

Xenji wrote: »
    It is trying to brighten up in Castlebar today after 58mm of rain in the last 48 hours, gusty and cool though.

It keeps trying out here too; sudden shafts of dazzling sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Mad stuff. Scotland was the warmest, coldest, wettest and sunniest place in the UK yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

US2 wrote: »

The UK got hit by Storm Barbara yesterday … all they needed with their other problems.

Last night and now feels to be the first really cold night so far. My fingers are barely working.

Wish I had a thermometer etc. It would be interesting to compare accurately.

The wind has stilled so all is quiet.

West mayo offshore

Today is blue! Azure ocean in bright sun... Wide cloudless skies

And a chill that nips the fingers.. but worth it for the view..a sight to rest the mind and refresh the soul..

West Mayo offshore

Graces7 wrote: »
    The UK got hit by Storm Barbara yesterday … all they needed with their other problems.
    Did they use the same name twice? I vaguely remember a Storm Barbara a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Did they use the same name twice? I vaguely remember a Storm Barbara a few years ago.

There's two different naming systems with two different lists, the UK/Ireland/Netherlands and France/Spain/Belgium/Portugal. This Barbara was named by the latter. The Barbara you remember from December 2016 was named by UK Met.

A wet and windy couple of days ahead for western counties. I cannot copy on this machine... met ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Galway and Mayo

Rain on Friday evening through to Saturday morning will lead to accumulations of 20 – 40mm, with higher accumulations in mountainous areas. This will bring a risk of localised flooding and heightened risk of flash flooding in mountainous areas.

Valid: 21:00 Friday 23/10/2020 to 09:00 Saturday 24/10/2020

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry

South to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h. Winds speeds may be higher in coastal and exposed areas.

Valid: 22:00 Friday 23/10/2020 to 07:00 Saturday 24/10/2020

Is today the equinox?

• Advertisement

And a wild wet old night out here.

west mayo offshore

Advertisement