Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glenroe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

jacknife wrote: »
    i watched the program about Glenroe on sunday night, brought back memories, i grew up with Glenroe, and have the same memories that everyone else had that the weekend was over and school the next day.

i think the program came to the end of its life, Ireland was a different place in 2001, look at Emmerdale Farm how that program changed from a rural drama focused on a family to the soap it is now.

Its a pity there are not more episodes on youtube, generations of Irish people will always remember Glenroe in its heyday and those of us who we in school at the time, the ending theme signaled school was about to begin again

didn't get to watch this on the night, tried to find it on the player but couldn't - anyone know where I may be able to get it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Dinny falling off the ladder was another end of series cliffhanger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Anyone know what happened to the actor who played Hoppy? Used to work as a barman in Dublin. Last I remember he was in a scene in the Mike Basset movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'm watching it on YouTube all morning! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the actor who played Hoppy? Used to work as a barman in Dublin. Last I remember he was in a scene in the Mike Basset movie.

Here is his IMDB entry.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2689624/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Ruu wrote: »

One of Mynas ever expanding brood of teenage children.It was ridiculous the way they used to introduce them into the series.They'd just appear out of the blue in an episode usually argueing with Mynah at the breakfast table about being late for school or something and in such a way that we were supposed to believe they were there all along.As well as Hoppy there was a daughter and I think another son,and they'd all be introduced at intervals when the makers decided it was time for another teenage character in a desperate attempt to get younger viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Remember this ad Joe Lynch did as Dinny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'd forgotten about that!

Mick Lally used to do a lot of ads, though as himself, I dont recall him doing any as Miley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Remember this ad Joe Lynch did as Dinny?]

Not really but seems vaguely familiar.

Mick Lally famous for singing also of course:

I wouldn't really stay listening to it but lot better than you'd think, right?

• Advertisement

Not really but seems vaguely familiar.

Mick Lally famous for singing also of course:

I wouldn't really stay listening to it but lot better than you'd think, right?

I remember that was featured in Glenroe in a storyline where he goes to a recording studio and records it in character as Miley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Old thread dredged up here I know but does anyone recall the plot of the last episode of Glenroe?

Miley and Fidelma in the hay. The dirty feckers!

Anyone find Fidelma strangely attractive or was that just due to the lack of talent in the show? (i hope it was the latter)

Nyom nyom nyom :P

The YouTube channel that had the 1985 episode has gone, probably hit with a copyright strike. They had several other later episodes as well, pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Miley and Fidelma in the hay. The dirty feckers!

Anyone find Fidelma strangely attractive or was that just due to the lack of talent in the show? (i hope it was the latter)

Well most young, fit (and some non-fit) women are attractive. Did I find her unusually attractive? No, she was fairly unremarkable.

OLDYELLAR wrote: »
    Ou member that chuck guy , He was deadly!!
    Miley needed a hair cut badly , jesus that song the byroad to glenroe :)

I'd forgotten about Chuck, lol.He was having it off with Fidelma while she was engaged to Rory I think.

I remember in one of the early series she was going out with a guy called Lar who was supposed to be "ethnic", I think he was Middle Eastern. If I remember correctly the actor playing him looked suspiciously like he was in brown face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Whenever I heard the tune - it was time to do the homework!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Firetrap wrote: »
    I stopped watching it a few years before it was cancelled - I don't know if it was because the show got worse or if I'd grown up a bit and realised it was a load of rubbish. I have some fond memories of it though - Fr Devereux's greyhound getting impregnated by some Heinz 57, Fiona asking around in the pub for some grass (Miley thought she was on about silage), Dick Moran up to no good.

Like plenty of others here, the theme tune sounded an ominous tone and I didn't have ANY of my homework done.

If I remember correctly it was Terry, the posh English one, who was asking about grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I can't believe she called him an asshole :eek: Glenroe used to be on pre-watershed around 7 or 8 o'clock wasn't it?

• Advertisement

I can't believe she called him an asshole :eek: Glenroe used to be on pre-watershed around 7 or 8 o'clock wasn't it?

Yes but Glenroe left the stage in 2001- by that time there would have been a level of acceptance by the nation of such rudey words :P

Remember when Biddy called Fr Tracey a gob*****?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

branie2 wrote: »
    No, but I won't hold that against her, he certainly was one ;)

branie2 wrote: »

I think I'd largely stopped watching it by that stage, can just about remember him. Funnily that actor Philip O Sullivan also played the younger priest in Leave It To Mrs O Brien, gawdawful 80s "comedy".

Speaking of swear words in Glenroe Dinny often used to use the word "shagging" or shaggin from the beginning, in the context of "that shaggin useless yoke" etc.

No, but I won't hold that against her, he certainly was one ;)

He was similar to priests from the 1950s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Speaking of swear words in Glenroe Dinny often used to use the word "shagging" or shaggin from the beginning, in the context of "that shaggin useless yoke" etc.

My dad does that too... the way feckin used today

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Miley's expression "holy god" is mild in comparison then

The episode that killed off George. I think Alan Stanford had left ages ago at this point in a pay dispute. The writers explained his absence by having him go on an expedition to Peru. Eventually poor George had to go and its handled in an interesting fashion.

This sums up Glenroe in its last couple of years. Too many bland, interchangeable teenage characters who youd be pressed to put a name to, bad acting, terrible scripts and cringeworthy attempts to stay relevant.

How did they handle killing off Dinny in the show? I don't think I was watching it at that point. Presume as with George he died offscreen seeing as Joe Lynch had left accrimoniously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

My memory might be playing tricks on me but did they not start off the season with his funeral. I think the story was that he died suddenly. But I could be wrong on that score.

While Joe Lynch's leaving probably delivered the final blow to Glenroe, you could argue that it was already past its sell by date at that stage

Yes, it had been in decline for a good while with uninspired writing, jumping the shark plots and forgettable new characters, the writing was on the wall really from about 97/98 on. It was heavily dependent on a small core of established characters and it couldnt survive the loss of both Dinny and Biddy and a short space of time.

Something I only found out recently is that Joe Lynch did all the voices for an ITV children's cartoon series from the late 70s called Chorlton And The Wheelies. The range of regional British accents he does here is impressive, especially the demented Welsh witch.

Did RTE ever show this, I dont recall seeing it growing up?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

No age given, must have been at least mid 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭batman75

Rest in peace to Emmett Bergin. We had some cracking local actors in Glenroe. When you compare it to the shite that is Fair City it was light years ahead. Real character, not caricatures.

I loved the intro music and the great interactions between Miley & Dinny.

Newly created Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_Bergin

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

1993 I was 13.

I remember this actress 😋

He started in Glenroe from 1983 though, not 93.

Hi. I didn't make the Wiki. Thankfully someone has corrected that error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I was watching Italian giallo The Iguana With The Tongue Of Fire (1971) on Wednesday evening & Emmet Bergin made an appearance. 

It was filmed in Dublin & a couple of scenes in Waterford (bridge in the fog)

Niall Toibin and Des Nealon also turn up. The latter is 1:36 on the trailer.

Hes in this McVities ad which looks like it might be from roughly the same time. The bear sounds like its voiced by whoever did Judge in Wanderly Wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think he was just practicing for years, in advance of his scene with Fidelma.

OH HOLY GOD FIDELMA.

Ahem, sorry, barring order just up recently, chemist out of medication - just couldn't help meself🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 foxhunter2024

Biddy was ever bullying that she didn’t get a shot of patie on the hay.

She would kango the floor for pipe.

Advertisement