Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genealogy Christmas

Options
  • 08-10-2020 1:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of the historic deaths seem to be online on www.irishgenealogy.ie
    Perhaps being uploaded piecemeal?

Shane Wilson (formerly of this parish) alerted me to it on Twitter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Press release (doesn't seem to be on website yet but I emailed a contact)

Ministers Martin and Humphreys Announce Release of More Historic Records Online

Additional images taken from the Registers of Death for the years 1871 to 1877 are now available to view on the website, www.irishgenealogy.ie. In total, images for 671,599 Death entries have been added to the website meaning over 15.5 million register records are now available to the public to view and research online on the www.irishgenealology.ie website.

The records now available online include:

· Birth register records – 1864 to 1919

· Marriage register records – 1845 to 1944

· Death register records – 1871 to 1969

Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, Catherine Martin, T.D., welcomed this latest release:

"This release of death register data by the Civil Registration Service is part of an ongoing partnership between my Department and the Department of Social Protection, Community and Rural Development and the Islands. The aim is to make all of these historic records freely and easily accessible to all members of the public both at home and throughout our Diaspora".

Ms Heather Humphreys T.D., Minister for Social Protection said:

“I welcome the addition of these further years of Civil Death register entries. I had the pleasure four years ago of making most of these records available on the www.irishgenealogy.ie website, when I was Minister for the Arts, and it is wonderful to see that the Civil Registration Service of my Department has now nearly made all of these records available to be searched freely online”.

ENDS

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finally got to see a cert with a surname variation that could have been my 3xg-grandfather; dying rather a lot earlier than his wife so I'd never bought it. Its definitely him. Decided to look around for other records on the basis that they may have used that variation, found a few more.

Only death in that timespan but delivered the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I got the death of two of my 3x great grandfathers in that new batch. One died of gastroenteritis lasting 3 months aged 56 while the other was aged 64 and died of TB lasting 2 years. I also got the death for a 3x great grandmother who died of old age at the age of 75. I can't manage to find a 3x great grandfather's death in 1871. I have the date of death from his headstone but his death doesn't seem to have been registered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I got a 4x great-grandmother, but I only discovered her last month so not waiting a long time to kill her off. Another of that generation will have to wait as he died in 1870.

Also some infant death confirmations that I had always suspected.

Interestingly, three deaths I needed for my one name study (article in journal soon) are all mistranscriptions. Indexes all say Ure. 2 were Usher and one was Maher!

I now have no outstanding deaths on my personal "to get" BMD list.
    Most of what remains are post-data protection now and just box-ticking i.e. I don't expect to learn anything new from those certs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

srmf5 wrote: »
    I have the date of death from his headstone but his death doesn't seem to have been registered.

Do allow for the fact that dates on headstones can be wrong.

Paper records can vary considerably too.

I've just checked a civil record for one of mine and the date is five months later than the parish register.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

mod9maple wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone has heard any word of the deaths being put online back to 1864 on Irishgenealogy.ie? The wait is becoming interminable. I don't know how many times I've read someone being quoted as saying 'soon' in the last few years.

Coincidence? I think not. They realised the natives were getting restless. You're all welcome. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Hermy wrote: »
    Do allow for the fact that dates on headstones can be wrong.

Paper records can vary considerably too.

I've just checked a civil record for one of mine and the date is five months later than the parish register.

I did a wide search. I did a search from 1864 to 1901 and there were no results. If you want to check, he was William Feenaghty (variation of Finnerty) and the headstone has his date of death as 28th Jan 1871. His address was Tully in the parish of Kilcorkey in Roscommon. The headstone records him as aged 84 (b. about 1787) but family notes have his birth date as 25th February 1788 and aged 82 when he died.

I have a few incorrect headstones in my family. Most are just out by a few days though. I have one where the headstone records a relative as having died on 19th December 1891 aged 17. However, she actually died on 12th December 1887 aged 21. It says on the headstone that it was erected by her sister in the US so it could have been put up years after her death.

Advertisement