Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pier-jumping

• 08-08-2020 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

I want to jump off a pier this weekend. As I witter on about a lot, I have terminal cancer. I don’t have a bucket list because it’s too much pressure but recently I was at Doolin pier and I was so envious of all the people cannonballing off it and I cursed not having a swimsuit with me. So I want to do it. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but was too terrified to. I’m still terrified but I’m DOING it.

I’m in the Dublin area. Does anyone know of piers in greater Dublin that are safeish to jump off? I’ll consider Meath and Wicklow too. I can swim but I’m noodle-armed so I wouldn’t be a very strong swimmer so nothing too choppy. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not a pier but the Forty Foot at Sandy Cove would be a good place to go for a jump.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

While there's plenty of signs not to do it, I have seen mostly teenagers fire themselves off howth pier.

Water looks manky and full of diesel, but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I can't give specific location advice but as someone who regularly jumps, dives, bombs off my local pier I can confirm its great craic! And definitely brings out the inner child.

Hope you get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not a pier but the Forty Foot at Sandy Cove would be a good place to go for a jump.

Is that a nudey place, Emmet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

While there's plenty of signs not to do it, I have seen mostly teenagers fire themselves off howth pier.

Water looks manky and full of diesel, but each to their own.

I’m already fucked healthwise, so no worries there. :pac:

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    I can't give specific location advice but as someone who regularly jumps, dives, bombs off my local pier I can confirm its great craic! And definitely brings out the inner child.

Hope you get sorted!

It’ll be cold, won’t it? I should prepare for coldness, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I’m already fucked healthwise, so no worries there. :pac:

Fair enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah no. This time of year the water is quite nice. It does take a few seconds to get used to it. A quick, short shock is always better than easing in slowly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I don't have any pier suggestions . I'm not very confident in water and don't like cold water but I jumped off a pier in Kerry some years ago with a wetsuit and it was brilliant. I must have done it at least 15 times. The wetsuit kept me warm and made me more bouyant which made me more confident. Thoroughly recommended it, maybe you could borrow one off someone.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ah no. This time of year the water is quite nice. It does take a few seconds to get used to it. A quick, short shock is always better than easing in slowly!

Okay, that makes me less scared. A lot less scared.

• Advertisement

Is that a nudey place, Emmet?

That’s more of an early morning, elderly, “scene”. Not a pretty sight either.

It’s not the worst in weather like this. No harm in having a “dip” in the water first to get used to it.

Or, like the poster above said, see about a wetsuit.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

That’s more of an early morning, elderly, “scene”. Not a pretty sight either.

I’m sure it’s not, but it does sound quite empowering.

If you find yourself near Loughrea, head straight for the safest place in Ireland to do this, at the Blue Flag bathing place where there are no tides or currents, two piers and a sandy bottom. And it's fully life-guarded, got a great big car park, a shelter for dressing, and best of all, the water is warmer than most of the sea.Worth treating yourself to a night near Loughrea to do this, and if going by public transport it's a pleasant lakeside walk from town.

If you find yourself near Loughrea, head straight for the safest place in Ireland to do this, at the Blue Flag bathing place where there are no tides or currents, two piers and a sandy bottom. And it's fully life-guarded, got a great big car park, a shelter for dressing, and best of all, the water is warmer than most of the sea.Worth treating yourself to a night near Loughrea to do this, and if going by public transport it's a pleasant lakeside walk from town.

I’ll be down that direction in a week or so. Thanks for the tip! I’ll be packing the swimsuit now. :)

KiKi III wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s not, but it does sound quite empowering.

I’ve gone “skinny dipping” a few times, K. It’s a bit of craic but you’re far better served in a swimming pool than a rocky sea shore.

Having to clamber back up onto the rocks, then “gingerly“ make your way along the barnacle, seaweed and sharp rocks is not a very elegant, or empowering sight.

Beaches are fine too but the swimming pool, usually, is a lot warmer so “man things” don’t tend to shrink as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I want to jump off a pier this weekend. As I witter on about a lot, I have terminal cancer. I don’t have a bucket list because it’s too much pressure but recently I was at Doolin pier and I was so envious of all the people cannonballing off it and I cursed not having a swimsuit with me. So I want to do it. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but was too terrified to. I’m still terrified but I’m DOING it.

I’m in the Dublin area. Does anyone know of piers in greater Dublin that are safeish to jump off? I’ll consider Meath and Wicklow too. I can swim but I’m noodle-armed so I wouldn’t be a very strong swimmer so nothing too choppy. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Hook up with some of these lads. They'll help you out if you tell them you want to try it because you're unwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtG2wLtxXEY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

If you do the 40 foot let me know. I'll bring my camera and take a shot of you hurtling through the air you can show to your family :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd jump with you, if I could, best of luck with things

I’ll be down that direction in a week or so. Thanks for the tip! I’ll be packing the swimsuit now. :)

Ask for directions to Long Point beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I remember some of my friends choosing pier jumping as an activity in an adventure centre in Carlingford and the pier there looked quite safe.
    I chose rock pooling...

• Advertisement

Long Point Beach

https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/republic-of-ireland/county-galway/loughrea-lake.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If you get as far as loughrea you may as well travel the extra half hour to salthill and take a bounce off the diving board.. not a pier but it's a good oul height. If you want to to stay closer to the capital do as the kids from sherriffer do and jump off the Rosey Hackett bridge into the Liffey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

40 foot at high tide you can jump from a good height off the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I fully approve of this thread.

Did this many a time in Carlingford

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Thanks for the reminder about going at high tide, folks. I had totally forgotten about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Darrener

Saw a few kids jumping into the marina off a pier in Greystones earlier

Darrener wrote: »
    Saw a few kids jumping into the marina off a pier in Greystones earlier

A very pretty place too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Aldi have wet suits in stock tomorrow, 25 euros, bargain if you plan on jumping a few times, keep you from freezing.
    Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gogo wrote: »
    Aldi have wet suits in stock tomorrow, 25 euros, bargain if you plan on jumping a few times, keep you from freezing.
    Best of luck with it!

i use one of these, theyre grand for farting around

• Advertisement

Another dopey question: how close to high tide can you jump off things into water? Like say if I chose the Forty Foot. Is it only in the, say, hour before and after that it would be okay? Or do I have more time than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Another dopey question: how close to high tide can you jump off things into water? Like say if I chose the Forty Foot. Is it only in the, say, hour before and after that it would be okay? Or do I have more time than that?

No you can jump in to the forty foot from level with the water at low tide but if you want to jump off the rocks from a little bit of height you’d probably want a couple of hours before or after high tide. If it’s neap tide you’d have more but you wouldn’t want to over think it. Go out on a nice day and you’ll soon see what people are at. Not sure if your male or female but I used to go out with a bunch of lads and you always felt real manly until from around the rocks a bunch of quite old women would come swimming, a pal used to call them the monkstown menopausal society. They are out all the time and are proper tough women.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

There is a like stump off Balscadden in Howth think it's called Cat Rock people jump off it, fairly high mind you. Looks like great crack.

Might be best sussing places out at low tide so you can get an idea of rocks under as some can come quite close even at high tide. (I know from loosing fishing gear!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

If you are coming a bit further than Loughrea then the Blackrock tower in Salthill is a great spot around high tide. Especially nice if it on a high spring tide. Week running into Friday the 21st will be spring tides.

Really sorry to hear about your diagnosis but love your attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

HOWTH:
    No other info other than what I found at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2xb3w2_ok

• Advertisement

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    HOWTH:
    No other info other than what I found at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2xb3w2_ok

That's Balscadden at the start with the diving board. Walk/Drive to the car park up there and there is a (fairly sketchy) route down to it to the left of the entrance to the cliff walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    That's Balscadden at the start with the diving board. Walk/Drive to the car park up there and there is a (fairly sketchy) route down to it to the left of the entrance to the cliff walk.

Got a Google map link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a hoot. There's a fairly big one here near Cork and I'm trying to get someone to go with me to it. Going to do it on my own if I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

If you find a decent height to bomb in from, a word of advice: either have your arms extended above your head as you go in feet first, or else have them down by your sides as you hit the water. On no account have them out wide like some magnificent albatross.

The bruising is epic. And the shame is epicer. Trust me.

Redderneck wrote: »
    If you find a decent height to bomb in from, a word of advice: either have your arms extended above your head as you go in feet first, or else have them down by your sides as you hit the water. On no account have them out wide like some magnificent albatross.

The bruising is epic. And the shame is epicer. Trust me.

Did that jumping into ‘The Wormhole’ on Inis Mór. Some sting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Cahore Pier, Co. Wexford is a great spot. Port Oriel (Clogherhead Harbour), Co. Louth is also a nice spot to do it, with a bonus of multiple seals in with you at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

fixXxer wrote: »
    Got a Google map link?
    It's in the comments for that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Cahore or the north pier in Wicklow town,

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

If you're going it alone and haven't done this before, I would at least make sure there are other people around. Even this time a year, if you're not used to it, you can get an initial blast of cold water shock, only lasts a few seconds but it can take your breath away and you could find yourself gasping for air, easy to take on water and get into trouble, for someone that doesn't expect it. Once you get over that, it'll be grand and very enjoyable.

You often see elderly people go into the shallows and splash water over themselves before jumping off the deep end, that helps take out the cold water shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Colimore harbour is a good bet for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Vico but it's not a big jump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know you said Dublin or maybe Meath but Westmeath has Lough Owel with a great pier to jump off. It's high enough to give you a rush but not outrageous. It's right on the N4 too and many times I've stopped on my way out/bac from the West to have a quick plunge.

12049064754_0e366e84f0_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

+1

Very safe place to jump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Misread thread title.

Thought it was about jumping Piers Morgan.

Failure. We chose Greystones because it was the least busy place to go today and the choppiness of the sea scared me. My bones are crappy so I’m not that strong. We took a dip at beach level and a wave completely knocked me over and I struggled to stand up again. I was always brought up to respect the water and if something doesn’t feel right, don’t do it. And I didn’t handle the cold water that well.

Also, my wedding ring belongs to the sea now.

But I’m glad we tried. We’re setting our sights on the lake in Loughrea next weekend. I think lake might be better than sea. From experience, lakes warm up a bit better over the summer. Not by much but enough to take the chill out. Today was kind of a fact-finding mission.

• Advertisement
Advertisement